Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 09:31 AM

83 posts, read 296,432 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the site Jay - You sound like you're doing really well so soon after surgery so brilliant stuff =]

Bev - If you have the determination to keep going, your practically over half way there!!

I had my first physio session today, lots of questions. Got a bit of extra information about my surgery that i didnt actually know! I didnt realise i had ligament reconstruction =|
Ive been given some excersises to do at home, leg raises, pushing down of the knee and pulling forward of the foot.

She said theres not much i can do without weight baring so we will stick to these excersises untill surgeon says ok to weight baring which wont be untill september.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:48 PM

8 posts, read 38,245 times
Just to let everyone know that it has been 11 1/2 weels since my fractures and I am putting full weight on my since about 8 weeks. Still a little skiddish and tense when walking. I need to relax when walking but everything is going great! So cheer up, it will get better. They did say I was a quick healer and strong.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:10 PM

139 posts, read 588,417 times
So everyone I am 25 weeks from my injury and today my PT guy told me that I am now at 50% ROM. I do not know why but this disappointed me. Tonight I feel like I just crashed and burned and now am working on picking up the pieces. Why did this upset me so? Guess I thought the ROM was better since they said the ankle had improved 95% but the ankle improving and ROM are two different things and it just disappointed me to think only 50% ROM I have 2 more sessions of PT and just how on my own will I get the remainder and will the remainder just come to me. Remember my OS dropped the ball on me and not seeing him only PRN so I have a big task ahead of me to do this on my own and it has terrified me. Today at PT they really worked top area of leg and ankle where it is so tight with scar tissue that it hurt so so bad but PT guy was able to really work it to point that produced excurciating pain so I didnot go to fitness center tonight and came home and iced the foot ankle down and PT is having me come back Tues AM. I am thankful I healed fast thankful I had no complications but the road of ROM improving seems very long tonight. Bev

Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 AM

69 posts, read 334,445 times
Bev,

Dont be disappointed this injury takes long to come back from, I am 33 weeks out and still dont have all my ROM back and I dont think I will get it back at 100%. After my accident before the surgery the dr told me that there were no guarentees as to what normal function I would have.Somedays my limp is not as bad as others, Friday I was out and about all day and night shopping, running erands and to a ball game lots of walking I paid for it on Saturday. My leg was swollen and in such pain that I spent much of the day in bed with the leg propped up and sleeping. We all just need to take one day at a time, take the good with the bad.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:59 AM

5 posts, read 29,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&A View Post
My husband broke both his tibia and fibula saturday evening (6/20/09) and had to be rushed into surgery due to swelling. Surgery lasted 4-1/2 hours but went very smooth from what the doctor said. They placed a rod down his leg with 2 screws at the top and 2 at the bottom. He was able to put pressure on it by Monday and can walk with crutches incase he slips. His leg is still VERY swollen and i would like to know how long that is going to last. Also, they didnt fix the fibula because they said it wasnt a "necessary bone" is that common?
Hi P&A,

This is similar to what I did playing soccer on 6/5. I broke the tibia clean thru about 2 inches above the ankle, and also the fibula about mid-way up the calf. Doctor installed a rod and 5 screws in my tibia (2 top, 3 bottom), and told me that since the fibula only carries about 10% of the load, that it would heal on its own.

I was 2 weeks No Weight Bearing, and for the last 3 weeks I have been 50% weight bearing and starting to feel stronger. Strong enough that I did something foolish and accidentally stepped out of the car onto my bad leg last night, near full-weight. X-ray this morning revealed that I re-broke the fibula! Not badly, but I set myself back a few weeks probably. The tibia is healing normally though.

Just tell your husband not to push it, do as the doctor says, and I hope he is getting more comfortable. It takes some time but fortunately for me the pain really became more manageable about 4 weeks after the injury.

The swelling has become better for me also, I can start to see the veins in the top of my foot, especially in the morning, and it isn't so painful when I stand up in the morning. However the broken leg is still "bigger" than the good one, and I expect the swelling will be there for quite some time. It hurts less as time goes on, though.

I am down to taking 3 ibuprofen (600mg) in the morning, and again in the late afternoon. Still waking up at 2:30am though with pain. I find that a hot bath calms down the pain in the nighttime, he might try that if the Doctor says it is OK. My doctor said night pain is worse, nobody knows why.

Like many others on this forum I had no idea what a big deal a broken leg could be until going through it myself. Hang in there everyone!

Best,

Paul
(futpaul)

Old 07-08-2009, 06:02 AM

Does anyone have an suggestions on comfy positions for sleeping ??? I was so glad when I got my split and brace off and no longer had to sleep on back, but now after being up and around all day i am so tired and sore i cannot sleep. My hips hurt and my knee on injured leg is stiff and in such pain that i cannot find a good position to sleep. I could really use some suggestions.

thanks
margie

Old 07-08-2009, 09:18 AM

41 posts, read 117,149 times
green what i do is i lay on either side with a pillow in between my legs it helps aline your body also before bed nice hot bath in epsome salt helps relax all muscles hope this helps

Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 PM

thank you

Old 07-08-2009, 01:53 PM

189 posts, read 795,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futpaul View Post
Hi P&A,

This is similar to what I did playing soccer on 6/5. I broke the tibia clean thru about 2 inches above the ankle, and also the fibula about mid-way up the calf. Doctor installed a rod and 5 screws in my tibia (2 top, 3 bottom), and told me that since the fibula only carries about 10% of the load, that it would heal on its own.

I was 2 weeks No Weight Bearing, and for the last 3 weeks I have been 50% weight bearing and starting to feel stronger. Strong enough that I did something foolish and accidentally stepped out of the car onto my bad leg last night, near full-weight. X-ray this morning revealed that I re-broke the fibula! Not badly, but I set myself back a few weeks probably. The tibia is healing normally though.

Just tell your husband not to push it, do as the doctor says, and I hope he is getting more comfortable. It takes some time but fortunately for me the pain really became more manageable about 4 weeks after the injury.

The swelling has become better for me also, I can start to see the veins in the top of my foot, especially in the morning, and it isn't so painful when I stand up in the morning. However the broken leg is still "bigger" than the good one, and I expect the swelling will be there for quite some time. It hurts less as time goes on, though.

I am down to taking 3 ibuprofen (600mg) in the morning, and again in the late afternoon. Still waking up at 2:30am though with pain. I find that a hot bath calms down the pain in the nighttime, he might try that if the Doctor says it is OK. My doctor said night pain is worse, nobody knows why.

Like many others on this forum I had no idea what a big deal a broken leg could be until going through it myself. Hang in there everyone!

Best,

Paul
(futpaul)

Paul,

So sorry about your setback, I hope you improve quickly. As I read your post, I was a little concerned about your taking ibuprofen. I was told by my OS that ibuprofen is not good for bone growth. My OS gave me the ok to take it at about 5 months post injury, but not any sooner. I know others have posted similar info on here.

I don't want to alarm you, maybe your OS feels it is ok at this point if you are healing well, but you may want to double check.

Take care, and I hope you continue to heal well!

Nanny

Old 07-08-2009, 02:11 PM

189 posts, read 795,951 times
Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in awhile, just got back from a week in Florida visiting my in-laws. Again, walking in the sand still pretty challenging. Also flew for the first time and got through security without setting off the alarms...yeah!

I was on my feet alot and am having some new pains. My ankle and foot feels pretty good, but I am having pain in my shin where the metal plate is on my tibia. I have not had much pain in this area up to this point. I am wondering if it could be shin splints, it is painful to walk and very tender to touch. I have not had much pain in this area at all and am wondering if it is because my muscles are working more in that area now and am just getting sore because they are waking up and having to work again. I would appreciate anyone's input or suggestions on this.

It is good to hear how everyone is progressing! Bev, I know how you feel worried about doing this on your own. My PT was so helpful to me, I am missing her now as these new pains develop. It was always so re-assuring to know what I was going through was normal as I progressed. She told me to just call if I needed anything , and I may just do that if this pain continues.

Take care everyone!

Nanny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness