Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 04:47 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
A new lab study shows troubling signs that Pfizer's and Moderna's COVID-19 shots could be far less effective against the variant first found in South Africa

https://news.yahoo.com/pfizer-modern...174512012.html
  • Pfizer's and Moderna's shots were at least 10 times less effective against variant in a new study.
  • Researchers tested the vaccines on a variant first found in South Africa, which is now in 20 states.
  • A mutation on the variant called E484K appeared to be a "major contributor," the study authors said.
  • Visit the Business section of Insider for more stories.

The percentage of protective antibodies that neutralized the variant - called B.1.351, which has been recorded in 20 US states - was 12.4 times lower for Moderna's COVID-19 shot than against the original coronavirus, and 10.3 times lower for Pfizer's, the study authors said.

Unless something new came out, the vaccines are still 100% effective against hospitalization and death, so that's the good news side.

On the bad news side, variants are popping up in the US that have the same variation that the SA variant has. At least cases have dropped dramatically.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 05:52 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Unless something new came out, the vaccines are still 100% effective against hospitalization and death, so that's the good news side.

On the bad news side, variants are popping up in the US that have the same variation that the SA variant has. At least cases have dropped dramatically.

Maybe I am reading it wrong but it appears that is not the case. If we do not have the antibodies from the vaccine to protect us from the new strain then it would hit people full force.

The percentage of protective antibodies that neutralized the variant - called B.1.351, which has been recorded in 20 US states - was 12.4 fold lower for Moderna's COVID-19 shot than against the original coronavirus, and 10.3 fold lower for Pfizer's,

Old 03-09-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Maybe I am reading it wrong but it appears that is not the case. If we do not have the antibodies from the vaccine to protect us from the new strain then it would hit people full force.

The percentage of protective antibodies that neutralized the variant - called B.1.351, which has been recorded in 20 US states - was 12.4 fold lower for Moderna's COVID-19 shot than against the original coronavirus, and 10.3 fold lower for Pfizer's,

I'll wait for further info to come out. I'm not saying I am right, just that had been my understanding. Plus, info changes all the time.

It's frustrating, the more cases, the more variants, the more chances one WILL not be affected by the current vaccine.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:11 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
I'll wait for further info to come out. I'm not saying I am right, just that had been my understanding. Plus, info changes all the time.

It's frustrating, the more cases, the more variants, the more chances one WILL not be affected by the current vaccine.
Yeah, but I still think most vaccinated people will not suffer serious disease. There is a core structure to SARS-CoV-2; the vaccine will have taught your immune system to recognize that. The response won't be as robust to variants as you indicate, but I still think vaccines will confer pretty good protection (even like an average flu vaccine).

But because of the mutations, I do personally plan on getting annual booster shots for the next few years. I will likely get one with my flu shot this fall if an updated version is available.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:18 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:

At first they were saying the current vaccine should work against the variants. Now because of more research they are saying something different.

No one promised this would all go smoothly. The goal needs to be getting as many vaccinated as possible. The reason we have all these variants is there are so many cases world wide. The more times it spreads from person to person the more the likelihood of it mutating. And then changing to the point the vaccine is not effective.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:36 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Quote:

Antibodies are not the only measure of immunity.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:40 PM

34 posts, read 36,932 times
Who cares? Covid has not killed one iota more of the population as in any other year for the last 50 years.

My god people, do you go to the CDC website or just accept the lying media as truthful? As a gay man I am still more afraid of HIV than of Covid.

CDC website: 78 percent of people that died were OVER 70 AND OBESE.

CDC website: every year since 1970 between .75 and 1 percent of the population in the US dies. This past year it was..... between .75 and 1%. Same as always.

Quit being sheeple.

I assume you know how to use google but if you are incapable I will go look up the links for you.....

Old 03-10-2021, 01:35 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
At first they were saying the current vaccine should work against the variants. Now because of more research they are saying something different.

No one promised this would all go smoothly. The goal needs to be getting as many vaccinated as possible. The reason we have all these variants is there are so many cases world wide. The more times it spreads from person to person the more the likelihood of it mutating. And then changing to the point the vaccine is not effective.
New mutation are most likely more contagious but less deadly. How do you explain the fact there are so many people immune to covid (they didn't even have symptoms)? Many people are somehow immune to it without antibodies.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Old Tavernkeeper View Post
Who cares? Covid has not killed one iota more of the population as in any other year for the last 50 years.

My god people, do you go to the CDC website or just accept the lying media as truthful? As a gay man I am still more afraid of HIV than of Covid.

CDC website: every year since 1970 between .75 and 1 percent of the population in the US dies. This past year it was..... between .75 and 1%. Same as always.

Quit being sheeple.

I assume you know how to use google but if you are incapable I will go look up the links for you.....
I'm not sure what you think you read, but scroll down the link and you can see excess deaths for the US.

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

And here is the CDC showing their numbers for excess deaths, which shows 12 to 30% over average.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

Old 03-10-2021, 02:38 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Old Tavernkeeper View Post

Quit being sheeple.

We have not seen a virus/disease in our lifetime that is as transmissible as COVID. You cannot get HIV by simply walking into a packed store/bar/restaurant or even having dinner with friends/family. You can catch COVID that way. That is is the big difference.

Even with the death rate improving (although still significantly higher than the flu), the morbidity and potential long-term effects of COVID are much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness