Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 11:49 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Avon Skin so soft works well.

The efficacy depends on which one (there are multiple "skin so soft" products), and which species of mosquito, and it ranges from not bad to no effect at all.

https://academic.oup.com/jinsectscie.../1/140/2583458

Victoria's Secret Bombshell Perfume also has some repellent effects, but might attract other species of pest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 05:30 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
^^^This. Deet is far and away the best mosquito repellent. It's been around for almost 80 years and if it truly had adverse health affects they would be well known by now (it doesn't).

Buy the type in a lotion so you can apply it to your face without getting it in your eyes or mouth. They come in differing percentages of Deet. I'd start with something around 20-25% Deet and see if that is effective.

The one I use for yrs now, ~Cutter Skinsations~ is just 7% Deet and does the trick even inside the Everglades National Park where this time of the Year the Skeeters Rule the Park.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:30 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I make my own bug repellent - black mosquitoes all over, they don't touch ya.
I'm very proud of this concoction...cuz it always works for everyone...even in Key West!
My oil of choice is coconut oil...but use what ever you would like...shea butter, unscented cream...
Add
-Basil
-geranium
-lemongrass
Yum.
Don't forget your ankles when hiking for ticks...anything exposed.
Spiders when sleeping?
I would never use a chemical on my skin, sorry.
I have had good luck with Repel. When I went to Alaska and was in a lot of mosquitos, even the tour guides preferred to use that to DEET. I do use DEET, but only when I am in situations where there are a lot of ticks. I haven’t found that repel does too badly with mosquitos. I do tend to cover up when I am in a tick area and wear a hat.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:06 AM

164 posts, read 127,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
I use a head net and love it.
Hi,

I also use headnet and it works wonders for me.

Thanks.

Old 05-08-2021, 04:19 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
The EPA licensed a new insect repellent last year. It's a chemical found in cedars and grapefruits. It not only repels insects, it kills them.

The way that the regulatory process works is that each individual product needs it's own EPA license. Companies are going through the process now and the new repellent (which actually smells good to humans) should be on store shelves soon. Although deadly to insects it's safe for humans- it's even been used as a soda flavoring.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...eat-180975552/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness