Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 12:06 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,461 times

Advertisements

This is for gardening; I should have said that before. I am wondering now if a product such as Deet would still work around the eyes even though you're not applying it right there. In other words, if the scent is strong enough that putting it elsewhere on your face would be good enough to keep the bugs away from your whole head entirely. That would probably be the best solution. Hopefully it would be okay around sensitive/dry eyes, too, which I have. High maintenance, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 06:10 AM

224 posts, read 297,596 times
Get some cinnamon oil. Using olive oil as a base and put quite a few drops in it. Apply it anywhere on your body. Don't put undiluted cinnamon oil directly on your skin. I like it strong enough to tingle. Don't make it too weak.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:42 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
This is for gardening; I should have said that before. I am wondering now if a product such as Deet would still work around the eyes even though you're not applying it right there. In other words, if the scent is strong enough that putting it elsewhere on your face would be good enough to keep the bugs away from your whole head entirely. That would probably be the best solution. Hopefully it would be okay around sensitive/dry eyes, too, which I have. High maintenance, I know.
I have never had any issues with mosquitos at my eyes when I use Deet on my face.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:44 AM

2,032 posts, read 1,655,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I use Deet. Nothing else ever works for me.

^^^This. Deet is far and away the best mosquito repellent. It's been around for almost 80 years and if it truly had adverse health affects they would be well known by now (it doesn't).

Buy the type in a lotion so you can apply it to your face without getting it in your eyes or mouth. They come in differing percentages of Deet. I'd start with something around 20-25% Deet and see if that is effective.

Two other things to do to keep mosquitoes out of your eyes is to wear a hat with a brim and spray it down with a repellent with Deet. Having something near your face with Deet on it helps. The other is to get and wear wrap around glasses. Like the safety glasses they sell at the hardware store. Those do a great job of keeping kamikaze bugs of all kinds from flying into your eyes.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:13 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
I make my own bug repellent - black mosquitoes all over, they don't touch ya.
I'm very proud of this concoction...cuz it always works for everyone...even in Key West!
My oil of choice is coconut oil...but use what ever you would like...shea butter, unscented cream...
Add
-Basil
-geranium
-lemongrass
Yum.
Don't forget your ankles when hiking for ticks...anything exposed.
Spiders when sleeping?
I would never use a chemical on my skin, sorry.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:23 AM

2,136 posts, read 1,205,275 times
I heavily spray a baseball cap. Not the inner band that touches me. Heavy under the brim. Helps a lot, does not get in your eyes or on your skin.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:31 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I make my own bug repellent - black mosquitoes all over, they don't touch ya.
I'm very proud of this concoction...cuz it always works for everyone...even in Key West!

I would never use a chemical on my skin, sorry.
Your concoction is a chemical!

Even the tap water you wash your face with is a chemical.

According to various dictionaries:

"Chemical": Noun. Any compound or substance that has been purified or prepared, especially artificially.

Old 05-04-2021, 04:17 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
Get some cinnamon oil. Using olive oil as a base and put quite a few drops in it. Apply it anywhere on your body. Don't put undiluted cinnamon oil directly on your skin. I like it strong enough to tingle. Don't make it too weak.
This.

And if you combine it with aloe gel you get a facial treatment at the same time.

Just look at all the choices you can try -

https://www.enjoynaturalhealth.com/h...to-repellents/

Old 05-04-2021, 04:40 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Avon Skin so soft works well.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Avon Skin so soft works well.
I have heard this before!!!

PS - Sorry, I did not say questionable or harmful chemicals.
My laughter is spitting put chemicals right now! You are correct, Parnassia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness