Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 07:08 PM

3,492 posts, read 1,409,976 times

Advertisements

I went to my Ophthalmologist yesterday for my routine eye exam, and he noticed that my eye pressure was a 12, which he claimed is slightly higher than it has been historically for me. As a result, he thinks I'm a glaucoma suspect, so he had me do a visual field test, which came back normal. Because that test came back normal, he said he's not concerned about anything and as long as I keep coming in annually to get my eyes checked, then I have nothing to worry about.

But just the fact that he thinks I'm a "suspect" for glaucoma raises concerns because this is a disease that can cause permanent blindness. I know he says not to worry about it, but he could just be saying that so I don't panic. And the fact that he said I need to get my eyes checked annually means that this needs to be strictly monitored, so that's why I'm worried.

I researched and 12 is still a normal eye pressure, but I guess because it's higher than it has been historically for me, it raised a red flag.

So how worried should I be? Is there a chance I might become blind in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 07:15 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,964 times
You don't say why you see an ophthalmologist routinely. Do you wear glasses? There's two slightly different types of glaucoma. One is associated with far-sighted people ie closed angle. They refer to it as ocular hypertension.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:21 PM

3,492 posts, read 1,409,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
You don't say why you see an ophthalmologist routinely. Do you wear glasses? There's two slightly different types of glaucoma. One is associated with far-sighted people ie closed angle. They refer to it as ocular hypertension.
Sorry, I'm near sighted and have astigmatism.

Not sure if this helps, but this is my current eyeglasses prescription-

OD: -150 (spherical), -100 (cylindrical), 85 (axis)

Old 12-14-2023, 07:36 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Sorry, I'm near sighted and have astigmatism.

Not sure if this helps, but this is my current eyeglasses prescription-

OD: -150 (spherical), -100 (cylindrical), 85 (axis)
They will monitor and if it becomes elevated then eye drops every day will be the treatment. They will continue to do visual field testing to detect optic nerve damage. With people who have closed angle the last resort is lens replacement to open up the drainage.

Not sure about the other type.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:14 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
I went to my Ophthalmologist yesterday for my routine eye exam, and he noticed that my eye pressure was a 12, which he claimed is slightly higher than it has been historically for me. As a result, he thinks I'm a glaucoma suspect, so he had me do a visual field test, which came back normal. Because that test came back normal, he said he's not concerned about anything and as long as I keep coming in annually to get my eyes checked, then I have nothing to worry about.

But just the fact that he thinks I'm a "suspect" for glaucoma raises concerns because this is a disease that can cause permanent blindness. I know he says not to worry about it, but he could just be saying that so I don't panic. And the fact that he said I need to get my eyes checked annually means that this needs to be strictly monitored, so that's why I'm worried.

I researched and 12 is still a normal eye pressure, but I guess because it's higher than it has been historically for me, it raised a red flag.

So how worried should I be? Is there a chance I might become blind in the future?
Presumably you mean 12 mm of mercury which isn't elevated at all. Its nowhere near the point where glaucoma would be suspected. I have no idea why they had you do the visual field test, which I hate. I would get a 2nd opinion and possibly stick with the new doctor.

By comparison both of my eyes are over 21, which is above normal, and my doctor thinks my chances of developing glaucoma are very low. You are fine.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:41 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Don't borrow trouble from tomorrow, but do get your eyes checked regularly:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt.../4212-glaucoma

My Grandma didn't get proper care back then, she lost one eye and then went blind in the other. Today, we have much better treatments so don't live in fear but thankfulness that it can be diagnosed and properly treated.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:44 AM

2,893 posts, read 2,141,584 times
generally easy to control with drops when needed. if the drops don't control it adequately there are other options to go to in addition to drops. I have open angle.

my ophtho would be thrilled if I hit 12

Old 12-15-2023, 04:21 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,047,879 times
I am close to being glaucoma suspect and my eye doctor has me come in every 6 months for the full exam. I find the exam tedious but want to do all that is recommended to preserve my vision.

Same thing with preserving my teeth. Dental cleaning and exam every 6 months my entire adult life and daily flossing without fail.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:48 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times
Quote:

I've been a glaucoma suspect for 15 years or so. What your ophthalmologist is telling you and recommending sounds right to me. My pressures have been 22 or so for years now. As long as the visual field exam and optic nerve imaging look okay, my doctor says I can have these pressures forever without going blind.

So I think you can relax a bit. Just keep going back and you'll know whether you need to do more in the future, but IMO you have a lot of time before you would be anywhere near going blind. There are eyedrops and surgeries and undoubtedly there will be even more therapies developed as time goes on.

I had one horrible nurse at another ophthalmologist's office who told me that because I couldn't use the drops due to side effects, I would go blind. That was pretty scary, but after a day or so I told myself that there are plenty of blind people in the world who cope, and if they can, I can. And then I found a different ophthalmologist.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:50 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,121 times
Just get regular check ups and you'll be fine. If the pressure level raises you will just have to take medication. Glaucoma doesn't equate to blindness any more. Regular check ups are key though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness