Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 09:30 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'm wondering if all your flare ups right now could be from some systemic issue, the swelling, high white blood counts, long term cough, etc.

Yes, true. Something's going on because I've never had such a variety of stuff happen to me all at once. In fact, been healthy pretty much my entire life.

This latest stuff all started in very early July:

Brief fever & sore throat:
http:////www.city-data.com/forum/hea...lue-24-hr.html

Then, day or two after, the fever & sore throat were gone since July 3rd, but diagnosed w/ HFM virus (but never around/in mouth) when went to urgent care on July 4th:
http:////www.city-data.com/forum/hea...red-spots.html

Then, starting last wk of July was the cough w/ no other symptoms (fever, sore throat been gone since July 3rd):
http:////www.city-data.com/forum/hea...-out-blue.html

Now showing high white blood cell count on blood test done Sept 21st:
http:////www.city-data.com/forum/hea...igh-white.html

Now, why my ankle from a 2007 injury started to act up too at this time, I have no idea. Then, for about the last 2.5 yrs, I've been battling an autoinflammatory skin condition called hidradenitis suppurativa (aka HS).

I've already started on my way to losing weight & will start drinking homemade veggie juices TODAY...got all the ingredients, which usually helps w/ the HS...unless the cause is hormonal because I read HS is either diet-related OR hormonal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 01:39 PM

Roselvr, I made an appt that's PENDING w/ Dr. Ebonie Vincent for Mon., Oct. 3rd, but it seems to show another dr's name in the office. I'll call tomorrow morning (Mon., 9/26) to make sure I see Dr. Vincent!

Thanks so much for this reminder! It's not that I didn't know her from TV, I just never thought about trying to see her, but might as well try to see one of the best, right?

In the meantime, I'm going to go get an ankle/foot brace/wrap as soon as I can today.

(You know that dermatologist, Dr. Lee from the show, "Dr. Pimple Popper"? She's very closeby to me & I should be trying to see her for my HS skin condition if I have any complications.)

Old 09-26-2022, 06:10 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Roselvr, I made an appt that's PENDING w/ Dr. Ebonie Vincent for Mon., Oct. 3rd, but it seems to show another dr's name in the office. I'll call tomorrow morning (Mon., 9/26) to make sure I see Dr. Vincent!

Thanks so much for this reminder! It's not that I didn't know her from TV, I just never thought about trying to see her, but might as well try to see one of the best, right?

In the meantime, I'm going to go get an ankle/foot brace/wrap as soon as I can today.

(You know that dermatologist, Dr. Lee from the show, "Dr. Pimple Popper"? She's very closeby to me & I should be trying to see her for my HS skin condition if I have any complications.)

That's great they can get you in that quick! Even if you don't see her, you're better off going to her office to see a college then cold calling foot doctors. I'm way too far from Dr Brad and Sarah, even before he went to NYC. I need a foot doctor to remove some thick toe nails from dropping stuff on them, no fungus. Let us know how you make out.

I wish Dr Lee was local to me. That's so cool that you have two great doctors to choose from for two different things!

Off topic, I think Dr Brad has the hots for Dr Sarah. She is always in his OR like he's incompetent yet I've only seen him with her once on a recent episode lol

Old 09-26-2022, 06:16 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
Forever Blue - It looks like the others have given you great advice. I am glad you are seeing a physician on the 3rd.

I would emphasize again, to think about having a second look by an orthopedic surgeon to do an MRI or closer look so at least you have some insite into your tendon and ankle issues and what the possible root cause is. Then you can make an informed decision based on better knowledge of your situation.

Losing weight - being active and being able to walk without pain and swelling will facilitate weight loss. And these activities are good for your heart and health in general. The body was made to move.

I also take a lot of supplements like you, but supplements are nutritional support to bridge the gap for any deficiencies. Certain supplements do provide your body support for tendons, muscles, cartilage, etc for optimal function. However, they will not heal an injury or issue regarding your achilles tendon and the foot and ankle swelling going along with it. Inflammation always points to a problem.

I wish you the very best. The others here have provided you with a wealth of scenarios and information to guide you.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:37 AM

Thanks so much again for your helpful comments! I hate to say this, but the way my ankle is, I don't know what they can do w/o doing surgery again. Unless they can give some kind of shot or something to reduce swelling & allow the ankle to be flexible again. I just hope my tendon didn't come apart again somehow, which I don't know how that would even happen since I nev had trouble w/ it in 15 yrs plus as I said, never did anything this time to reinjure it, not even excessive walking, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That's great they can get you in that quick! Even if you don't see her, you're better off going to her office to see a college then cold calling foot doctors. I'm way too far from Dr Brad and Sarah, even before he went to NYC. I need a foot doctor to remove some thick toe nails from dropping stuff on them, no fungus. Let us know how you make out.

I wish Dr Lee was local to me. That's so cool that you have two great doctors to choose from for two different things!

Off topic, I think Dr Brad has the hots for Dr Sarah. She is always in his OR like he's incompetent yet I've only seen him with her once on a recent episode lol

Thanks! I actually could have gotten in the day after tomorrow on Wed., 9/28, but that's a little too soon. I need to prepare a little more first. However, I need to call anyway 1st thing this morning to try to get Dr. Vincent herself AND possibly go to her other ofc location, so I could still be going day after tomorrow.

I've only watched the show about a handful of times. I didn't know Dr. Sarah was in NY too or maybe I forgot. I never saw her & Dr. Brad in the same ofc together.

Dr. Lee seems really nice on TV & I may just have to see her someday too. I just hope all these drs are just as nice when the cameras aren't on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Forever Blue - It looks like the others have given you great advice. I am glad you are seeing a physician on the 3rd.

I would emphasize again, to think about having a second look by an orthopedic surgeon to do an MRI or closer look so at least you have some insite into your tendon and ankle issues and what the possible root cause is. Then you can make an informed decision based on better knowledge of your situation.

Losing weight - being active and being able to walk without pain and swelling will facilitate weight loss. And these activities are good for your heart and health in general. The body was made to move.

I also take a lot of supplements like you, but supplements are nutritional support to bridge the gap for any deficiencies. Certain supplements do provide your body support for tendons, muscles, cartilage, etc for optimal function. However, they will not heal an injury or issue regarding your achilles tendon and the foot and ankle swelling going along with it. Inflammation always points to a problem.

I wish you the very best. The others here have provided you with a wealth of scenarios and information to guide you.

Thank you! Yes, a lot was said over the weekend. So far, I still will take that ultrasound that my GP ordered, but I may be seeing Dr. Vincent quicker than when I get the ultrasound order document the way my dr's office moves. I'm sure I'll have to call them today or tomorrow to see how much longer it will be.

Right, I agree that the body's meant to move & re: losing weight, I've been needing to for a long time now, but I'm more serious now. I started 2 days ago. I've just been eating less so far, nothing specific yet although the Paleo, AIP, & Pagan diets seem good to me. But I need to read more about them all to really decide OR I can do a combo of the 3, I really don't care about diet type. As long as I keep inflammation as low as possible & keep in mind about a couple of other health issues I have. I'm also in the process of my dr getting me a nutritionist.

I finally bought a lot of produce, esp veggies & made a smoothie yesterday & it was actually good. The ingredients that time were:

- broccolini
- spinach
- dandelion greens
- apple
- honey
- water

I do know that I fasted once last week for 24 hrs (but drank only water) & I was glad to see good results from just that already, so I strongly believe that it wouldn't hurt to fast for 24 hrs for 1 day a week while being on a diet.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thank you! Yes, a lot was said over the weekend. So far, I still will take that ultrasound that my GP ordered, but I may be seeing Dr. Vincent quicker than when I get the ultrasound order document the way my dr's office moves. I'm sure I'll have to call them today or tomorrow to see how much longer it will be.

Right, I agree that the body's meant to move & re: losing weight, I've been needing to for a long time now, but I'm more serious now. I started 2 days ago. I've just been eating less so far, nothing specific yet although the Paleo, AIP, & Pagan diets seem good to me. But I need to read more about them all to really decide OR I can do a combo of the 3, I really don't care about diet type. As long as I keep inflammation as low as possible & keep in mind about a couple of other health issues I have. I'm also in the process of my dr getting me a nutritionist.

I finally bought a lot of produce, esp veggies & made a smoothie yesterday & it was actually good. The ingredients that time were:

- broccolini
- spinach
- dandelion greens
- apple
- honey
- water

I do know that I fasted once last week for 24 hrs (but drank only water) & I was glad to see good results from just that already, so I strongly believe that it wouldn't hurt to fast for 24 hrs for 1 day a week while being on a diet.
That sounds like a healthy list of foods! If fasting works for you, then that is a good choice. I have a friend that fasts regularly. Paleo may be good for inflammation, but the important thing is picking something that fits for you.

Imagine being able to walk outside when the weather is nice and see all the world has to offer. What a great way to get healthy and assist in weight loss/maintenance. A closer look at your problem could help that be reality. If repair is recommended, you can do this. Make the decision that is right for you and be informed! No one likes surgery, but for me, fixing my heel and achilles issues was important and now they are completely normal.

I wish you the best and will keep tracking here to see how you are doing.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
That sounds like a healthy list of foods! If fasting works for you, then that is a good choice. I have a friend that fasts regularly. Paleo may be good for inflammation, but the important thing is picking something that fits for you.

Imagine being able to walk outside when the weather is nice and see all the world has to offer. What a great way to get healthy and assist in weight loss/maintenance. A closer look at your problem could help that be reality. If repair is recommended, you can do this. Make the decision that is right for you and be informed! No one likes surgery, but for me, fixing my heel and achilles issues was important and now they are completely normal.

I wish you the best and will keep tracking here to see how you are doing.

I appreciate it greatly! & I'll keep you posted & return here regularly. If you OR anyone can think of any other helpful suggestions about any of this, please don't hesitate to post again or even PM me on here.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:49 AM

For now, I withdrew the referral req to see the TV dr. My mom had inititally wanted me to see that her too, but that was BEFORE we knew I needed a referral 1st. Had I NOT needed one, I would hv gone ahead & kept the appt, but since I had to get a referral, my Mom didn't like that because she said drs get mad when u want a referral because they'll think the patient's trying to go above their head because they don't believe in their expertise. I see my mom's point. I just started seeing this new general dr of mine & like her...don't want to do that so she stops caring OR at least stops acting like it. Fortunately, I was able to call back my dr's ofc in time & hv them withdraw my referral req bef my dr even saw it. I'll just wait & do this ultrasound 1st that she wants me to do & do my best w/ elevating, putting cold wraps on it, etc. in the meantime.

I'll post back again whe have new news.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:02 AM

Keep us up to date Forever Blue when you have news. Hang in there!

Old 09-28-2022, 09:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Once the tendon has moved up the sheath it won’t come back down w/o help
My husband torn his Achille’s tendon when he was in his late 20s==he is 73 now
He went to emergency hospital in Austin, TX
We were visiting family and he tore it playing tennis
The ER doctor just put an ace banadage on it
Said go to an ortho in Houston when we got back home—
Bad decision probably and bad ER but we had little exposure to emergencies at that point in our lives
Back home went to Ortho our doctor recommended
He was an idiot
Kept going in and out of the room and losing files
He had my husband lie on exam table on his stomach and asked him to move/flex his foot
He had to take some time to do it but he could—
If you have completely torn your Achilles’s then you can’t flex your foot
The doctor couldn’t understand how my husband could do that—he was almost disappointed
He put a solid cast on foot/leg up to knee and had my husband point his foot/toe down while he was putting the cast on…

Said he should wear the cast for 6-8 wks then when we took it off, he would see if it healed well enough not to need surgery—
When we got home we called someone my husband worked with whose wife was nurse in the MD Anderson center—an ortho nurse—
She got my husband appt with sports/ortho surgeon who worked on pro athletes
When HE came into the room, he told my husband that he wouldn’t operate unless it was absolutely the last thing to do because the side effects from surgery was pretty bad and often required other surgeries so he only did it for professional athletes when he had to SEE the tendon sewed together

He had my husband move his foot/toes—which he could—so the dr said that ment the tendon was not completely ruptured—that as long as it was attached and was in position to help the rest of the tendon knit, he would just leave it along for about 8 wks and then remove the cast
So he did not replace the cast the first guy put on even though he wished it was little better done

So my husband was able to drive himself to work because it was his left leg—
Used crutches
And after the time his leg was really smelling rank from the dead skin that could not slough off
When they took the cast off there was ton of dead skin that came with it
His leg was weak—but he could flex it, stand on it, walk w/o dragging foot
He was supposed to go for rehab and work at strengthening the muscle but he really didn’t
He had played golf mainly before and he was able to return to that w/o much loss of power
But his left calf is still smaller than his right

Several years later he was taking a wood carving class and there were not enough protective gloves
He stuck an awl in his thumb and cut that tendon—
Had to have surgery because he didn’t go to ER right away—didn’t realize how serious the injury was because there was not much bleeding w/puncture wound
He had to have two surgeries on the thumb and really have lot of rehab
Was his left hand so didn’t impact use since he was right handed—but he has lot of scaring/adhesions with the tendon and the sheath from surgery —

So we could understand how surgery for Achilles’s tendon would be as much problem as cure from the thumb—
You just need a good orthopedic if you have a serious injury to your tendons…
Surgery or not depends on many different scenarios. For instance, it was the only option for me. Thankfully I didn't have any issues or side effects from the surgery and healed up well. I went hiking in the Alps 8 months afterward and did fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness