Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 08:50 PM

13,274 posts, read 364,885 times

Advertisements

Been there done that…
In the mean time be careful, but also try not to lose muscle tone and strength.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 09:16 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Give 'tailgate swings' a try. I do them everyday to help keep my knees healthy. The movement forces synovial fluid into the knee bringing nutrients along with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWUW6szUMso

Old 02-26-2024, 01:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
And yes, I'm older, but I'm also taking antibiotics, which I read can increase the likelihood of meniscus tears.

I think it depends on the type of antibiotic and certain fluoroquinolones can cause tendonitis or tendon rupture. Ask me how I know!

Cipro and levofloxacin are two I know of. The vast majority of antibiotics are not in this class, thankfully. However, doctors tend to order Cipro and Levofloxacin because they are very effective, sort of like killing a mouse with a bazooka.

Good article:
https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/f...s-safety-risks

I haven't heard of antibiotics increasing the likelihood of meniscus tears! But after my disastrous experience with fluoroquinolones, I don't take anything lightly anymore.

Old 02-26-2024, 02:13 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I haven't heard of antibiotics increasing the likelihood of meniscus tears!

That's probably because they don't.

Old 02-26-2024, 06:11 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
That's probably because they don't.
Sorry, I didn't bookmark the page that mentioned that they do.
I've been on and off antibiotics for months (not any that promote tendon issues), so it could be an explanation of why it tore when I stood up from the couch, not normally a dangerous activity.

Old 02-26-2024, 06:57 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
I've been on and off antibiotics for months (not any that promote tendon issues), so it could be an explanation of why it tore when I stood up from the couch, not normally a dangerous activity.
I don't remember injuring either of my knees, but I have a torn meniscus in both of them. It is very common as you age. Some older people have a torn meniscus without any pain, but it shows up on an MRI.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:37 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:

Antibiotics before meniscus injury or even surgery is believed to promote better outcomes.

Old 02-26-2024, 11:11 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
I had surgery for a meniscus tear about 9 years ago. Took a helluva long time to heal from that surgery but glad I had it done. I can barely remember which knee it was now.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Couldn't find it listed as a side effect anywhere.

Many people have meniscus tears and some don't even know it. The older we get, the more likely it becomes.

Old 03-01-2024, 11:52 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
I have had 5 tears in my right knee and 3, possibly 4, in my left knee. i haven't had surgery for any of them, although, it was recommended for my left knee. I had a period of pain in my left knee that last maybe close to 3 years, but it was at varying stages of pain. It had a floating piece, a tear and a flap. It eventually healed up, or the pain just went away, and I have not had persistent pain for a long time. My right knee has been pain free for years. I continued to bike because I never had any pain biking. It seemed to improve it by loosening up the knee.

I have had some cortisone shots and some helped, but others did not. I found that krill oil taking over several months helped the most, I think. Recently, I read that boron can help with arthritis pain, so I have been taking a low dose. I have no idea if it will help my meniscus.

I find if I sit for long periods of time, that is very hard on my knees. If I keep moving, periodically, they seem to do much better as it reduces the stiffness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness