Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:27 AM

175 posts, read 846,477 times

Advertisements

I have lots of trouble with constipation. I take metamucil and eat bran flakes and a half glass of prune juice each day. Yet it does not help that much. I seem to go through periods of time with it. I am now having one of those times, for the last three weeks.

Any ideas? Maybe I am not taking enough. I have thought about buyng some sheat bran and sprinkling it on my foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 08:32 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times
Organic cold-milled Flaxseed should help. You can sprinkle it on yogurt or cereal and it actually tastes pretty good. Also, drink plenty of water.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:39 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
I have lots of trouble with constipation. I take metamucil and eat bran flakes and a half glass of prune juice each day. Yet it does not help that much. I seem to go through periods of time with it. I am now having one of those times, for the last three weeks.

Any ideas? Maybe I am not taking enough. I have thought about buyng some sheat bran and sprinkling it on my foods.
This is a common problem but could also spell underlying issues. If it were to continue, I would discuss with the doctor just to be sure. If you have a family history of colon cancer, I'd be sure to be checked out regularly.

My thing is that if you eat a lot of bran and fiber, you sometimes have the opposite effect it's supposed to, the same thing happens to me. Foods iron rich are going to make you constipated too. Check your iron levels in foods and when you can't go, then hey, that might be a factor.

You might want to try this little trick. Upon waking, really get moving, walk around, run up and down your stairs a couple of times, really get your BODY awake. Once done, drink a glass of water with 1/2 lemon squeezed in NO ice, just room temperature. For some reason, this really stimulates you and you go to the bathroom pretty soon after.
I'm also a big fan of drinking a lot of water. Remember, water cleans the pipes, you should drink enough for your body type everyday and stay away from high iron foods, tons of bran etc.. this may help.
It works for me - can't speak for everyone else though. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:44 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
p.s., I also stay away from dairy. I drink only Soy milk and don't each much cheese, etc.. I like organic yogurt or regular yogurt but if I drank a glass of regular cows milk I'd be suffering.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:48 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I have discovered that vitamin C helps keep me going. I am on a medicine that has made me constipated, then I remembered the C that gave me dirreah when I took it so I got that out and tried it, worked like a charm!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:20 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
You might want to try one of those cleansing formulas from the infomercials or health food store. It's good to get a good cleaning every few years.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,774 times
Years ago, sat in on a session listening to a herbologist and she mentioned drinking a glass of water first thing every morning, as soon as you get up.

Before coffee, juice, or food.

And it works like a hotdamn!

I've mentioned it to others who have complained of irregularity, and it worked for them also...

All these years later .. I still drink a glass down .. first thing. It really works!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 PM

790 posts, read 4,018,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post

I have remedies for you. (Forget the metamucil)
Try a different way.
This is one of the best products out there.
Planetary Herbals :: Tri-Cleanse™ Complete Internal Cleanser
Drink 1 teaspoon in a glass of water and then "chase" it with another glass of water. It's essential that you drink enough water with the Tri-cleanse.
And with this take 1 -2 capsules of Cascara Sagrada.
Buy Nature's Way Cascara Sagrada Aged Bark 425 mg, VCaps Online at drugstore.com

I've provided two web sites but if you're in an area with a good health food store, you should be able to find both of these products there or if not, they'll most likely be able to order the products for you.

During the day, make sure you drink plenty of water. This means at least 8 glasses a day. If you're not used to drinking that much water, get used to it .

A good quality and whole leaf Aloe Vera juice is an excellent lubricant for your intestines and has all sorts of other health benefits and it's particularly helpful in the hot weather of summer as it's cooling and anti inflammatory.

Limit (ideally eliminate) junk food and meat and eat plenty of fruit. A helpful thing to do is, in the morning, before you eat anything else, have some fruit that you like.
Wait about a half hour before you eat other foods for optimal digestion.

Eat well. Veggies, whole grains, fruit, good protein (other than red meat - if that's possible for you).

Belly massages help. Getting plenty of exercise helps ... a brisk walk for 20 minutes a day for example.

That's for starts. I can almost guarantee that the Tri-Cleanse formula with the Cascara Sagrada will move your bowels but you want to address the issue of diet and exercise for long term health.
And often constipation is related to emotional issues. But that's anther story.
Good luck. I know the agony of constipation. It's no fun and if your body is not eliminating and eliminating well on a daily basis, it's time to make some changes.

p.s. - for those who do go the herbal route for constipation, never, ever take Senna. It causes gripping and in the long run is detrimental for intestinal health. I notice that drug stores have Senna products. Avoid them. Cascara Sagrada is the herbal way to go. It's gentle and effective and harmless.

Last edited by rubyskye; 05-16-2008 at 01:08 PM..

Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 PM

790 posts, read 4,018,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
I have remedies for you. (Forget the metamucil)
Try a different way.
This is one of the best products out there.
Planetary Herbals :: Tri-Cleanse™ Complete Internal Cleanser
Drink 1 teaspoon in a glass of water and then "chase" it with another glass of water. It's essential that you drink enough water with the Tri-cleanse.
And with this take 1 -2 capsules of Cascara Sagrada.
Buy Nature's Way Cascara Sagrada Aged Bark 425 mg, VCaps Online at drugstore.com

I've provided two web sites but if you're in an area with a good health food store, you should be able to find both of these products there or if not, they'll most likely be able to order the products for you.

During the day, make sure you drink plenty of water. This means at least 8 glasses a day. If you're not used to drinking that much water, get used to it .

A good quality and whole leaf Aloe Vera juice is an excellent lubricant for your intestines and has all sorts of other health benefits and it's particularly helpful in the hot weather of summer as it's cooling and anti inflammatory.

Limit (ideally eliminate) junk food and meat and eat plenty of fruit. A helpful thing to do is, in the morning, before you eat anything else, have some fruit that you like.
Wait about a half hour before you eat other foods for optimal digestion.

Eat well. Veggies, whole grains, fruit, good protein (other than red meat - if that's possible for you).

Belly massages help. Getting plenty of exercise helps ... a brisk walk for 20 minutes a day for example.

That's for starts. I can almost guarantee that the Tri-Cleanse formula with the Cascara Sagrada will move your bowels but you want to address the issue of diet and exercise for long term health.
And often constipation is related to emotional issues. But that's anther story.
Good luck. I know the agony of constipation. It's no fun and if your body is not eliminating and eliminating well on a daily basis, it's time to make some changes.

p.s. - for those who do go the herbal route for constipation, never, ever take Senna. It causes gripping and in the long run is detrimental for intestinal health. I notice that drug stores have Senna products. Avoid them. Cascara Sagrada is the herbal way to go. It's gentle and effective and harmless.
It's too late to edit this post but i need to add this:
If you do use the products that i recommend and your bowels do not move in due time, i would say that you may want to see someone to ensure you don't have bowel obstruction.
Both the Tri-Cleanse and the Cascara Sagrada are highly effective methods to produce bowel movements and if they don't work, i think it's safe to assume that you need to find out what's going on.
The other remedies recommended are fine but these two (especially together) are much more powerful and directly address the issue and so if they don't work .... well, i'd see an m.d.
3 weeks is a very long time to go without elimination.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:49 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,298 times
Water. 8-8 oz/day
walking...20-30 min/day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness