Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 07:19 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,239,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting. Just in the past week, here in Texas, three people who friends worked with died from COVID. None were vaccinated. All were under 50. Between them they had about 12 kids.
Husband of niece has been in hospital, now ICU, for 12 days and is intubated. He's 40 something with kids and isn't expected to make it. Unvaccinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 08:14 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I would hope that anyone with "just" a cold or regular flu is not out mingling with the rest of us. If any of y'all have symptoms of anything please don't willingly go about your business exposing others just because it ain't Covid. I may be alone in my opinion but I'd rather not have a cold if I can avoid it. Just living my life in fear and loving every minute.
I don't think you're alone in that opinion, but personally, I try to find a reasonable middle ground. My life is not coming to a screeching halt because I have a headache that day or am congested. Those things happen. And I'm vaccinated and still masking outside the house.

But if my kid throws up like she did yesterday, then no, she's not going to school or seeing anybody. If I have a fever, then yes, I'm staying home.....because that's out of the ordinary.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 09-11-2021 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-11-2021, 08:20 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I would hope that anyone with "just" a cold or regular flu is not out mingling with the rest of us. If any of y'all have symptoms of anything please don't willingly go about your business exposing others just because it ain't Covid. I may be alone in my opinion but I'd rather not have a cold if I can avoid it. Just living my life in fear and loving every minute.
LOL, not living my life in fear but I agree with you! It's crazy that people even think of exposing people when they're sick with anything.

One of the C-D posters said she thought she had allergies, then a cold, then a few days in she found out it was covid. How many people did she infect while she thought it was allergies? She was vaccinated and had a false sense of security that she wouldn't get it again.

Anyway, if you're sick, stay away from everyone, no matter what it is. And test regularly.

This really is close to home for me, a vaccinated couple we're friends with infected 12 of our other friends, sending 3 to the hospital. All because they had the sniffles and didn't stay home. Thank God everyone made it through okay.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:07 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,239,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
LOL, not living my life in fear but I agree with you! It's crazy that people even think of exposing people when they're sick with anything.

One of the C-D posters said she thought she had allergies, then a cold, then a few days in she found out it was covid. How many people did she infect while she thought it was allergies? She was vaccinated and had a false sense of security that she wouldn't get it again.

Anyway, if you're sick, stay away from everyone, no matter what it is. And test regularly.

This really is close to home for me, a vaccinated couple we're friends with infected 12 of our other friends, sending 3 to the hospital. All because they had the sniffles and didn't stay home. Thank God everyone made it through okay.
I'm reminded of what every sick person with cold or flu symptoms I've ever encountered in a social setting has said; "I'm not contagious."

It must be genetically programmed into humans to think that they can't possibly infect others no matter the symptoms they may be experiencing.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:31 AM

453 posts, read 285,723 times
Quote:
Shall we assume that they weren't wearing masks? Because, you know, they were vaccinated?

Old 09-11-2021, 10:43 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
Nor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I checked the website and all the available appointment slots are in the middle of the day. That’s OK, the plans weren’t super special and my husband is now on board with the testing plan.

Wow. I can’t believe you had to wait two hours. That sucks! And waiting 72 hours for test results is not great either. One reason I want to get tested is because I have two important medical appointments coming up (ones I do not want to postpone) — one on Monday morning and one on Tuesday morning — and I am concerned that if I have symptoms without a negative Covid test, they may not allow me in the office. On CVS’s website they promise a 1 to 2 day turnaround time, which will be close for the Monday appointment. Hopefully, I won’t have to wait 72-hours. I wanted a rapid Covid test, but absolutely zero appointments available for those this weekend in my entire area.
You are doing the right thing. I have felt ill off and on for several days, and finally decided to get a test. My results came back negative, and it was such a relief. As long as I did not know for sure that I did not have covid, I was reluctant to leave the house. I did not think I had covid. I did not feel that bad, nor were symptoms worsening. But I did not know this.

Like you, I have things pending that I need to do.

Let us know your results..

Old 09-11-2021, 11:50 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
So the vaccine doesn’t work?
On what do you base your inquiry? The vaccine is performing within its specifications.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:55 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,237,622 times
Quote:

I wish people who are sick would stay away from other people. It doesn't matter what is causing the illness, JUST STAY AWAY!

When I was working, I couldn't believe the people who would come to work, sniffling, coughing and sneezing. They were so proud they carried on regardless of their health.

No one wants your common cold, your flu, your respiratory congestion, or your covid. JUST STAY HOME!

Old 09-11-2021, 12:14 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,283,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I wish people who are sick would stay away from other people. It doesn't matter what is causing the illness, JUST STAY AWAY!

When I was working, I couldn't believe the people who would come to work, sniffling, coughing and sneezing. They were so proud they carried on regardless of their health.

No one wants your common cold, your flu, your respiratory congestion, or your covid. JUST STAY HOME!
I had a pittispora tree in front of my house, and it would bloom twice a year. And when it bloomed, I would get an allergic reaction. Nose running, a headache, itchy eyes. Absolutely an allergic reaction. It would last about a day, day and a half, and then my body would remember and deal.

I didn’t subject the rest of the world to snotty nose blowing ick. I had to cut down a few years ago because we got some sort of a weird fungus.

But I am with you — if you don’t feel good, stay home. There is absolutely nothing in this world that is more important than your health AND NOT MAKING EVERYONE ELSE SICK. Work won’t die without you for one day. And if they act that way, you need a new job. Where they aren’t taking advantage of you. I say that as somebody who ran their own company for 21 years.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:42 PM

14,965 posts, read 12,181,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

Exactly. I'd hope that with all this covid covid covid all the time we'd have learned one thing; that staying home and away as much as possible from others when we're sick with anything, be it a simple cold, the flu, a stomach bug would go a very long way in mitigating the spread of whatever creeping crud we're afflicted with to others around us. Frequent handwashing is not a bad idea either.

I have always cringed when I watched all the ads for OTC cold symptom relief products, touting how well these relieve the coughing, sneezing, sniffles and other miseries of colds, flu, etc., for "people on the go who can't stop", and such claims. The idea of such products is to make the symptoms better, so one can continue to be out in close proximity of his/ her fellow man at work, leisure activities, and so on. Problem is, the person may feel somewhat better, but still has the virus and is still contagious, still spreading that crud to those he/she comes in contact with. They'd be better off staying home and resting as they need to to get over their bug.

I had what I believe was a common head cold about a month after my J&J jab, with a sore throat, headache and stuffed up sinuses. There was no fever, and the congestion never got into my bronchi or chest. I treated it just like I had every cold I ever had, stayed home and it didn't occur to me to worry if it was covid or not, I figured it was not. It lasted a week ( as colds do) and cleared up, and I didn't spread it to anyone, not even the family members living with me. And no sequelae from it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness