Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 08:49 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times

Advertisements

Definitely sounds like LPR to me. I had most of those symptoms and they seemed to improve after I did a 4-month course of Protonix along with a daily steroid inhaler from the allergist and some dietary modification. It got to the point where I was having esophageal spasms and drinking hot liquid would make my esophagus spasm as it was going down. I would wake up in the middle of the night with a horrible squeezing feeling in my chest too. I did have an endoscopy, but by the time I had it, my symptoms had calmed down quite a bit and it was negative. I still sleep with my head raised and now eat dinner much earlier, which seems to help.

Typically in allergy season (winter for me since I am allergic to dust), I get more of the blob feeling in my throat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 09:22 PM

415 posts, read 371,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Definitely sounds like LPR to me. I had most of those symptoms and they seemed to improve after I did a 4-month course of Protonix along with a daily steroid inhaler from the allergist and some dietary modification. It got to the point where I was having esophageal spasms and drinking hot liquid would make my esophagus spasm as it was going down. I would wake up in the middle of the night with a horrible squeezing feeling in my chest too. I did have an endoscopy, but by the time I had it, my symptoms had calmed down quite a bit and it was negative. I still sleep with my head raised and now eat dinner much earlier, which seems to help.

Typically in allergy season (winter for me since I am allergic to dust), I get more of the blob feeling in my throat.
Would it just feel like a nightmare as you were eating? Not sure if it is because of inflammation but it literally feels like as soon as food hits my throat there is extreme fullness and swelling and I can't finish my meal because it is so uncomfortable, feeling like food is getting stuck.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:22 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
OP: Look up "globus sensation".

Old 01-04-2021, 09:49 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
Would it just feel like a nightmare as you were eating? Not sure if it is because of inflammation but it literally feels like as soon as food hits my throat there is extreme fullness and swelling and I can't finish my meal because it is so uncomfortable, feeling like food is getting stuck.

I'm so sorry. That's a scary, horrible feeling. I have no idea myself, but keep us posted! I haven't really experienced what you have, I don't think, but have had an occasional funny feeling when swallowing food. No fun. I know I've inhaled food a few times too, which I hate when that happens & I've gone to urgenet care about it the 1st time it happened. That never happened to me in my life until 1.5 yrs ago.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:10 AM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Get a Covid test stat.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:25 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
Did he do an endoscopy?
You need an endoscopy if you have trouble swallowing. You could have GERD but it is also possible that you have thyroid issues which is pressing on your esophagus. They may not find any issue with the endoscopy and will have to do a barium test to see if partially digested food and bile is coming back up. I have this issue also and it gets worse around Christmas time with foods and drinking. Right now it is pretty bad so I have changed my diet and no alcohol. In the meantime, try eliminating any acidic foods, coffee (if you can't try reducing to one cup), chocolate and alcohol. Try oatmeal in the morning. No chips or any other fried foods and no big meals, eat early.

ETA: As someone else mentioned elevate your bed. If you can put a couple of bricks or wooden blocks or even thick books under the front legs of your bed, just make sure they are wide enough and sturdy so you don't collapse in the middle of the night. You can also buy a mattress elevator that goes between the box spring and mattress. The wedges that you can also buy are uncomfortable.

Last edited by NorthofHere; 01-05-2021 at 11:36 AM..

Old 01-05-2021, 01:58 PM

415 posts, read 371,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Get a Covid test stat.
I don't have covid, I have tested

Old 01-06-2021, 06:23 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Well, you probably NEED an endoscopy.....sometimes, your trachea can spasm, or even, narrow.......they can fix this.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:40 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
I had a very similar sensation just as my boss said, "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Fortunately for me the sensation was short lived. I wish you the best.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:54 PM

422 posts, read 281,947 times
It definitely is Acid Reflux LPR. I have the same issues as you. You need to get another opinion from another ENT. My ENT diagnosed me as having Reflux LPR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness