Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 06:27 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times

Advertisements

I'm on metoprolol for pvc's that turned into vtach about 2 years ago. My body was able to snap out of it before I even felt it, I only knew I had it because it was found on an EKG.

Had MRIs and CT scans, everything structurally normal with my heart. Fast forward to now and I'm feeling the pvc's every day again. They had been gone ever since being on the metoprolol. I attached my at home EKG I just took. Is metoprolol something I will need to slowly up the dose on as my body gets used to it?

Any opinions? I just moved and can't get into my new doctor for another month and emailed my old doctor but waiting to hear back.
Attached Thumbnails
PVCs happening again, metoprolol-screenshot_20220806-201411_drive-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 06:40 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Anxiety, stress, dehydration, over tired, too much caffeine can all make arrhythmias worse. Moving is one of those top tier stressful events. If you're not experiencing chest pain, PVCs in themselves aren't dangerous.

FWIW, I take metoprolol for SVT. The dosage hasn't changed in 4 years even though I have since had a couple of A-fib episodes. No cardiovascular disease. I still have PVCs but have learned to dismiss them. If I allow myself to get too focused on them for some reason, that gets the adrenalin feedback loop going and makes them worse. Pointedly relaxing and paying more attention to hydration helps.

I am NOT saying you shouldn't check with your doc...follow up.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-06-2022 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-06-2022, 06:57 PM

Thanks! It's just nice to hear from others in similar situations so I don't feel so alone. I try to relax but having the pvc's so frequently in a short span of time do make me panic a bit. Because I worry I'll have 3 or more one after the other and have it turn into vtach again which is dangerous. (Sigh) I'll try to breathe for now until I hear back from my doctor.
Thanks!

Old 08-07-2022, 03:51 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Even young kids occassionally will flip a PVC. Older folks do it more often. (Draw your own conclusions.) I'd recommend a cardiac stress test at this point....Na, K, Ca & Mg levels should be checked.

Beta blockers (like metoprolol) are a good first guess at treatment. They are essentially the "antidote for adrenalin." Yours got better with the med, so stick to it. People on beta-blockers have a much lower incidence of sudden death due to their beneficial effect against v tach/fib.

Some PVCs are rate dependent-- you only get them if the HR is above or below some level. If they depend on a slow rate, then beta-blockers may not be the best choice.

Isolated PVCs don't necessarily need to be treated, but when they occur in salvoes, then v tach/fib is more likely and should be teated.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:26 AM

Thanks! I'm in my thirties Incase that matters. Im hoping I hear from my cardiologist tomorrow and perhaps I just need my does increased. When this all started the palpitations we're non stop for days
Now I get them for maybe 5 min spurts non stop.

I'll try relaxing and just waiting for my doctor. I do take vitamins for low B12.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:50 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Only in your 30s, it's unlikely coronary disease is the culprit (unless you have a strong fam hx of relatives with early CAD).

There are a couple of papers by mathematicians that show various dysrhythmias are really "caused" by subtle differnces in the constants in the chaotic LaPlacian Equation that describes heartbeats-- a concept that only a few cardiologists, even electrophysiologists, are aware, most being innumerate. ..In other words, it's just one of those things-- no real correctable cause. Just treat it.

Commonly associated with PVCs in younger folks is Prolapsing Mitral Valve (PMV, Barlowe's Syndrome)...and PMV is treated with beta-blockers also. Two birds with one stone. It's diagnosed by hearing a click and murmur on PE and confirmed with an echocardiogram. It can be intermittent and missed on isolated examines.

Another consideration-- PVCs are common in cardiomyopathy...Have you had CoV or vax recently or any other viral illness? Often self-limited, but it can be permanent, and severity highly variable.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:18 AM

I had a covid vax but it was after my initial vtach happened. I have not had any boosters or even a 2nd shot because of a horrid reaction.

I have had a cardiac MRI which showed some thickening and trabeculationa but apparently I did not qualify for a diagnosis of LVNC which is what they initially thought. I have also had a CT of my heart. Both of those tests held no answers thought they did find that I have an thoracic aortic aneurysm of 4.2 by CT scan and 4.0 by MRI. So they are now watching that as well. I have never been a smoker, don't drink and am not overweight...so that part is also a mystery.

Old 08-07-2022, 02:30 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I'm on metoprolol for pvc's that turned into vtach about 2 years ago. My body was able to snap out of it before I even felt it, I only knew I had it because it was found on an EKG.

Had MRIs and CT scans, everything structurally normal with my heart. Fast forward to now and I'm feeling the pvc's every day again. They had been gone ever since being on the metoprolol. I attached my at home EKG I just took. Is metoprolol something I will need to slowly up the dose on as my body gets used to it?

Any opinions? I just moved and can't get into my new doctor for another month and emailed my old doctor but waiting to hear back.
I'm 77 and had heart issues for many years. I've been on Metroprol for about 10 years and recently had to decrease my dose as my heart rate was in the 40s. Just had a checkup with my cardiologist and he says my heart is just fine even with atrial flutter and pulmonary hypertension. I NEVE R worry. Take care

Old 08-07-2022, 04:50 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post

Have you tried drinking coconut water? It’s a fantastic natural source of potassium. Whenever I feel an arrhythmia episode coming on, I drink 1,2 or 3 cups of coconut water and 80% of the time it just nips it in the bud.

Old 08-07-2022, 05:37 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Have you tried drinking coconut water? It’s a fantastic natural source of potassium. Whenever I feel an arrhythmia episode coming on, I drink 1,2 or 3 cups of coconut water and 80% of the time it just nips it in the bud.
Its more than the potassium. Coconut water is also high in magnesium and calcium. Magnesium is equally if not more important than potassium in regulating heart rhythm. Calcium, magnesium and potassium are closely intertwined. An imbalance of magnesium-potassium (too much OR too little) can cause irregular heartbeat. IMHO, someone with a known heart condition shouldn't start swilling lots of extra electrolytes without running it past their cardiologist. You can overdo it. If your mag/pot/calcium levels are already out of whack, you could do more harm than good.

https://www.dailybody.net/how-does-p...ect-the-heart/

OP your doc has probably already done so, but if not, they should monitor for magnesium deficiency. Many folks with arrhythmias are deficient.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-07-2022 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness