Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2021, 03:26 PM

104 posts, read 95,798 times

Advertisements

I recently got a new prescription and had glasses made at my optemetrist. It's a relatively mild reading prescription (RT: +1.00 SPH, LT: +.25 SPH)
They also measured my optical center which is 28 (they were taller aviator style lenses)

It had a prism which I ended up not needing, so I need new frames/lenses and I want to get cheap ones online just to see how they work before buying expensive ones again.

First question: Is the optical center they measured specific to the frames I had when I got measured or is optical center something specific to my eyes? Meaning would my optical center always be 28 or is it different for every different sized lens?

Second question: How important is it getting my custom optical center in my lenses? Will it adversely effect my vision? (should I completely avoid glasses without my custom OD?) Or would the glasses still help, just be slightly better if the OD was exact?

The answer I have mostly gotten from online glasses stores is "The standard Optical Center we produce is approximately 1mm higher from the middle line of the lens for a single vision lens design"

Which averages about 22mm on lenses I have looked at.

I'm a little confused about it because glasses for me slide up and down my face all the time either way, so having a "center" would only be helpful if my glasses always sat perfectly on the middle of my face (unless I'm misunderstanding)

Thanks so much!

Last edited by ncus; 05-06-2021 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 09:47 AM

326 posts, read 200,927 times
You don’t have enough prescription for it to really matter except that you are looking at a frame with a huge vertical measurement.
Also , because they’re reading glasses your gaze is downward it is a moot point.
More of an issue is the quality of the lens and that you get the non-glare coating.
Because you basically have a really good vision you are going to be bothered by any aberrations of a poor quality lens.
As a lifetime optician, I can always tell even at a distance internet
People with lower prescriptions can often get away with it however if the overall quality of your vision is good you may be bothered by the distortions.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2vegas View Post
You don’t have enough prescription for it to really matter except that you are looking at a frame with a huge vertical measurement.
Also , because they’re reading glasses your gaze is downward it is a moot point.
More of an issue is the quality of the lens and that you get the non-glare coating.
Because you basically have a really good vision you are going to be bothered by any aberrations of a poor quality lens.
As a lifetime optician, I can always tell even at a distance internet
People with lower prescriptions can often get away with it however if the overall quality of your vision is good you may be bothered by the distortions.
Thanks so much! The glasses I will be getting measure 48-19-145. Would those be too large of a vertical measurement?

So for my current prescription I shouldn't worry about custom Optical Centers for online glasses? I do understand that getting them directly from my eye doctor is best, but I have had terrible experiences with glasses getting messed up and they are usually $300 or more. The first pair of online glasses I got I could see much better, didn't get headaches, and they fit properly.

I just wanted to make sure that not having a custom optical center wasn't going to harm my vision or anything.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:49 AM

48 is a fairly small size even though that doesn’t tell me the vertical but most likely vertical is not excessive
I do wanna re-emphasize the importance of getting the non-glare coating

Old 05-07-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
48 is a fairly small size even though that doesn’t tell me the vertical but most likely vertical is not excessive
I do wanna re-emphasize the importance of getting the non-glare coating
Thanks. They are aviator so the vertical height is similar to the lens width (I believe the heigh is 44mm)

Old 05-10-2021, 08:11 AM

@chicago2vegas just a quick followup question. So for internet glasses, they don't do custom Optical Center because to get a custom optical center the frames/lenses would have to be actually measured on my face right? For a 44mm lens height is that high and should I be concerned about not having a custom Optical Center with that? I will definitely try to get the non glare coating. Thanks so much!

Old 05-10-2021, 08:32 AM

Since the left lens has almost no power the optical center does not matter at all on that one
I doubt an online order will give you an option to specify the optical center
You are correct the only way to get an accurate measurement is in person with that exact frame.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Since the left lens has almost no power the optical center does not matter at all on that one
I doubt an online order will give you an option to specify the optical center
You are correct the only way to get an accurate measurement is in person with that exact frame.
Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness