Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2021, 07:15 PM

10 posts, read 8,998 times

Advertisements

In my home country I could just go make an appointment in a week, or for tomorrow sometimes, and get a very comprehensive health screening from a hospital of my choice. No referral needed. The only thing I had to do was to pay about $1500. And I could get this:
Hearing test, eye exam
cardiovascular disease screening (electrocardiogram test)
pulmonary function test
chest X-ray
vascular screening
tumor marks (PSA test, AFP blood test, CEA test, CA 19-9 test)
bone density test
medical age tests using MEDI-Age
ultrasound imaging of the upper abdomen
gastroscopy
blood test (liver function test, Hepatitits A/B/C, Autoimmune disease, Anemia, Gout/arthritis, Thyroid gland, Electrolyte blood test, Pancreatic cancer, Circulatory system, Diabetes, Kedney function)
Complete urinalysis
ultrasound for carotid artery, thyroid, prostate
lung disease screening (low-dose CT scan)
brain disease screening (brain MRI or brain MRA)
cardiovascular disease screening (autonomic nervous function stress test)
cardiovascular disease screening (ultrasound image)
hair mineral analysis
colonoscopy
genetic testing for cancer risk

But when I just wanted to do colonoscopy, I contacted the student health center at my university, and they sent a referral to a hospital, and when I called the hospital, they made an appointment to just take a look in more than a month later (not colonoscopy, they will just talk).

I want to just forget about this slow process and go directly go comprehensive testing right now. How can I do that in Chicago?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-06-2021 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Moved thread and edited title for clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 07:31 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
do you have insurance?

Old 02-02-2021, 07:38 PM

Yes but how do I know which test is covered by the insurance?

Old 02-02-2021, 07:45 PM

This came up (https://www.lifelinescreening.com/) from my googling but I can't understand what they are saying.

I typed in my Zip code, because that's apparently how they find out the nearest testing site. But then what came up in the list is "Joseph and Sarah Levy Senior Center". This is not a hospital. How can they conduct a comprehensive blood test, x-ray, ultrasound, colonoscopy in such a place?

Old 02-05-2021, 09:29 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morecup View Post
Yes but how do I know which test is covered by the insurance?
You call your insurance.

Old 02-06-2021, 01:19 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
In my home country I could just go make an appointment in a week, or for tomorrow sometimes, and get a very comprehensive health screening from a hospital of my choice. No referral needed. The only thing I had to do was to pay about $1500. And I could get this:
Hearing test, eye exam
cardiovascular disease screening (electrocardiogram test)
pulmonary function test
chest X-ray
vascular screening
tumor marks (PSA test, AFP blood test, CEA test, CA 19-9 test)
bone density test
medical age tests using MEDI-Age
ultrasound imaging of the upper abdomen
gastroscopy
blood test (liver function test, Hepatitits A/B/C, Autoimmune disease, Anemia, Gout/arthritis, Thyroid gland, Electrolyte blood test, Pancreatic cancer, Circulatory system, Diabetes, Kedney function)
Complete urinalysis
ultrasound for carotid artery, thyroid, prostate
lung disease screening (low-dose CT scan)
brain disease screening (brain MRI or brain MRA)
cardiovascular disease screening (autonomic nervous function stress test)
cardiovascular disease screening (ultrasound image)
hair mineral analysis
colonoscopy
genetic testing for cancer risk

But when I just wanted to do colonoscopy, I contacted the student health center at my university, and they sent a referral to a hospital, and when I called the hospital, they made an appointment to just take a look in more than a month later (not colonoscopy, they will just talk).

I want to just forget about this slow process and go directly go comprehensive testing right now. How can I do that in Chicago?
Welcome to the USA's healthcare system. You may also need to consider that there's a pandemic going on right now. The medical establishment is stretched to its limit. You can't expect to walk in somewhere on short notice and get all these tests done. You're going to have to wait. Call your insurance provider. They can probably direct you to providers who can arrange those procedures. Depending on your insurance coverage you may need referrals for some, you may not. Establishing yourself with a primary care provider (GP or PCP) can get those tests done. The PCP can take care of many of them directly, but if not, they can generate the necessary referrals to someone (like a participating hospital) who can.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-06-2021 at 02:17 PM..

Old 02-06-2021, 04:42 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
Quote:
This came up (https://www.lifelinescreening.com/) from my googling but I can't understand what they are saying.

I typed in my Zip code, because that's apparently how they find out the nearest testing site. But then what came up in the list is "Joseph and Sarah Levy Senior Center". This is not a hospital. How can they conduct a comprehensive blood test, x-ray, ultrasound, colonoscopy in such a place?

They don't.
I went to one of these a few years go, sponsored by local church. They just do a few non-invasive ,rather simple, tests to see if anything major stands out. Mostly blood tests and ultrasounds. I did have a foot doctor tell me I needed orthotics to stop my right shoe from wearing out so fast.

The website does have a list.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:49 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
Curious what kind of hospital could possibly do all those tests in a short time. Around here you would either be in the hospital for at least a month, or coming back every 3 days or so for a month or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
View detailed profiles of: