Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 10:42 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,361 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I will soak something like that in warm water and epson salts and a little bit of povodone iodine. Then redress the wound.

If the gauze is sticking to the wound, should you try using a non-stick pad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 12:38 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times
Organic raw honey could be helpful- it is a moisturizer and an antibacterial. It may help to loosen the gauze? Just leave it overnight and put a thin cotton glove on that hand to prevent the mess?

I would try to remove everything from the wound and let it heal as is - it is just a surface scrape, not a deep wound

I would not use anything which can not “breeze”: like a Vaseline on the wound or a waterproof bandage- dangerous if anaerobic bacteria sets in.

Hope you had your tetanus shot within the last 10 years.

Sorry for your boo-boo

Old 09-14-2021, 04:34 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Pretty sure I've read that peroxide isn't the thing to use (maybe to rinse out debris?) - but it's not actually a choice - use soap and water. Neosporin and Bactricine come in gel form so a bandage should stick.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:18 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Now you tell me!

Tonight I couldn't peel off that nickel size piece of previous gauze that stuck. It is still saturated with Neosporin so I didn't pour peroxide-water solution over since the area was clean having been covered with a large bandaid with additional tape around the edges. So the area is moist. Just covered it with another clean large bandaid and tape.

The area below on my wrist is slightly reddish purple and swollen I'm assuming from a bruise. I never iced the area after falling. I don't think I broke my wrist because it isn't very sore and I can move it.

So if it doesn't get worse (I'll go to Urgent Care) I will do what you suggested above.

Didn't know that about Neosporin.

Thanks for your help.
When I was nine I was playing on the monkey bars, flew off and rammed into a tree. My wrist was broken — the small bone up to my elbow. Had total movement of the hand with no pain. My father panicked and took me to the ER, I ended up with a cast from the bottom of my fingers to above my elbow.

My mother no longer believed in if you can move it it’s not broken. I spent the summer whacking my sister in the head with a cast in my sleep.

If we’re taking votes, my vote is go to the urgent care, or ER. And they’ll be able to get that gauze pad off before whatever happens and dress it properly.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:18 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,570,932 times
Follow up to my original post.

I just kept cutting slivers of gauze away after every shower, then covering with vaseline and a fresh bandaid. Also took extra Vit. C which fights infection. So now I'm fine except the skin at the moment looks like I had a burn. Lesson learned!

I did get proactive for the future and bought burn bandages, hydrocolloidal bandages and a big variety pack of all kinds of bandaids for my First Aid drawer.

Great advice from everyone that I'm sure future readers will find helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness