Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 09:01 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
DH has had neck pain and reduction in movement for several years, and the doctor is recommending his discs be replaced with Prestige LP Cervical Disc System.

Has anyone had this done and what were your results?
I have no personal knowledge about the system; however, there are many YouTube Videos:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Prestige+L...deos&ia=videos

What I have discovered is that within the comments section beneath many videos there are personal stories and other links that may be of use, in addition to the videos themselves.

There is also a spine forum called ispine.org, which, unfortunately does not have recent comments, though I see that there are people viewing:

iSpine - ISPINE.ORG Forum
Prestige LP Cervical ADR approved - ISPINE.ORG Forum

There are probably other forums where people share their experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 09:27 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
This has been an ongoing problem after rolling an ATV onto himself.

He had 3 shoulder surgeries, which where the main damage was, and the neck has been getting worse over the years.

His pain level is high enough where is ready for the surgery. Right now he can barely move his neck to one side. But, due to Covid, no injection until March. I feel horrible for him. He still does all the PT he has been given on a daily basis.

For a while if I walked on his back it helped, but right now it is too painful. We have a neck sling that you hang from a door handle and lay (lie?) in and that is helping a bit. He'll try it tonight and take a muscle relaxant first.

He was taking so much tylenol that his liver test came back with a spike, so they gave him painkillers, but he hates taking them.
I tried a door/neck sling contraption myself and did not find it at all helpful. If anything, it caused more problems and my physical therapist does not approve of those things herself.

My best help was seeing a cervical/spine physical therapist at my HMO. Her physical work/manipulations were by far the most effective, and she also gave me a lot of exercises to do, which also helped.

She also ordered and had sent the following ComforTrac cervical traction unit to my home, without cost to me. (It sells for around $350-$400 online.) It is helpful, but only when I use it.

Here is is:

https://comfortrac.net/cervical-traction/

Here are some videos that show how to use it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZKhP1NPp3s <-------relaxing music (2008)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2Ds8EbAU0 <---- This PT says it is best value (2019)

(He discusses not only the unit, but costs, etc.)
(The above PT also lists some other items he has found to help)

I hope your husband finds some relief soon. Good luck

Old 12-29-2020, 03:36 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
I also googled, I see it's not fusion but movable replacements. I'm lumbar fused, it ruined my life. I met a gal that got the movable disks in Germany, at least one in each level of her spine, she did great. If it was me, I'd go to the links provided to see what others say about the US version. I know Germany was cheap with great results. Unfortunately, I'm fused with rods and screws so can't be helped. I wish I waited to go to Germany. The gal told me it was $10,000 back in 2006. Tons of info on ADR in Germany on google.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:54 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

There are probably other forums where people share their experiences.
There's a forum on spine-health.com that has a fair number of users and posts. I poked around on it before and immediately after my surgery.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:08 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
My mom had it done and my late husband had it done. Both fine. Hubby was sorry he waited so long to do it as his neck pain vastly improved.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:57 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
This has been an ongoing problem after rolling an ATV onto himself.

He had 3 shoulder surgeries, which where the main damage was, and the neck has been getting worse over the years.

His pain level is high enough where is ready for the surgery. Right now he can barely move his neck to one side. But, due to Covid, no injection until March. I feel horrible for him. He still does all the PT he has been given on a daily basis.

For a while if I walked on his back it helped, but right now it is too painful. We have a neck sling that you hang from a door handle and lay (lie?) in and that is helping a bit. He'll try it tonight and take a muscle relaxant first.

He was taking so much tylenol that his liver test came back with a spike, so they gave him painkillers, but he hates taking them.
Why are they delaying his injection due to covid? I would push for that. And either go back to his prescribed painkillers or call the nurse and ask for something different. I feel so sorry for him.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:00 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Why are they delaying his injection due to covid? I would push for that. And either go back to his prescribed painkillers or call the nurse and ask for something different. I feel so sorry for him.
So do I. Really can't force the doctors though.

I have very strict rules about who I do not **** off, people who do my hair, people who give me food, people who are going to be doing painful medical procedures....

He still has painkillers, no doctor is against that.

I am not the boss of him, lol.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-30-2020, 03:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I also googled, I see it's not fusion but movable replacements. I'm lumbar fused, it ruined my life. I met a gal that got the movable disks in Germany, at least one in each level of her spine, she did great. If it was me, I'd go to the links provided to see what others say about the US version. I know Germany was cheap with great results. Unfortunately, I'm fused with rods and screws so can't be helped. I wish I waited to go to Germany. The gal told me it was $10,000 back in 2006. Tons of info on ADR in Germany on google.
yes, I've looked into that as well...google ONZ...amazing motion preserving artificial discs and facet joints..People from all over the world go there, their websites offer a lot of excellent services for international patients.
It's sad that fusions are still the standard for most people.
I guess it boils down to.. can you afford them or not!

Old 12-31-2020, 03:14 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
yes, I've looked into that as well...google ONZ...amazing motion preserving artificial discs and facet joints..People from all over the world go there, their websites offer a lot of excellent services for international patients.
It's sad that fusions are still the standard for most people.
I guess it boils down to.. can you afford them or not!
ONZ disc replacement, that's not where the gal I met went but their ADR (artificial disk replacement) looks awesome. It says it's their 3rd generation. They're way more advanced then the US with ADR.

As I was saying, the gal I met spent $10,000, she had about 5 or 6 levels replaced so it's not that expensive. That included airfare and hotel.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:55 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
That's amazing Roselvr...I'm envious of her.
Course the price has probably skyrocketed in 14 years.
Would you be willing to share why you feel the lumbar fusion you've had has "ruined" your life?
Might help others who're being offered that option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness