Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 10:50 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
For that reason, estimates are usually made on the low side. I have a recent book by a medical doctor who claims, according to his estimate, the death rate is more like 300,000 per year. So it seems the estimate of 250,000 may have erred on the low side if anything.

And, keep in mind, medical practice is pretty much standardized all over the U.S., as are hospital procedures where doctors and surgeons work.
The 250,000 figure is implausible and based on extrapolation from about 36 deaths. It is garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 04:56 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The 250,000 figure is implausible and based on extrapolation from about 36 deaths. It is garbage.
I haven't read thru this thread...It's based on that seriously flawed report that doesn't differentiate between deaths "caused" by the care vs deaths that may have been prevented had the care been different.

If you don't trust Mainstream Medicine, fine...Take your chances elsewhere....Personally, if I develop acute appendicitis, I'm going to a liciensed surgeon, not a homeopath or other faith healer.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:05 AM

761 posts, read 447,989 times
Quote:
Perhaps you think that way because the medical community at large is not cooperating fully to produce better numbers. I wonder why? Maybe it's because if they did cooperate the numbers would be a lot worse. By not cooperating they can simply continue to say "the numbers are "garbage".

Remember when it was the tobacco industry denying that smoking causes cancer? Would you have believed their numbers of those who died from smoking? So why expect cooperation from the medical industry when they have nothing to gain?

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/saf...-still-unknown

In this link it seems they are only talking about hospitals. And they say the numbers of deaths has ranged between 44,000 and 400,000 over the past 20 years. And they claim even the lower numbers shocked the nation.

Why should any medical facility cooperate when it may result in more money payed-out to settle law suits?

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 04-02-2022 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-02-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you think that way because the medical community at large is not cooperating fully to produce better numbers. I wonder why? Maybe it's because if they did cooperate the numbers would be a lot worse. By not cooperating they can simply continue to say "the numbers are "garbage".

Remember when it was the tobacco industry denying that smoking causes cancer? Would you have believed their numbers of those who died from smoking? So why expect cooperation from the medical industry when they have nothing to gain?

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/saf...-still-unknown

In this link it seems they are only talking about hospitals. And they say the numbers of deaths has ranged between 44,000 and 400,000 over the past 20 years. And they claim even the lower numbers shocked the nation.

Why should any medical facility cooperate when it may result in more money payed-out to settle law suits?
The numbers are garbage because of the way they were generated. The risk of lawsuits is a big incentive to reduce preventable errors. The number you are touting did not separate preventable errors from complications that happen in the absence of mistakes.

Old 04-04-2022, 01:08 AM

A good analysis of the problems with the idea that medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US:

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/cr...ng-cause-death

Old 04-04-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
The numbers are garbage because of the way they were generated. The risk of lawsuits is a big incentive to reduce preventable errors. The number you are touting did not separate preventable errors from complications that happen in the absence of mistakes.
Medical procedures are supposed to be relatively standardized but there are instances where medical care is sloppy or neglectful for various reasons. One hospital might have a good record for safety while another 10 or 15 miles away might not.

Offhand I remember infections mentioned as a cause of death because some doctors and nurses fail to wash their hands etc.. And if someone dies from an infection, hospitals (and those who support them) will say it was not an error, it was a complication. That's pretty standard as far as hospital reporting goes, but they are responsible.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 04-04-2022 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-04-2022, 10:15 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
A good analysis of the problems with the idea that medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US:

McGill? They just partnered with Moderna. HARDLY unbiased. Good grief.

Do you have an unbiased source???

Old 04-04-2022, 10:17 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I haven't read thru this thread...It's based on that seriously flawed report that doesn't differentiate between deaths "caused" by the care vs deaths that may have been prevented had the care been different.

If you don't trust Mainstream Medicine, fine...Take your chances elsewhere....Personally, if I develop acute appendicitis, I'm going to a liciensed surgeon, not a homeopath or other faith healer.
Modern medicine is great for trauma, like broken bones, or circumstances that need immediate intervention, like appendicitis. I don't think anyone disputes that one point.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Basically, the article states that they don't know because they judged the 2016 study to be faulty. What was Mcgill's motivation in doing this research? Have they been getting yearly donations from the medical community for "medical research"?

According to statistics of medical malpractice lawsuits, about 20 billion dollars was paid out in a recent year but that's just the tip of the iceberg because most people don't file lawsuits. Many hospitals offer to settle out of court, as was the case with a neighbor of mine.

My neighbor's husband, 45 years old, a family man with two young children, a long-distance trucker who owned his own truck, went into the hospital for a minor procedure and was mistakenly given the wrong medication, and he died because of it.

The hospital had the nerve to offer his wife $10,000 and, believe it or not, she accepted it. That was a huge victory for the hospital because she didn't know any better and didn't consult a lawyer.

Do I need to say, "It's all about money?" It's nothing new. It's always about money.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:31 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,261,822 times
Quote:
Yes, I didn't want to leave any doubt.

Yes, I agree, but that's not what this thread is about.

The errors are happening under the direction of mainstream medicine, it's in their house, so to speak.

Fine, they're trying, but trying isn't enough. I was on a message board almost 20 years ago talking about the exact same situation.

Of course there are difficulties, but mainstream medicine still owns it. They don't get to cleanly distance themselves from the 251,000 lives lost.

Thanks, but that's another subject perhaps for another thread.

More about evidence-based medicine: When drugs are approved by the FDA, they approve medicines that have been tested one at a time, not multiple drugs in various combinations.

But multiple drugs are routinely prescribed to (elderly) patients and those drugs then interact with one another and can have a completely different unknown effect than they would separately. At that point mainstream medicine is no longer covered by by the umbrella of "evidence based medicine".
From what I have read and heard, it can be very hard to file a successful complaint against a licensed MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness