Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 02:28 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
That's amazing Roselvr...I'm envious of her.
Course the price has probably skyrocketed in 14 years.
Would you be willing to share why you feel the lumbar fusion you've had has "ruined" your life?
Might help others who're being offered that option.
Sorry, missed replying.

A spine is meant to be flexible. Fusing stiffens it. Not only that but for the last few years I have a domino effect going where disks on top of my L5S1 fusion are are also going. I won't fuse again, it will be artificial disks even if I have to go to Germany to get it. I don't know if they could take my fusion out to give me an ADR for my L5S1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 09:47 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Sorry, missed replying.

A spine is meant to be flexible. Fusing stiffens it. Not only that but for the last few years I have a domino effect going where disks on top of my L5S1 fusion are are also going. I won't fuse again, it will be artificial disks even if I have to go to Germany to get it. I don't know if they could take my fusion out to give me an ADR for my L5S1.
yes, flexible.
unfortunately fusions are the norm.
Sometimes I wonder if the adjacent segments wouldn't have deteriorated anyways, even without the fusion.
Its a shame that motion preserving artificial discs and facet joints aren't the norm. They should be by now, but maybe it's got something to do with the cost...not sure.
I only wish that option was available to all needy spine patients, as I feel it should be.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
yes, flexible.
unfortunately fusions are the norm.
Sometimes I wonder if the adjacent segments wouldn't have deteriorated anyways, even without the fusion.
Its a shame that motion preserving artificial discs and facet joints aren't the norm. They should be by now, but maybe it's got something to do with the cost...not sure.
I only wish that option was available to all needy spine patients, as I feel it should be.

They're starting to do the ADR here now. They started it back when I was originally fused in 2001 but not many did it. It's taken 20 years for them to be doing them

Old 03-17-2021, 11:26 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
It's taken 20 years for them to be doing them
yes...pretty saaad. You'd think the surgeons would be more exited about performing these motion preserving surgeries, but unfortunately for the spine patients, they're not.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:53 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Well, after all the tests the doctor is on board to do surgery NOW, but DH wants to wait because of upcoming trips. He will get an epidural in the interim, and have the surgery next fall/winter.

He is stubborn.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-18-2021, 05:43 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
My father had this in his neck years ago and he did the traction device for months before it finally went away. I can't imagine having it for years. He was in a lot of pain. That was way before the artificial disc.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:07 AM

30 posts, read 23,268 times
I will probably need intervention for 3 or 4 degenerated cervical discs - I find out at my initial consultation next week. I may also need to have the C3 - C5 vertebrae straightened and realigned. MY MRI revealed a real mess in my neck.

Does anyone know if these cervical spine surgeries are done with a combination of some fused discs and some artificial discs - or is it only done type of remedy per surgery?

Old 05-04-2021, 01:18 PM

So epidural is tomorrow, crossing fingers it works, and works at least through the summer.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So epidural is tomorrow, crossing fingers it works, and works at least through the summer.
Did it help?

Old 05-10-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Did it help?
Maybe? For the first few days he was worse than before the shot. Today was the first day he is better. Meaning he can turn his neck about 20 degrees before it seizes up. His pain is less, but it was damn bad.

Sooooo.... we talked this morning that he probably should just schedule the artificial cervical discs for this winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness