Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2022, 01:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe, but it MOSTLY has to do with the fact that you have someone to drive you, so it's never come up and is not an issue for you.

I think it "behooves" someone to not get on a soapbox telling others how to solve a problem that they themselves have not ever faced much less solved. There are all sorts of different situations and scenarios and it's flawed to project that solutions available to some are available to everyone.

I think a mature rational adult understands that businesses often impose rules on customers that are for the benefit of the business not the customer, even though they might try to justify it as in the best interests of the customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 01:21 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Maybe, but it MOSTLY has to do with the fact that you have someone to drive you, so it's never come up and is not an issue for you.
My personal situation has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

The points have been made to address the OP stating he/she has no one available to provide transportation to and from a surgery center in the event he/she needs cataract surgery. Numerous posters, myself included, have provided any number of suggestions to find people who might provide that transportation. We know they are out there, because we have seen them.

And whether or not I have someone who will be there with me does not preclude my realization that others may not, and doesn't disqualify me from making suggestions that I know have worked to help others get where they needed to be.

And should I ever be in a situation where I AM alone ( likely considering our ages) and needing transportation to a medical facility or somewhere else, I won't be sitting back bemoaning my aloneness as an obstacle to getting there. I'll be out there combing the streets, if need be, to find that transportation. It's a choice, like everything else.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:43 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
My personal situation has nothing to do with the topic of the thread... And should I ever be in a situation where I AM alone ( likely considering our ages) and needing transportation to a medical facility or somewhere else, I won't...
How many times have we all said "I would never" about a situation we've never been in?

You don't know what you would do until you are.

Old 06-27-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
How many times have we all said "I would never" about a situation we've never been in?

You don't know what you would do until you are.

Well, as I see it, that is what planning is for....

I'm done here, this is off topic. As I said, it's not about me. Or you.....

Old 06-27-2022, 02:22 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'm done here, this is off topic. As I said, it's not about me. Or you.....
Well, it kind of IS about me since I'm also someone who, like the OP, has no one to drive me to medical procedures. Let's just say it's more about me than it is you...

Old 06-27-2022, 03:52 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
I had cataracts for several years and was not too badly bothered by them. Eventually, I decided to have them out as my eyes were bothering me more in my 70's. I had been wearing glasses since 3rd grade (eye injury). I only need reading glasses now and my eyesight is better than ever. I could have driven home from the surgery center, really, but they required it because of the drugs they give you, though minor. I drove the next day. I had to go back into the doctor the next day, I think. Its been a few years and I am almost 80 now.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:16 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
I drove my friend for her cataract surgery. I helped her go in, they took my name and number, and I left. They called me a couple hours later to pick her up. She did not need anyone to stay with her.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I drove my friend for her cataract surgery. I helped her go in, they took my name and number, and I left. They called me a couple hours later to pick her up. She did not need anyone to stay with her.

That's the way it generally works, I think. I've done the same for some friends, a neighbor or two, and friends of my mother.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:27 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
As I understand it, if you leave AMA (against medical advice), Medicare can refuse to pay your bill. If that's the case, they truly have us by the short and curlies! I, too, have no one to drive me; therefore, I simply elect not to do anything elective and pray I never have to do anything unelective.
Your understanding is incorrect.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:31 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
....Way back when I started we provided complimentary door to door service and it was much appreciated and did so for many years... basic medical transport in a van type with wheelchair lift.
I found a great service like that, but it's for our U.K. members, not the rest of us, unless one of us finds something similar:

"SpaMedica has invested in patient transport vehicles to assist patients who are scheduled for cataract surgery.

The free door-to-door service is available to patients who might otherwise be unable to undergo cataract surgery.

A fleet of 40 minibuses is transporting around 1000 patients each month to their appointments. Mark Prince, who oversees the operation at SpaMedica, shared that the service has grown 150% over the past year.

Drivers have previous experience in a range of roles, including support, fire and police services.

Being able to relate to the patients is fundamental because the job goes beyond driving – it’s a compassionate service that puts the patients at ease. Given the past year of COVID, it’s possible that the driver will be among the first people these patients have been in close contact with for a long time, so it’s hugely important that they feel reassured and safe,” Prince said."

https://www.aop.org.uk/ot/profession...aract-patients
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness