Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 02:16 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
All results must be viewed within a clinical context and we do not have all that information in front of us and so the doctor is in the best position to evaluate those results. The same results can have very different interpretations depending on any particular patient. With that in mind, I will make general comments that may or may not apply to you.

A prediabetic blood glucose reading and a normal A1C reflect recent changes or transient changes in glucose metabolism. The A1C reflects three months glucose average which is completely normal. Recent changes can indicate a glucose intolerance due to type 1 diabetes where there is sputtering of insulin deficiency during the honeymoon phase of diabetes. Transient changes can occur if one does not get a good night's sleep the night before testing where studies show that one can have a mild glucose intolerance the next day. The other option is that one only recently became prediabetic. One can determine that by repeating glucose fasting or doing a glucose tolerance test. The tolerance challenge test is more sensitive than fasting glucose levels as a change to glucose tolerance occurs first before elevations in fasting glucose occurs. I do not know why they did an A1c in 2020. Something is going on there that I am not aware of other maybe a portly body type.

The high albumin ratio can reflect difficulties in the blood draw through venous hemoconcentration if they had difficulties drawing your blood or can reflect dehydration. The urine had a high specific gravity so there is some dehydration there. There's no mention of your sodium which also determine hydration status. The high RBC H%H can also elevate with dehydration or difficulties in blood draw with prolonged tourniquet effects of hemoconcentration. Other causes for that can be issues with the heart and lungs. Some portly figured individuals can tend to have high hemoglobin hematocrit issues. Other rare causes can be nephroma or tumors of the kidney that can elevate blood pressure and most usually have blood in the urine.

What is of concern here is the protein in the urine. Any protein in the urine is of concern. The consistent presence of protein in the urine is indicative of long-standing hypertension. One does not want to have protein in the urine. One hopes it is only transient and so repeat testing should be considered. If asked to do so I would do so fasting again because food can generate some transient proteins in the urine. A spot urine protein/creatinine ratio is best. Your urine was concentrated which also can impact urinalysis dipstick readings. The colors are altered which makes reading less reliable. Diabetics have a more sensitive test for monitoring renal function and that is microablumin urine levels. Again I would recommend that you fast for such testing.

I am concerned by your comments that you state you drink a lot of water before the test and the morning of and yet you appeared to be dehydrated with urine-specific gravity testing. Your urine should not have been concentrated. Your sodium is normal and not high and yet your urine is concentrated. Normally when one gets thirsty it is because their blood has high sodium levels increasing osmolality of the blood and the thirst receptors in the carotid region sense the elevated osmolality and thirst is generated.

There are two hormones that regulate or have an impact on water regulation. The first is aldosterone which has a direct impact on sodium blood levels. An elevation of that hormone can elevate sodium and can also elevate blood pressure because water is retained following the sodium. The other is the anti-diuretic hormone that can cause people to retain water or to release water. A deficiency of that hormone can cause the release of water in your body and dehydration to occur and that condition is called Diabetes insipidus. In those cases however the urine is dilute and not concentrated because they are not able to form concentrated urine.

You do not have vomiting or diarrhea and so the only other source of water loss would be sweating. You need to drink more water to avoid dehydration.

As far as lipid testing goes. There's a formula they use to determine a ten-year risk assessment of you coming down with coronary artery disease and if it is greater than a 15% chance then statin medication is recommended. The formula used calculates risk as a percentage risk for the next ten years.

Your doctor will have the final say on all of this.

Yeah i reached out to him via MyChart and explained symptoms i had.

We shall come to find out this week. Im curious to see if the A1C rose over the 90 days since most symptoms are very much, new.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 05-29-2022 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 02:46 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,986,290 times
OP---Did you get your potassium levels checked?

Some of the symptoms of low potassium involve tingling in your extremities. Also, feeling depressed for no apparent reason. How is your heart beat rate? If it is rapid, that's another symptom.

It's important to have your potassium levels checked. I found out the hard way. This past fall I had bloodwork done. It took 9 hours to get the result. Thus, I got a call at midnight telling me to get to urgent care ASAP. Once there, I got infused with potassium.

Here is something else to ponder (not that you have to answer this question in this thread) but have you been through any stressful situations as of late? Going through a lot of stress can (and quite often does) affect bloodwork readings negatively.

Old 05-29-2022, 02:52 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah i reached out to him via MyChart and explained symptoms i had.

We shall come to find out this week. Im curious to see if the A1C rose over the 90 days since moat symptoms are very much, new.
If by symptoms you mean the triple P's, polydipsia, polyphagia and polyuria then one needs to have a substantial glucose level in order to do that. The thirst generated is because glucose is osmotically active just like sodium is in creating thirst. The polyuria occurs because glucose is present in the renal tubules that normally wouldn't be there and since it is osmotically active it will attract water. In order for glucose to end up in the urine, for which you do not have at present, one would need to exceed the threshold for absorption by the tubules. It normally is about 180 mg/dl or higher when one ends up with glucose in the urine and thus one ends up peeing more.

The A1C is biased in favor of more recent days because old red cells are more fragile and they carry more glucose. This is more statistically significant than clinically significant. The A1C is the average and won't reflect the dynamic range that one can see on an hourly or daily basis with single glucose measurements.

You need to be careful with carbohydrate load and probably should get rid of a few pounds that would help your blood pressure and sugar metabolism. I have been pre diabetic for about 7 or 8 years now and I can see significant changes in A1C when I lost about 8 pounds. Your labs look like those seen in metabolic syndrome similar to mine. I also have hypertension and take medication for that along with high cholesterol.

As you get older you will continue to fight that battle but it will get worse and not better as you lose muscle mass which carry a lot of insulin receptors.

Old 05-29-2022, 03:06 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,502,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
How does daikon help you poop??
If you boil the daikon,you can drink the water as well,but eating raw is fine too.
DW says it does.
Fiber in the Daikon or else the body doesn't like daikon?
I don't think there is much difference.
Maybe I should eat it raw or kimchee daikon?

OP: The Triglycerides: How High, is high?

Old 05-29-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
OP---Did you get your potassium levels checked?

Some of the symptoms of low potassium involve tingling in your extremities. Also, feeling depressed for no apparent reason. How is your heart beat rate? If it is rapid, that's another symptom.

It's important to have your potassium levels checked. I found out the hard way. This past fall I had bloodwork done. It took 9 hours to get the result. Thus, I got a call at midnight telling me to get to urgent care ASAP. Once there, I got infused with potassium.

Here is something else to ponder (not that you have to answer this question in this thread) but have you been through any stressful situations as of late? Going through a lot of stress can (and quite often does) affect bloodwork readings negatively.
I did. Potassium was in range. (4.0mmo/l)

And these past few months have not been stressful at all. Just up until now

Old 05-29-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
DW says it does.
Fiber in the Daikon or else the body doesn't like daikon?
I don't think there is much difference.
Maybe I should eat it raw or kimchee daikon?

OP: The Triglycerides: How High, is high?
Overall was 177
HDL was 64
LDL was 104 (flagged, high)
Tryglicerides were 41

Old 05-29-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
If by symptoms you mean the triple P's, polydipsia, polyphagia and polyuria then one needs to have a substantial glucose level in order to do that. The thirst generated is because glucose is osmotically active just like sodium is in creating thirst. The polyuria occurs because glucose is present in the renal tubules that normally wouldn't be there and since it is osmotically active it will attract water. In order for glucose to end up in the urine, for which you do not have at present, one would need to exceed the threshold for absorption by the tubules. It normally is about 180 mg/dl or higher when one ends up with glucose in the urine and thus one ends up peeing more.

The A1C is biased in favor of more recent days because old red cells are more fragile and they carry more glucose. This is more statistically significant than clinically significant. The A1C is the average and won't reflect the dynamic range that one can see on an hourly or daily basis with single glucose measurements.

You need to be careful with carbohydrate load and probably should get rid of a few pounds that would help your blood pressure and sugar metabolism. I have been pre diabetic for about 7 or 8 years now and I can see significant changes in A1C when I lost about 8 pounds. Your labs look like those seen in metabolic syndrome similar to mine. I also have hypertension and take medication for that along with high cholesterol.

As you get older you will continue to fight that battle but it will get worse and not better as you lose muscle mass which carry a lot of insulin receptors.
Most of my weight at 184 (with clothes on) is from muscle. I work out/lift quite a lot. When I stop I drop down to 175

Old 05-29-2022, 05:50 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
OP is young,25 years old,he can easily shed some weight and replace carbos with veggies.
The Swiss regimen is equal portion of protein,veggie and carbo,if you want desert,then you skip carbo

Old 05-29-2022, 06:32 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,615 times
There's a discrepancy there when somebody is lifting weights and gaining muscle mass which adds insulin receptors and yet they are becoming more insulin resistant and not less. A careful history of supplement use is in order. You might be. taking something and not know it.

"WEDNESDAY, Sept. 14, 2016 (HealthDay News) -- Weightlifters' abuse of anabolic steroids -- synthetic drugs that closely mimic male sex hormones, such as testosterone -- may also lead to insulin resistance, a new study suggests.

Although the study could not prove cause-and-effect, the researchers found that past and present steroid users had less insulin sensitivity than men who never abused the muscle-building drugs.

The researchers also found the men who were actively using the steroids had a lower total percentage of body fat. But these men had more deep belly fat surrounding their organs than other men. This is called visceral adipose tissue (VAT), and this type of fat has long been linked to heightened risk for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes, according to previous research.

The researchers concluded that a history of anabolic steroid abuse increases the risk for reduced insulin sensitivity, even years later.

The study findings were to be presented on Tuesday at the annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) in Munich, Germany. Findings presented at meetings are generally viewed as preliminary until published in a peer-reviewed journal."

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/m...iclekey=198200

They can't prove the association so it might be something that regular weight lifters might also get. Anabolic hormones redistribute the fat in a persons body. Not just anabolic hormones but catabolic hormones also like hypercortisolism.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:16 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
while you are waiting for test results,get some lettuce instead of bread and yogurt,wrap some Boarhead roast beef with lettuce leaves ,no mustard,no dressing.
I do that for lunch, I add a slice of cheese. cucumber slices, and sometimes avocado slices or guacamole that I make from scratch, instead of mayo. It's delicious. Avocado oil is good for your cholesterol counts.Avocado has a little carb, but not much as a spread. I do this with turkey slices, too (fresh turkey, from grocery store deli counter, not the kind with preservatives or whatever).

OP, at least you know your A1C is normal. What did the doc say about the most recent batch of results, and your symptoms overall?

In any case, exercise and a low-carb diet will work wonders. Your next blood glucose level test, if you cut out sweets and lower carbs, should be back to normal, and your A1C will remain normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness