Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 06:58 PM

1,124 posts, read 607,749 times

Advertisements

Okay, it's getting cold here now and time to shut all the windows and turn on the furnace.

Personally I'm a huge "open all the windows" person. I hate the thought of co2, gas appliance off gassing and just the accumulation of "pollutants" indoors.

But today I turned on the furnace. It's just getting too cold to open the windows.

It will be months of cold with all windows and doors shut.

How bad does the air quality indoors get?

Does the accumulation of our expelled co2 make the indoor air worse?

How about all the gas appliances running (furnace, stove, water heater, etc)?

Am I paranoid or does indoor air in a typical small house get bad in the Wintertime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 07:20 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
There is no carbon dioxide expelled into the indoor air. If anything there would be carbon monoxide but that's why we have carbon monoxide detectors.

There's not really anything to worry about from indoor air, besides radon if you live in a susceptible area with a basement area that doesn't have mitigation, but even that that's not something most people even think about.

Get a carbon monoxide detector installed. Test the radon levels in your basement.

This is one of those things that is mostly paranoia spread through social media, often to sell you expensive solutions to this rather nonexistent problem.

Old 10-14-2023, 09:49 AM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
We live in rural Maine and we have two wood stoves in our house as our only source of winter heat.

We have heatpumps that cool our home in summer and they can take some of the chill off in Spring or Autumn, but once Winter settles in, they are no longer capable of heating our home.

We find a thin layer of soot or ash on everything in our home. As a result, we are now using a whole house air filter to reduce that.

Old 10-14-2023, 11:13 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
I also prefer open windows. I have always kept lots of indoor plants by the sunny windows. From google:

Raising plants indoors is a home-healthy move because of their ability to clean the air of carbon dioxide, but their benefits don't stop there. According to several studies, the average houseplant can remove formaldehyde, benzene, and a host of other toxins that plague typical indoor air.

https://www.nachi.org/plants-indoor-...20indoor%20air.

Old 10-14-2023, 11:21 AM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
The reality is, homes that use gas usually have somewhat poorer air-quality compared to those that do not. Are those air-quality levels dangerous/unhealthy, for the most part, probably not.

Of course air-quality will vary depending on many factors; how well your flue is sealed, if you have systems with/without pilot-lights, how much ventilation your home has, if you have newer, clean-burning gas-appliances/heating, etc, etc.

I much prefer electric-powered appliances and heating......in every single place that I have lived that had gas, I could smell the difference in the air compared to places I lived with no gas.

Old 10-14-2023, 11:25 AM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
It is never to cold to air the house out.

Old 10-14-2023, 03:56 PM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
When it is -20F ?

Old 10-14-2023, 04:18 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
That's what I do, year round. Just open windows for a short time.

Old 10-14-2023, 04:24 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When it is -20F ?
That would be too cold for me to open the windows, lol. Last time I went through that was in the 90's, one week of -20. Blankets in the windows. No one went out.

I moved to where it was warmer shortly after that.

Old 10-14-2023, 04:33 PM

23,260 posts, read 18,777,131 times
This is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions OP. Too many variables, not to mention your description of "typical small house" doesn't really mean much.

FWIW, my house is relatively small: 1280 sq ft. It's less than 10 years old, very energy efficient and tight. Gas appliances and primary heat. Windows really aren't opened for about 6 months of the year due to the climate. Do people open doors and let "fresh" air in as they go in or out? Of course they do! None of this means the air quality has to be bad. The house also has an HRV recirculation system. I can adjust the airflow and frequency of cycles from continuous to intermittent or I can shut it down entirely. Do I use vent fans while showering or cooking? Of course I do. There are no musty corners, trouble with mildew, mold or odors. I also keep tiny cage birds; true life canaries in a coal mine. If there was an air quality problem, most likely they're going to show the effects much sooner than I do. They don't.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-14-2023 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness