Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 07:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,385,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
On the other hand, everyone I know, knows someone has died and that includes 3 different states on 2 coasts.
My sister and uncle both died from Covid last November before there was a vaccine, and recently my wife knew a couple people who died in Mexico.

Stats say that mostly it is the unvaccinated that die and the above would coincide with that conclusion (ie everyone that died in the paragraph above were unvaccinated).

I have not personally known anyone who went to the hospital or died since they got vaccinated. The % is small according to stats .
Well, I just found out that a friend of mine died Thursday from COVID. I don't think she was vaccinated, but it's still very sad for her family. She was only about 60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 02:52 AM

23,936 posts, read 33,800,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Honestly, staying home when sick is just not practical for many, even most people. I just did a quick Google search and … did you know that the common cold virus stays in your body up to 3 weeks? While people are most contagious in the first 2 to 4 days, it is certainly possible to be contagious much longer than that. I know that I often cough for days, even weeks after the onset of a cold. No way that I or other people with a common cold are just going to stay home for 2 to 3 weeks until all their symptoms clear and they are not at all contagious any more. Even missing work for a couple of days is difficult for some people …

Masking up? Yes. Staying home? No.

BTW, my results were negative. No Covid, just the common cold. I do plan on keeping my medical appear tomorrow, but will wear a mask of course.

Thanks for coming back. At least you know you do not have COVID since everyone gets it differently. A few that I know had common cold symptoms, their employer made them test. My adult son's GF and best friend had no symptoms, they were going on vacation when they tested positive.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:50 AM

My friend who just died of COVID posted on social media a few weeks ago that she thought she had a sinus infection. Then she talked about how terrible she felt with this sinus infection. Then no more posts and then her daughter posted that she and her husband were both hospitalized with COVID. The husband recovered. The wife died. I am still in shock.

At first I was going to go to the funeral or at least the visitation but then I thought about the crowds of people and I am sorry but I'm going to send flowers instead.

Sad times.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:16 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,501,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The vaccine is very effective in minimizing COVID. I don't know about you, but I haven't been sick with anything in years. I don't WANT to get sick with anything. So if I can be asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms, that's fine with me. The vaccine delivers what it promises to me.

Is there a single vaccine out there that's 100 percent effective? Thanks but I'll take 88 percent effective all day long and twice on Sundays if I have to.

Since so many people love comparing the flu to COVID 19, I feel OK comparing the flu vaccine to the COVID 19 vaccine. For some comparison, the flu vaccine is about 40 percent effective and requires yearly boosters. And it's 40 percent effective WITH the boosters.

Several vaccines in fact require more than one shot and at least the flu vaccine requires yearly boosters.

https://www.abc27.com/news/health/co...-vaccinations/

Also, keep in mind that this is a new virus so there are still unknowns about it.

You do you. Me? I'm fully vaccinated, will get the booster when I can, and I take supplements to keep my immune system healthy (been taking those since before the pandemic - and they seem very effective). I am more attune to and more observant of social distancing and hand washing as well, and I wear a mask if I can't socially distance effectively, or where one is required. For instance, I went to two banks Friday. One required masks and one didn't. I was able to socially distance in the one that didn't require masks so I didn't wear one in that particular bank.
You wrote the above 24 hours ago.

Quote:
My friend who just died of COVID posted on social media a few weeks ago that she thought she had a sinus infection. Then she talked about how terrible she felt with this sinus infection. Then no more posts and then her daughter posted that she and her husband were both hospitalized with COVID. The husband recovered. The wife died. I am still in shock.

At first I was going to go to the funeral or at least the visitation but then I thought about the crowds of people and I am sorry but I'm going to send flowers instead.

Sad times.
You don't seem so confident of your level of protection now.

PS I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, but truly it doesn't seem you had that strong a friendship with her.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:14 AM

9,975 posts, read 7,875,819 times
Quote:

Sad times.
So sorry about your friend. I hadn't heard that the symptoms could present like a sinus infection, thanks for sharing.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:34 PM

8,830 posts, read 5,157,685 times
There have been a few people in my community that have had a neg test result, only to be retested positive. To the OP, I would be retested.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:00 PM

9,205 posts, read 6,378,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
Pretty sure s/he's referring to the fact that the "vaccine" doesn't stop you from getting covid, it doesn't stop you from spreading covid, and it doesn't stop you from dying of covid. That sounds like a pretty crappy vaccine to me.
It greatly reduces the probability that a vaccinated person will die from covid as opposed to a non-vaccinated person.

It was never presented as a total stoppage of the transmission or the illness - but it reduces the intensity and severity of the illness if contracted.

Exactly what it was supposed to do. Too bad you see crap. Watch where you step!

Old 09-13-2021, 06:22 PM

6,165 posts, read 3,878,444 times
Sorry. Please disregard my post.

Last edited by Chas863; 09-13-2021 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Didn't work

Old 09-14-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
You wrote the above 24 hours ago.

You don't seem so confident of your level of protection now.

PS I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, but truly it doesn't seem you had that strong a friendship with her.
I didn't have that strong of a friendship with her - she was more of a casual acquaintance but we worked sort of together several years ago. However, I got together again with her not that long ago with a group of people we knew and it was good to see her again. I've kept up with her over the years and enjoyed hearing about her family (we have grown kids the same age).

I will miss her being alive and well in this world. I was closer to her when I worked with her and we lived closer but of course, after I quit working and moved an hour from her, we drifted apart. Still - it's sad to think of her dead. And I also know her best friend who is devastated by her death. Very sad.

I don't want to get sick with ANYTHING (as I believe I've stated repeatedly on various threads). The vaccine isn't 100 percent effective though it is nearly 100 percent effective in keeping people out of the hospital and keeping them from dying. However, COVID can and does break through sometimes and I don't want even a mild case - of that, or a cold, or an ear infection, or tummy upset, or anything. So far so good but there's no point in tempting fate.

I'm looking forward to getting the booster shot as well now that I've been fully vaccinated since March 2021.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So sorry about your friend. I hadn't heard that the symptoms could present like a sinus infection, thanks for sharing.
Thank you. I think her symptoms started that way from what I can tell but I'm pretty sure she ended up with pneumonia and that's what got her.

I don't know - I don't want ANY symptoms of ANYTHING. And right now, mold and dust are high around here and I am reactive to both of those so ugh. But overall I feel fine and I just hope it stays that way.

My aunt and uncle, both in their 70s, got COVID after being fully vaccinated. They both have pre existing conditions too. Thankfully with both of them, their illness was mild and they've both recovered, but still...they both had symptoms for several days and I don't want even mild symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness