Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 08:36 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
New England Journal of Medicine disagrees:

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...r_pub%3dpubmed
That is an op-ed (opinion piece, also known as an editorial), first published on April Fool's Day. Medical science has provided more up to date information since then. That's why the CDC changed the recommendation three months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 09:52 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Walmart policy, per the greeter, was "you can cite a medical exemption and you will not be required to furnish documentation, however it's a good idea to keep it on you".

I think the greeter may have been alluding to all the people calling the cops on said mask-less person.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:06 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
More states have also introduced mask orders.

With coronavirus cases rising in dozens of states, America's two biggest retailers have made masks mandatory for shoppers nationwide. Walmart announced Wednesday that face masks will be required at all Walmart and Sam's Clubs locations as of Monday, the Washington Post reports. The company said around two-thirds of its stores are in areas where public health regulations already require masks to be worn.

https://www.newser.com/story/293644/...mandatory.html

Finally! Great news, it's about time!

Old 07-21-2020, 01:04 AM

948 posts, read 921,499 times
Walmart started their masks required policy today, so I'll do all my grocery shopping there for now. It's not my favorite store, but it's the only grocery store near me that requires masks. Some of the other stores around here don't start for at least a week. I won't buy anything in those stores until their mask policy kicks in, because for now I can shop avoid the anti-maskers by shopping at Walmart.

This article lists the start dates for mask requirements at various stores.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...ear-face-masks

Old 07-21-2020, 01:12 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
It makes sense if a business can see trouble coming to stop it at the door instead of allowing it to come inside the store.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:32 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have asthma, Ive tried wearing a mask, its very difficult to breath!

Ive not had any problems though, anytime a retailer or store says something to me about a mask, I just tell them I have a medical issue (breathing) and they say nothing more about it...

and that is THE LAW....they are NOT allowed to ask further details about anyones medical conditions, we have laws that protect us against that fortunately, even police are not permitted to ask about someones medical conditions, or what medicine they may be taking, how much, dosage, etc.

KNOW YOUR RIGHTS PEOPLE!
I wish stores would tell anyone who claims they can't wear a mask inside that they need to use curbside pickup. If you're too sick to wear a mask, you're too sick to be out in public shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Walmart started their masks required policy today, so I'll do all my grocery shopping there for now. It's not my favorite store, but it's the only grocery store near me that requires masks. Some of the other stores around here don't start for at least a week. I won't buy anything in those stores until their mask policy kicks in, because for now I can shop avoid the anti-maskers by shopping at Walmart.
I don't get why some stores are waiting so long. Target isn't requiring masks until August 1. Why? It's not like enforcing mask policies requires the store to undergo any changes. All you do is slap a few signs on the door and around the store as a reminder. That doesn't take 2 weeks. My county gave everyone 2 days notice that a mask mandate was going into effect. All the stores has their signage up without issue in those 2 days.

It just gives the anti maskers more ammunition to claim masks don't work. If ThEy WoRkEd StOrEs wOuLdN't wAiT tWo WeEkS!!

Old 07-21-2020, 02:47 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Claiming asthma is nothing but bull crap!

I have moderate asthma and chronic bronchitis and wore a mask all day at work

Drs and nurses do it all the time

I have several friends who are nurses and compounding pharmacists who wear N95s all day

And, I know one fireman with asthma who has to wear a respirator most days

Nothing but bull!

Wear your DAMN masks !!!!!!!!!!!!

Those that refuse to wear masks are the anti-establishment idiots, you know those that don't use signals when driving, roll through stop signs, had a temper tantrum as a kid when they didn't get what they wanted.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:47 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
New England Journal of Medicine disagrees:

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...r_pub%3dpubmed
You really should read the whole paper. Especially this part:
"More compelling is the possibility that wearing a mask may reduce the likelihood of transmission from asymptomatic and minimally symptomatic health care workers with Covid-19 to other providers and patients. This concern increases as Covid-19 becomes more widespread in the community."

Old 07-21-2020, 03:45 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Wrong, if you come into my establishment without a mask, I would ask you to put it on or go. If your medical condition is that bad you better have a handicap sticker on the car and an oxygen tank around your waist. If not, you are full of BS, I also know my rights.
There are a lot of chronic illnesses that aren't visible. You can't tell by looking at someone if they have asthma, cancer, have had an organ transplant, etc. Any chronic illness that affects your ability to perform a necessary life activity (like breathing or eating) is considered a disability.

But you only have to make reasonable accommodations in order not to be discriminating against someone's disability. For example, I wanted to go into the gun store to pick up my husband's birthday gift. They weren't letting anyone in unless they used the store-provided hand sanitizer, which I can't use because I have anaphylactic reactions to it. I had a package of gloves I offered to put on, they said it had to be their hand sanitizer or nothing. So I asked the employee to take my credit card in and get my husband's gift, and she did. That was a reasonable accommodation.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:58 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
But you only have to make reasonable accommodations in order not to be discriminating against someone's disability. For example, I wanted to go into the gun store to pick up my husband's birthday gift. They weren't letting anyone in unless they used the store-provided hand sanitizer, which I can't use because I have anaphylactic reactions to it. I had a package of gloves I offered to put on, they said it had to be their hand sanitizer or nothing. So I asked the employee to take my credit card in and get my husband's gift, and she did. That was a reasonable accommodation.

I sure hope the woman and whoever else handled your credit card used their hand sanitizer afterwards. Or better yet, washed their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness