Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 04:56 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When it is -20F ?
Even then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2023, 10:30 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
When we learned about gas stoves emitting harmful fumes, we started opening windows at each end of the condo for cross-ventilation during the cooking process. Our vent hood is worthless.

We keep the bathroom windows open all the time, though the door is shut due to not wanting to waste a/c.
Of course, we don't have a winter. I've thought of getting an outdoor oven, but seems like another hassle.

I've read this is one drawback of super-insulated houses.

Old 10-15-2023, 10:38 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post

How bad does the air quality indoors get?
Not nearly as bad as those with a political agenda would have us believe.

http://www.scientificintegrityinstit...CJEE110317.pdf

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/01/...-cause-asthma/

Indoor air quality in a typical house won't cause health problems in the previously healthy, but for those with existing problems, like asthma or COPD, it can be an aggravating factor-- too hot, too cold, too dry, too humid or too dusty can bring on symptoms.

Old 10-15-2023, 11:07 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
There is no carbon dioxide expelled into the indoor air.
I'm expelling carbon dioxide right this minute! So is my cat!

Old 10-15-2023, 01:40 PM

7,505 posts, read 3,227,551 times
I have a few air purifiers (I need them for the wildfires). So, I run them once every day or two for an hour on high.

I usually get sinus infections, etc., when I turn on the furnace. I am trying to put it off as long as possible this year. I am using a small space heater in the living room and the "foot warmers" for the cats (they love sleeping on their warm pads). I have this tiny lightweight ceramic space heater that I usually use in my den and I am moving it between the den and the living room.

So far, so good, but, only dealing with a high of 60 today.

Old 10-15-2023, 02:52 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I'm expelling carbon dioxide right this minute! So is my cat!

Old 10-15-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
There is no carbon dioxide expelled into the indoor air. If anything there would be carbon monoxide but that's why we have carbon monoxide detectors.
There are no living organisms in your house other than plants?

Old 10-18-2023, 11:58 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There are no living organisms in your house other than plants?
Harmful levels of carbon dioxide that would lead to displacing all the oxygen in the house and causing problems with the body. I guess I wouldn't know what would happen if a house was so energy efficient and so super insulated that no air exchange with the outside was possible. I guess in theory it would be possible in time to displace all the oxygen in that house given enough time.

In practice, no house will ever achieve that level of efficiency. It's something I wouldn't lose any sleep over. Just make sure to have a carbon monoxide detector installed. I'd go so far to say that if you deal with natural gas or propane in any way in your house, you should have carbon monoxide detectors.

Now you guys have me wanting to buy a CO2 monitor just because I'm a science geek. Thanks a lot. LOL

I've narrowed down through research the one you should buy. Also offers a phone app that lets you track and chart temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, and CO2 levels remotely.

https://www.amazon.com/Aranet4-Home-.../dp/B07YY7BH2W

"After using several different brands of CO2 Meters over the last five years, to somewhat unsatisfactory results, I was relieved to find that SAF Tehnika, a maker of premium weather station and environmental equipment mostly for the agricultural sector, released this household unit utilizing a Senseair CO2 sensor.
The Aranet4 Home is made in Lativa, with a sensor made in Switzerland. The sensor offers high accuracy, and is able to be manually or automatically calibrated (the main issue with many of the inexpensive Chinese imports). Bluetooth transmits at -12 dBm (0.063mW) or up to 10 m at 4 dBm (2.5mW), -- however, since Bluetooth and WiFi run on the same 2.4 Ghz frequency, I find that turning wireless off on your phone will allow for a greater connectivity range with Bluetooth. The Normal -12 dBm transmit power affords me connecting to the Aranet4 Home from across the room, while only reducing battery life by 25%, compared to having Bluetooth off. The Extended 4 dBm transmit power will reduce battery life even more, but I find this range to be unnecessary.
The iPhone app works well, and allows for additional configuration beyond the four physical switches beneath the battery tray, -- like data measurement interval from the default of every 5 minutes, Bluetooth transmit power, and the display units.
The temperature and humidity readings are accurate, and the CO2 readings remain true, not falling out of tolerance as seen in so many other inexpensive units.
For longer battery life, upgrade the included alkaline batteries to NiMH 'Low Self Discharge' like Panasonic Eneloop 1900mAh AA Batteries, which will yield roughly six times longer life between recharges.
The Aranet4 Home is well-built, designed, and supported. The best Co2 Meter that I have seen under $1000."

https://www.co2meter.com/blogs/news/...at-home-tester

Last edited by sholomar; 10-18-2023 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-18-2023, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Harmful levels of carbon dioxide that would lead to displacing all the oxygen in the house and causing problems with the body. I guess I wouldn't know what would happen if a house was so energy efficient and so super insulated that no air exchange with the outside was possible. I guess in theory it would be possible in time to displace all the oxygen in that house given enough time.

In practice, no house will ever achieve that level of efficiency. It's something I wouldn't lose any sleep over. Just make sure to have a carbon monoxide detector installed. I'd go so far to say that if you deal with natural gas or propane in any way in your house, you should have carbon monoxide detectors.
again. I am not losing any sleep over any of this. I have no need or interest in a CO2 detector. CO detector yes. It should be common sense to install that in a house equipped with gas, propane, oil, and/or wood heat. All but one of my homes has. Those appliances require venting so even that provides a minor source of air exchange. So does plumbing. Even a perfectly built house with electric heat and no plumbing will still have some air exchange. The independently mobile life forms living there consume something: groceries, supplies, whatever. Even if the beings never leave for themselves, their stuff has to come in and go out, normally making use of a rather large opening called a door.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-18-2023 at 03:10 PM..

Old 10-18-2023, 09:40 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,321,801 times
Any point investing in a Dyson air purifier?
It is kind of pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness