Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 10:16 AM

144 posts, read 186,965 times

Advertisements

I don't have it, but close friends of ours were just diagnosed after coming back from a funeral in New YOrk.
We are in South Carolina.

So, I am in that "waiting" game. But I don't know what to do if Covid does happen. Here is what the timeline is. Please no nasty remarks....just looking for guidance.

Tuesday - January 4 - Hubby and I go out to dinner with friends who just returned from a funeral in New York.

Sunday - January 10 we golf with this couple (please know that we are all mid 60s and one 70 year old)

Tuesday - January 12, They are tested. She is negative, he is positive. She has symptons, he doesn't.

So, hubby and I are self quaranteening. But if we DO have it....what do we do? So very hard to find information. We live in South Carolina. I don't think our doctors will take us (or that's what I've been told).
So...if anyone knows what to do, please advise. I know we will go for tests if once we feel sick....but what to do afterwards....

I'm already getting all of my "paperwork" in order for my kids.....(which I always do before we go on long vacations....if we can even remember what those are, LOL).

Anyway, your insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 10:22 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,003,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderwomanNot View Post
I don't have it, but close friends of ours were just diagnosed after coming back from a funeral in New YOrk.

So, I am in that "waiting" game. But I don't know what to do if Covid does happen. Here is what the timeline is. Please no nasty remarks....just looking for guidance.

Tuesday - January 4 - Hubby and I go out to dinner with friends who just returned from a funeral in New York.

Sunday - January 10 we golf with this couple (please know that we are all mid 60s and one 70 year old)

Tuesday - January 12, They are tested. She is negative, he is positive. She has symptons, he doesn't.

So, hubby and I are self quaranteening. But if we DO have it....what do we do? So very hard to find information. We live in South Carolina. I don't think our doctors will take us (or that's what I've been told).
So...if anyone knows what to do, please advise. I know we will go for tests if once we feel sick....but what to do afterwards....

I'm already getting all of my "paperwork" in order for my kids.....(which I always do before we go on long vacations....if we can even remember what those are, LOL).

You probably haven't been told this by your doctor's office, though, have you? Call your doctor's office. They'll tell you what to do.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:35 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,238,771 times
Quote:

When I tested positive on 12/30, I called my Dad (90) and sister in GA because I was visiting both of them on 12/19. I called our neighborhood pub when I eat lunch once a week with the same people. Lastly, I discussed with my wife the steps we need to take to prevent the further spread at home and beyond (we are a house of six).

I spoke to my doctor who immediately placed me on the I-Mask+ Early Outpatient Protocol and my remaining family on the I-Mask+ Prophylaxis.

Then I isolated myself to the very best that I could for eight days until the health department told me I was cleared.

During that time, I only ate fruit and vegetables, drank up to 128oz of water each day, and rested. No alcohol. I did occasionally leave the room for brief moments only when masked and with freshly washed hands. I also took walks on the warm days unmasked to expose myself to fresh air and sunshine. Of course, avoiding any contact with others.

I returned to telework on 1/11 and mostly feel recovered. I am still a little tired with a mild cough but feel great otherwise.

My wife is the only other person mentioned above that experienced mild symptoms. She tested negative for COVID, but lost her smell a taste a few days later so she is obviously positive - or at least was.

I am 49 with treated HBP and the lovely wife is 47 with treated epilepsy, FYI.

While it wasn't a pleasant experience, my nearly annual sinus infections are generally far, far worse.

I wish you guys a speed recovery!

Edit: I incorrectly read your post as your hubby tested positive. I hope you guys don't have it, but it's nothing to panic about.

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 01-13-2021 at 10:54 AM..

Old 01-13-2021, 10:42 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,878,692 times
Ok - please relax, particularly regarding the "paper work." Even for "old" people - the rate of serious illness (or worse) is quite low. Less than most / many things you've had in your life. So don't panic, is step 1.

Officially - From the CDC page about such things - you should quarantine for 14 days since your last close contact with them. Sounds like that is Jan 10th (so the 4th is not relevant in any way). It can be reduced to 10 in some cases, and to 7 with a negative test.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...uarantine.html

That's the advantage of getting tested POSITIVE right now - your quarantine is only 10 days...from 1/10. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but it serves as a motivation to get tested, which is readily available many places, like Wal-Greens or Rite-Aid.

If neither of you have symptoms - and it's been three days now - I'd wager neither of you have it. Just playing the odds - it's not scientific - but the chances of three out of 4 you - at your age - having no symptoms - is less than the chances of you simply not having it. Meantime - if symptoms begin, fever, lost of taste, or others - you should get tested to confirm, so that you know you're immune from here on out (almost certainly). If your symptoms are manageable, there is no reason to see the dr. If you have trouble breathing, or other serious problems, then you will be seeing the doctor immediately, regardless of any COVID possibilities.

But - again - please - don't panic. (Not saying you are - I'm just saying - there's no reason to.)

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2021, 10:59 AM

144 posts, read 186,965 times
OK, thanks for all of the advice. Just got off the phone with our doctor's office here. They really don't do anything for it. Unless you can't breath, etc., you need to ride it out. If trouble breathing, then a trip to the ER is what they suggest. I am taking Vitamin D and Zinc.....hopefully that will work.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:59 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
OK, thanks for all of the advice. Just got off the phone with our doctor's office here. They really don't do anything for it. Unless you can't breath, etc., you need to ride it out. If trouble breathing, then a trip to the ER is what they suggest. I am taking Vitamin D and Zinc.....hopefully that will work.
If it were me, I would be doing my normal Vit C, D3/K2, Zinc and I've been taking Grape Seed Extract for eons and that would not change, and I think I'd probably add Oscillo (homeopathic remedy daily) to my body...And you could add Quercetin as it helps the Zinc to get into the cells. Lots of sleep as it's so healing and try not to worry.

And there is a lot of info on taking Melatonin to fight off covid and I've been taking 1mg for yrs.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-13-2021 at 12:20 PM..

Old 01-13-2021, 12:12 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Most people can manage this own their own. I think that's what you may mean when you say doctor's won't see you. Start supplements - Vitamin D, Vitamin C, and Zinc in particular. They help boost your immune system and have shown some effectiveness in fighting COVID. In any case, they can't hurt. Star taking Vitamin C and Vitamin D supplements (get the higher dose ones) and also supplement zinc. Many doctors are suggesting Cold Eeze for Zinc. They are a lozenge that you can take throughout the day. Because one of the symptoms of COVID can be a sore or itchy throat, they will help with that if it should occur (tow birds, one stone).

Otherwise, just make sure to quarantine. If you do start showing symptoms, get tested, stay hydrated, keep taking the supplements, and treat the symptoms.

Hope you don't end up getting it. But if you do, I hope it is a mild case.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:14 PM

6,346 posts, read 2,900,201 times
Quote:
Take Pepsid too. Some studies showed it helps. Several randomized controlled trials are being performed to test the clinical benefits of melatonin. Inflammation is a big problem with covid so I would think anti-inflammatories would help. I take turmeric and fish oil. Covid kept me in bed for 36 hours and after that I was good to go.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:03 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,104,002 times
NIH said they will "consider" updating the official protocol to include Ivermectin early Feb., I would try to get a prescription, text or call one of these doctors.

East Virginia Medical School last updated their protocol on 11-30, it also includes Ivermectin.

Prophylaxis
â–  Vitamin C 500 mg BID (twice daily) and Quercetin 250 mg daily
â–  Vitamin D3 1000-4000 u/day
â–  B complex vitamins
â–  Zinc 30-50 mg/day
â–  Melatonin (slow release): Begin with 0.3mg and increase as tolerated to 2 mg at night
â–  Ivermectin for postexposure prophylaxis (200 ug/kg immediately, then repeat on day
3) and prophylaxis in high-risk groups (200 ug/kg day 1, then day 3 and then every 4
weeks)
Mildly Symptomatic patients (at home):
â–  Ivermectin 150-200 ug/kg daily for two doses
â–  Vitamin C 500mg BID and Quercetin 250-500 mg BID
â–  Vitamin D3 2000 - 4000 u/day
â–  B Complex vitamins
â–  Zinc 75-100 mg/day
â–  Melatonin 6-10 mg at night (the optimal dose is unknown)
â–  ASA aspirin 81-325 mg/day (unless contraindicated)
In symptomatic patients, monitoring with home pulse oximetry is recommended.
Ambulatory desaturation below 94% should prompt hospital admission

Old 01-13-2021, 02:16 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
It's honestly like any other respiratory infection for most people. I'm sure your doctor's office instructed you to treat the symptoms ( ie, tylenol, nsaids, OTC cold/ sinus meds to relieve symptoms, stay hydrated, rest as you can.

If you have a pulse oximeter, you could monitor your PO2 ( oxygen levels), if it falls below say 94-95 ( depending on your general respiratory health), or you have trouble breathing as you mention, then you follow the instructions to go to the ER.

Taking the vitamin D and zinc sounds like a good idea.

Get well soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness