Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 01:25 PM

62 posts, read 259,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannyof2 View Post
No, I don't think that the meds will be a regular part of our lives, it is short term to get us through the pain and swelling until we are healed and walking normally again. When you begin FWB it brings new challenges.

My pain has decreased significantly, but I still take 1 percocet usually once in the afternoon and sometimes before I go to bed, but not always at night. For me, it just depends on how I feel, I am going to ask my Dr. if just tylenol would be ok at this point or I just might try it and see if it takes the pain away as well as the percocet.

I have just started to FWB and can only be up for about an hour before I have to rest my leg/ankle. I am trying to use my walker less and push myself a little more each day, but that can increase the pain so it is a balancing act to push forward , but not over do it. Just like Daed says, he listened to his body and stopped at 8 mi instead of pushing on to 13mi, I know he will be at the 13 mi mark before long though!!!

I was very concerned about the pain meds in the beginning and becoming addicted. I have never been a big fan of meds and had never had a reason to take such strong pain meds. I was on oxycontin in the begging and got off of that as soon as I could. My OS was not overly concerned about me becoming addicted, she said it is different when you are taking this type of meds for pain, plus I was so concerned about it and I do not have an addictive type personallity and she told me that people that are concerned and aware usually are not the type to become addicted to the meds. Plus, I have never experienced pain like this before, so why suffer if there is a safe way to get through it, that is just my opinion. So if I have to pop a percocet once or twice a day for now to get through this I am ok with that at this point.

But I do remember (or kind of remember) the hazy days right after surgery when I was very thankful for the pain meds, although I must say I did not have the pleasure of seeing the "carebears" or anyone else running through my room like Simms!
The truth is I was down to only a vicodin here or there for pain before this second surgery! I am not a fan of pain meds and I came off them quickly after the first surgery. I never took anything stronger than vicocdin on the first surgery and they have given me a double dose of oxycodone on this second and its kickin my butt! I am already backing off but the first few days were wild!!! I will be heading back to the Doc on Monday and I think I get all these stiches out. Hopefully He will let me get into the pool at the Y because my ankle is swollen and locked up again. Have a great EASTER everyone!!!!!

Mike

Last edited by simms; 04-10-2009 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: adding text

Old 04-10-2009, 11:58 PM

190 posts, read 542,842 times
Hi everyone!! Well I know it's been a while since I have visited, but lord have mercy, now that I am mobile again....well darn if I am sitting still except at night in the bed. It's been nearly 6 months since my wreck and here is where I am at. Visit to the OS 2 wks ago (?) I think....anyway....xray shows solid healing, swelling is almost completely gone and all scars healed. However....still in pain everyday...it ranges in parellel with my activities. But it just sucks being in pain all the time. Pain meds, HA like BABY ASPIRINS!! I am walking in tennis shoes, with a gel supports, and I have a very noticeable lim now. Cant go down stairs well, cant walk fast, def. cant run. BUT I CAN WALK, which of course is great. It is so nice to be outside, spring is my fave time of year. Working on my garden!!! Even have tomatoes already.
WOW, cant believe so many new members of our very special club!!

Shoutouts to Christina, Simms, marine meatball, and all the newbies!!

Hi Bernice!! Wow, sounds like you are one tough young lady!! You also sound like you are not from the USA from the way you worded some things. Am I right? I hope you are mending quickly and it's great you found this site. I cant tell you how much it helped me!!! Through some really really REALLY tough days. But, it does getter better.

hope everyone is doing better and on the mend, for all of you just joining STAY STRONG!!!!!
Monica

Old 04-11-2009, 02:13 PM

20 posts, read 50,535 times
i did not go for my surgery so scared i cried so hard i feel like a failure but i will reschedule its been four months i just want to wake up and have it all go away when i put weight on my tip toes cause my foot is stuck at 165 degree angle i can't move it but back to the tip toe thing i feel hard pressure where the plate is... is that normal and my scar were the bone came out still hurts too

Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 AM

189 posts, read 795,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms View Post
The truth is I was down to only a vicodin here or there for pain before this second surgery! I am not a fan of pain meds and I came off them quickly after the first surgery. I never took anything stronger than vicocdin on the first surgery and they have given me a double dose of oxycodone on this second and its kickin my butt! I am already backing off but the first few days were wild!!! I will be heading back to the Doc on Monday and I think I get all these stiches out. Hopefully He will let me get into the pool at the Y because my ankle is swollen and locked up again. Have a great EASTER everyone!!!!!

Mike

I am glad you are able to cut back on the pain meds, sounds like you are doing well. Goodluck with your appt on Mon. I have been going to a pool 2 times a week and it is great! I hope you get the ok to get back in the pool too, it helps so much!

Happy Easter to all!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painfulblueeyez View Post
i did not go for my surgery so scared i cried so hard i feel like a failure but i will reschedule its been four months i just want to wake up and have it all go away when i put weight on my tip toes cause my foot is stuck at 165 degree angle i can't move it but back to the tip toe thing i feel hard pressure where the plate is... is that normal and my scar were the bone came out still hurts too
Blueeyez,

Don't feel like a failure, this is a tough injury to bounce back from, especially if you are an active person. Surgery is a scary thing, I had never had surgery before my injury and I was also very scared! I don't know if the pain and stiffness you are experiencing is normal, but you should talk to your Dr. and your PT.

I know it is so hard, but try to stay positive, you are young and will recover from this, it just takes more time than we would like but every day will get easier for you. You just have to keep pushing forward and don't give up!

This site helped me so much during my low points so I hope you find encouragement here. I also don't know how I would get through this without my faith in God, I am so grateful for the many ways He has blessed me, especially during this Easter holiday.

Take care, my prayers are with you.

Nanny

Old 04-12-2009, 08:57 PM

16 posts, read 100,342 times
it's been awhile since i've written but everything is coming along well. i started working several weeks ago with little problems other than some minor pain and swelling. i had my last doctor and physio appointments last week. i passed with flying colors other than one of my screws has broken which apparently is a normal thing. it was offered to have my screws removed after a year.does anyone know whether this is a good thing?? i got to drive the route on friday night where i had my broke my fib that fateful morning of new years eve, it was bittersweet. i had to conquer the demons, i didn't want to get off my streetcar all night lest something should happen uoftlaw- i hope you had the st mike's guys working on you-dr mckee did a great job-my scar is tiny. everyone else keep fighting

Old 04-13-2009, 06:31 AM

51 posts, read 159,791 times
update..i am beginning my 6th week post op broken tibia and knee. everything is goin well. no pain to speak of. foot still gets red and swollen if not elevated for sometime..in 3 weeks going back to OS and may have my leg brace removed and begin some wb..Heres my question....I hate crutches!! Has anyone had any experience with the 4 legged cane or the crutches that attach to your arm and will those work as well as crutches? i am still in a walker now and feel comfortable with it but when i go to wb would like to try something diff..Any ideas? thanks,mike

Old 04-13-2009, 09:08 AM

27 posts, read 119,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike perry ia View Post
update..i am beginning my 6th week post op broken tibia and knee. everything is goin well. no pain to speak of. foot still gets red and swollen if not elevated for sometime..in 3 weeks going back to OS and may have my leg brace removed and begin some wb..Heres my question....I hate crutches!! Has anyone had any experience with the 4 legged cane or the crutches that attach to your arm and will those work as well as crutches? i am still in a walker now and feel comfortable with it but when i go to wb would like to try something diff..Any ideas? thanks,mike
MIke - I remember the last week or two before I was allowed to go FWB I too was pain free (for the most part). When I went FWB things changed, when I started using my ankle for the first time it really hurt. I found that I needed a walker for the first several days. A cane just did not provide enough support. Until you put your foot down and try and bear weight it is hard to know how much support you are going to require and for how long. You may be fortunate and be able to get by with a cane or, in the begining, you may need a bit more support than a cane cane offers.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike perry ia View Post

I too do not like crutches at all. On April 3 I was told I could FWB as tolerated in my air boot. I started out with the walker and at PT they taught me how to use a cane. I go back and forth depending on how I feel at the time. I am pretty comfortable walking around the house without my walker or a cane with my airboot, but toward the end of the day I need one or the other.

I was also pretty much pain free before I was given the ok to FWB, but now my ankle is pretty sore. I think I over did it yesterday. Went to sunrise service at 7:00am (it was awesome!) using only my cane. Came home and did some cooking for a family picnic. Was able to ice and rest my leg before the picnic and felt pretty good, but by the time I got home I was ready to ice my leg/ankle again and be done for the day. I did not take my walker to the picnic just the cane. I guess I need to pace myself better. I am planning to do some swimming this evening so I am going to pace myself better today.

Anyway to help answer your question, I feel pretty good with just the cane it is just a matter of pacing myself. My PT said some people go from the walker to one crutch and then the cane. It really depends on what you are comfortable with and how much support you need.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:17 PM

68 posts, read 291,285 times
Hey all,
Went to the doctor today(2 weeks early) because after a weekend of a lot of pain i was worried. I have been FWB for about 4 weeks now. I have been back to work 3 hours a day. the only out of the ordinary lately is that we took a ride on our Harley this weekened. I had to put my boots on which were a little tight. After the weekend the pain was awfull. The doctor took x-rays and is pleased at how well i am healing. So nothing is wrong . Just maybe a little too much moving around. The pain is still there but now i can get rid of my brace at home so that should help.To all of you wondering about a cane versus crutches, I have been using a cane for 3 weeks and it is pretty good. I still get a little freaked in the rain . Hang in there all!!!

Joy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness