Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 11:51 AM

91 posts, read 674,619 times

Advertisements

My father is having trouble getting his records from his doctor's office. They're a small independent clinic that doesn't use any of that online stuff. He needs a copy of his recent lab results as well as an estimate for another service that his insurance won't cover.

He emailed their office last Friday afternoon and told them there was no rush. They sent a response email shortly after saying that they put in a request with a nurse to get those things sent to him. It's currently Wednesday afternoon and he still hasn't been sent anything. At this point, I think they forgot. He told them there was no rush because it was Friday afternoon and he didn't want them to feel like it needed to be sent before they closed. He expected to get it by Tuesday morning, but nope, nothing.

Is it too early to send a reminder email? What should he say as he doesn't want to sound rude? I'm actually writing the email for him. I was going to say something along the lines of "this is just a friendly reminder that I'd appreciate it if you would please send me a copy of my recent lab results and the estimate I asked for last Friday. Thank you." But then I read an article that says the use of the term "friendly reminder" may be considered passive aggressive and people no longer like that phrase. The article indicated people should be more direct in what they want. So now I don't know what to write as I don't want to come across as rude.

We (my father and I) use email to contact the doctor that way there is always a paper trail. Then they can't come back and say they we didn't say or ask for such and such a thing. You can't argue with hard proof. We've had problems with this clinic before. They're all very polite and seem like they genuinely care, but many of the employees are total airheads. The stories I could tell ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 12:29 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post
He emailed their office last Friday afternoon and told them there was no rush. They sent a response email shortly after saying that they put in a request with a nurse to get those things sent to him. It's currently Wednesday afternoon and he still hasn't been sent anything. At this point, I think they forgot. He told them there was no rush because it was Friday afternoon and he didn't want them to feel like it needed to be sent before they closed. He expected to get it by Tuesday morning, but nope, nothing.
From Friday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon is three business days, which isn't unreasonable in busy doctor's office. If he wanted the information by Tuesday morning, that's what he should have said. If he wants to send a reminder, that's fine, but he should ask for the files by a deadline.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:23 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
From Friday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon is three business days, which isn't unreasonable in busy doctor's office. If he wanted the information by Tuesday morning, that's what he should have said. If he wants to send a reminder, that's fine, but he should ask for the files by a deadline.
This. Practice offices are like any other busy business. Things they must do get prioritized. As soon as they hear "no rush" they won't. Also agree about the term "friendly reminder"...don't use it, especially if they were initially told not to rush. Resend the original email...but revise it. Tell them when you need the information.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:28 PM

17,597 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
My father is having trouble getting his records from his doctor's office. They're a small independent clinic that doesn't use any of that online stuff. He needs a copy of his recent lab results as well as an estimate for another service that his insurance won't cover.

Is it too early to send a reminder email? What should he say as he doesn't want to sound rude? I'm actually writing the email for him. I was going to say something along the lines of "this is just a friendly reminder that I'd appreciate it if you would please send me a copy of my recent lab results and the estimate I asked for last Friday. Thank you." But then I read an article that says the use of the term "friendly reminder" may be considered passive aggressive and people no longer like that phrase. The article indicated people should be more direct in what they want. So now I don't know what to write as I don't want to come across as rude.

We (my father and I) use email to contact the doctor that way there is always a paper trail. Then they can't come back and say they we didn't say or ask for such and such a thing. You can't argue with hard proof. We've had problems with this clinic before. They're all very polite and seem like they genuinely care, but many of the employees are total airheads. The stories I could tell ...

Medical files (at least a copy) belong to the patient

Don't email, call the office at TELL them what you need!

If they don't have computer files (which I find very hard to believe in today's insurance environment) they do have the right to charge you a reasonable copying fee for the files

Old 04-28-2021, 04:54 PM

6,468 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
In addition, if these are coming by mail, who knows what snags it could hit... sometimes mail is fast for me, sometimes it gets lost or takes a week going across town.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:20 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Medical files (at least a copy) belong to the patient

Don't email, call the office at TELL them what you need!

If they don't have computer files (which I find very hard to believe in today's insurance environment) they do have the right to charge you a reasonable copying fee for the files
No, medical files don't belong to the patient -- they belong to the medical practice. The patient does have the right to get a copy of the files, for which there is usually a copying charge.

And TELLing the office what you need by phone isn't good enough -- the request needs to be in writing.

I agree with Parnassia above. Re-send the email, revised to include a date by which you need the copies.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:34 PM

696 posts, read 704,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
No, medical files don't belong to the patient -- they belong to the medical practice. The patient does have the right to get a copy of the files, for which there is usually a copying charge.

And TELLing the office what you need by phone isn't good enough -- the request needs to be in writing.

I agree with Parnassia above. Re-send the email, revised to include a date by which you need the copies.
I would add that you should ask them to confirm that they received your email, as well as let you know when the records have been sent so that you can be on the lookout for them.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:40 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
I believe HIPAA rules require them to provide the information within 30 days.

Less than a week is kind of a rush.

My ex-provider ignored my written request and follow-ups for two months, until I filed a HIPAA complaint.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:41 PM

91 posts, read 674,619 times
Thanks for the responses.

They received the initial email and responded back shortly after that they put in the request with the nurse. I like to use email when contacting businesses because then there's a "paper trail." They can't come back and say that we never said or asked for such and such a thing. I dare them to argue with hard proof. "You never quoted me that price? Well it says right here in the email that you did."

The information is being sent via email, not snail mail. They have the lab results in their computer, it takes less than 2 minutes to email it to us. I don't know how long it takes to put together an estimate, 10 minutes at the most.

I know they're busy and short staffed so we (my father and I) were trying to be nice. We didn't want them to feel like they had to send the info that afternoon. But based on previous experiences, we figured the info would be sent by Tuesday afternoon. It's Thursday afternoon now and still no response.

In retrospect, it was foolish of us not to give a deadline. I should've said there's no rush, but please send me the info by Tuesday afternoon.

I really need to stop being nice, it tends to backfire on me. Of course, trying to be an a-hole doesn't work either because that's not my nature. I'm screwed either way. I should've just told my father to call, he's naturally a jerk and a darn good one too.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:53 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses.
I really need to stop being nice, it tends to backfire on me. Of course, trying to be an a-hole doesn't work either because that's not my nature. I'm screwed either way. I should've just told my father to call, he's naturally a jerk and a darn good one too.
The problem here wasn't that you were too nice. The problem here was that you were too vague. You just need to be more specific and frankly, honest. If you really have a deadline by which you need something done, say so! Stack the deck in your favor by giving more complete instructions. No reason to be rude, and as your jerky dad could probably tell you (if he chooses to admit it), rudeness can backfire as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness