Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 10:28 PM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times

Advertisements

Wood-Burning Emissions Threaten Lung Health
Particle pollution. In some places, wood-burning is the major source of particle pollution. Nitrogen oxides. Nitrogen oxides harm health indoors and outdoors and helps create particle pollution.
A proper HEPA air purifier will mitigate the adverse health effects of exposure.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...on-study-finds

https://www.trusens.com/news/blog/in...tion-solution/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 10:01 AM

1,128 posts, read 609,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Any point investing in a Dyson air purifier?
It is kind of pricey.
Dyson... lol. This brand is mostly for the uppity and "look I have a high end product".

Don't get me wrong, it's probably a very good device. But like it's overpriced vacuum cleaners or fancy smancy hairdryers and fans, you pay a huge premium to get the coolest looking product.

For me all I care about is effectiveness for the price. I have a cheap vacuum (Dirt Devil) cleaner I got on sale for $99.99. It cleans so well that sometimes it's difficult to move the vacuum because the suction is so strong. Whereas my buddy's Dyson barely works to the point of being useless (yeah it's a bit older, but still).

If I was looking for an air purifier, I'd Google the reviews and pick up a more mass market brand. The price would probably be 1/3 of the Dyson and work just as well if not better.

But reading all the replies, I have to admit all I will do is open a few windows for 1 hr or so a day and turn on the kitchen stove exhaust fan when cooking with gas.

I may also look into getting a CO detector and put one in the kitchen and basement. Maybe a radon detector in the basement?

Old 10-19-2023, 02:41 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Dyson... lol. This brand is mostly for the uppity and "look I have a high end product".

Don't get me wrong, it's probably a very good device. But like it's overpriced vacuum cleaners or fancy smancy hairdryers and fans, you pay a huge premium to get the coolest looking product.

For me all I care about is effectiveness for the price. I have a cheap vacuum (Dirt Devil) cleaner I got on sale for $99.99. It cleans so well that sometimes it's difficult to move the vacuum because the suction is so strong. Whereas my buddy's Dyson barely works to the point of being useless (yeah it's a bit older, but still).

If I was looking for an air purifier, I'd Google the reviews and pick up a more mass market brand. The price would probably be 1/3 of the Dyson and work just as well if not better.

But reading all the replies, I have to admit all I will do is open a few windows for 1 hr or so a day and turn on the kitchen stove exhaust fan when cooking with gas.

I may also look into getting a CO detector and put one in the kitchen and basement. Maybe a radon detector in the basement?
A consumer grade "air purifier" all by itself won't remove built up CO or CO2 or miraculously turn it into oxygen...

Old 10-19-2023, 02:52 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A consumer grade "air purifier" all by itself won't remove built up CO or CO2 or miraculously turn it into oxygen...
Do you have some reason to assume that the CO or CO2 content in your home is running high?

Do you have some reason to assume that the O2 levels in your home are running low?

I have experience working/living in environments of high CO2 and low O2 levels.

I understand that if you have some device that could fail and begin to produce CO, it would be wise to have a CO detector installed. I have one of those.

Or if you live in a basement then it would be wise to have a radon detector installed.

But I thought for the most part this thread is about air particulates [tiny microscopic particles] which is easily filtered.

Old 10-19-2023, 03:08 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
I'm sure you have.

Do you have some reason to assume that the CO or CO2 content in your home is running high?

No.

Do you have some reason to assume that the O2 levels in your home are running low?

No.

The discussion had drifted to include CO and CO2. Given how clueless many people seem to be about "air quality" I thought it might be helpful to comment about what off-the-shelf air purifiers can and cannot be expected to do.

Old 10-19-2023, 05:42 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,321,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post

OK
I shall look around for a proper HEPA air purifier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness