Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 12:58 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times

Advertisements

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h-vfPI...YgZXhlcmNpc2Vz

I like these guys for PT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 04:20 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
I actually wore out a heating pad due to lower back pain.

Heatin pads, hot baths and NSAIDs.

Old 08-18-2023, 06:42 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Me? I use a soft ball to dig into all the glut muscles...and lower back...and a pointy wooden massage tool
for all around the sacrum attachments ---it eases up everything! Gotta work out the tightness in the hamstring!
Ahh!
If it doesn't hurt when I'm working on myself, I'm doing it wrong!
Picture an LMT's elbow working the whole area...while you scream. LOL
Get that infraspinatus to let go!

Old 08-18-2023, 09:46 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,064,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
AKA sciatic nerve pain. I have found the true reason for heated car seats in the middle of summer. I never was a hot tub person until this year. I have a real fear of any surgery of the spine. I've found surgeons to be the most arrogant group of doctors, with ortho being the worst of the bunch. The most relief I have had since May is when I was put on the Medrol Dosepak, I was wired, but pain-free.

Before I go beg for a cortisone shot, what has worked for those that have dealt with this? I am fairly new to this pain - I've been using heat (a lot) and trying to keep moving. I'm not obese, but in acknowledging I can stand to lose a few pounds, I've lost about 10 - 10 more and I will be at my ideal weight.

Any ideas for me to try (or buy) - I'm close to desperate?
I can relate to this --- AC blasting and seat heater on high. You are the first person I've come across to understand this. It has gotten me through more than a few long trips. I can get sciatic flares from sitting too long like on a long drive. Taking time to stop and walk helps. Walking is very therapeutic for sciatica. A heating pad for other times might help you too.

I was never overweight so I doubt that losing weight will help for this specifically. However, what you eat and don't eat will help (see below). Dropping extra weight is typically a welcome side effect of dietary changes to address sciatica and overall health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I used to suffer from similar pain and nothing worked. (chiropractors, MDs, drugs, etc).

All my pain ended with lifestyle changes: dropped weight, cut carbs, increased activity, etc. If I was going to do it all over, I would have cut carbs first, because that automatically drops the weight and increases activity.

I remember my first back pain visit with an MD and he told me about a study where 1/3 of the patients went chiropractic, 1/3 went to a medical doctor (usually drugs), and 1/3 did nothing. The outcomes were statistically insignificant, so he told me to "do whatever feels right".

Unfortunately, he didn't recommend to cut carbs, because that would have done it.
Yes, if you mean refined carbs and not complex carbs. Refined carbs are inflammatory and inflammation is linked to sciatica.

OP, many are prescribed Gabapentin for sciatica but I never took it. It can have some potentially nasty side effects. Substitutes for Gabapentin are miconutrients B vitamins (esp. 12 and 6), zinc, omega 3 fatty acids, magnesium, selenium, vitamins E and D. You'll get these nutrients from a balanced anti-inflammatory diet (it works for inflammatory arthritis too). Take one or more of these micronutrient supplements if you can't meet dietary requirements.

B vitamins promote regeneration of injured sciatic nerves, omega 3 reduces inflammation and zinc helps to reduce nerve pain. Become more active, walking is especially good for it. Try to avoid or reduce inflammatory foods, increase anti-inflammatory foods.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:06 AM

1,489 posts, read 791,580 times
When I had this I started wearing Sketchers shoes and in about a month the pain was gone. Their high mid arch lifts your heal and this is what worked for me.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:37 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
I'm back. Took Medrol dosepak and it wiped it out, for about a week. Went on vacation, pain came back, begged doctor for more so vacation wasn't a total waste. I promised I would try PT (but I really do not want to), so, I am going to see if he will consider sending me to Ortho for the trigger injections. My knee gave me serious issues in 2005 - I did rounds of the rooster ****'s comb in my knee, helped minimally. The cortisone injection knocked it completely out. Same experience with the neck.

I did deviate (cheat) from my diet while on vaca - but I managed to lose 3 more pounds. The diet is fairly informal, just trying to limit net carbs to 30 a day, but I let myself go to 50 a couple x a week. The main gist is all (almost all) white is gone from my diet: no rice, potato, bread, flour, sugar, pasta and most dairy. Not only is fast-food off the table, I cannot bring myself to eat it now. Guilty pleasures = cheesecake and occasional ice cream. It's coming off, slow, but steady. I also agree with the comment weight may not have too much to do with this. I've been 30 pounds heavier and zero issues with my butt.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:42 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Why wouldn't you just do PT? It's healthier for you and frequently works.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-28-2023, 06:49 PM

35 posts, read 18,009 times
Heat and stretching/ROM exercises work the best for me. Lidocaine patches will help during a real rough patch as I do not tolerate pain pills.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:04 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I'm back. Took Medrol dosepak and it wiped it out, for about a week. Went on vacation, pain came back, begged doctor for more so vacation wasn't a total waste. I promised I would try PT (but I really do not want to), so, I am going to see if he will consider sending me to Ortho for the trigger injections. My knee gave me serious issues in 2005 - I did rounds of the rooster ****'s comb in my knee, helped minimally. The cortisone injection knocked it completely out. Same experience with the neck.

I did deviate (cheat) from my diet while on vaca - but I managed to lose 3 more pounds. The diet is fairly informal, just trying to limit net carbs to 30 a day, but I let myself go to 50 a couple x a week. The main gist is all (almost all) white is gone from my diet: no rice, potato, bread, flour, sugar, pasta and most dairy. Not only is fast-food off the table, I cannot bring myself to eat it now. Guilty pleasures = cheesecake and occasional ice cream. It's coming off, slow, but steady. I also agree with the comment weight may not have too much to do with this. I've been 30 pounds heavier and zero issues with my butt.

I don't think weight has anything to do with it like you said. I've weighed 115 and up to 145, had it at both weights.

I've used a chiro in the past and injections. There is a new PT place being built up in NJ called trinity rehab who has some sort of machine called an epat that uses some sort of sound waves to break up scar tissue. It's supposed to be great on back pain.

One of the morning DJ's had back pain until going to this place. The other DJ that's on at the same time (talk radio) also swears by the place. They also have some sort of zero gravity treadmill to help people get back to their lives faster.

My sciatic stays gone as long as I keep up on injections every few years. The doctor gives me one really deep into the butt (SI area) that does help.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:52 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
A new finding by myself the last two weeks don't wear a really tight belt. Loosen it up and take it off when you don't need it. When I did this my sciatic nerve problems just vanished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness