Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
My husband has a terrible time with dr office's who only have a one size cuff blood pressure machines. His arms are muscular and are bigger than normal arms. The assistants always take his bp with the too tight cuffs and it comes out really high. He asked one office if they had a bigger cuff size and they said no and acted like they did not know that having different size cuffs was even possible. He had to take in his readings from home and his machine to show they were wrong.He also told them they need to get educated about such things,(he was sorta ticked off), never went back to that office after the 2nd visit.
I was wondering if he was unique in this problem. Found this article talking about the cuff sizes need to be the right size for the arms....
https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-...es-not-fit-all
Let's put it this way...these "professionals" who are taking out blood pressure in medical offices...their knowledge is sometimes very limited. One day I went into urgent care and the middle aged assistant said, "Oh damn, this machine isn't working again". I said, "Here, let me show you how it works". I mean, really???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Yeah, funny they take BP outside of their own guidelines. But the bureaucracy's gotta do what the bureaucracy's gotta do.

For some years now I've had reverse doctor office syndrome blood pressure readings. Significantly lower at the doc's office. Don't ask me why.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

11,059 posts, read 6,881,999 times
That's a whole other thread, the shocking ignorance of many contemporary health care workers. It's always gratifying whenever I run across someone who actually knows of my 3 conditions and how to spell them.

When I've taken my blood pressure at home and have tried to tell them what it was, they wave it off as though the digital home machines are worthless.

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
What's the point of trying to "cheat" a BP reading? Wouldn't it make more sense to just have an honest conversation with your doc about why you think your reading is high? If your doctor isn't willing to take it at the end or after you've relaxed a bit, you should find a new doc.

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Ok, maybe I'm just lucky but I always get put in a room by the gal that takes my temp and weight. I sit there for a about ten minutes and they come take my blood pressure and ask why I'm there, what meds I'm currently taking. Then they let me chill another ten minutes or so while I wait for the doc to come in and do his thing. (My office visits are always a great time to get a little reading in!)

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

208 posts, read 119,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Yeah, funny they take BP outside of their own guidelines. But the bureaucracy's gotta do what the bureaucracy's gotta do.

For some years now I've had reverse doctor office syndrome blood pressure readings. Significantly lower at the doc's office. Don't ask me why.

I had the same issue-regarding BP being just fine at the Dr.'s office. I read an article that quite a few people have this and it's called masked HBP.
I finally got on HBP medication about 18 months ago after several higher than normal readings at other offices such as the dentist, and the eye dr. Your eyes tell a lot!

My dr office always has me wait and relax a few minutes before taking my BP. If the machine reads high then the dr. takes in manually-that manual reading helped convince the dr that I needed HPB meds.

I was one of those people who got stressed out just taking my own BP but then once this medication seemed to stabilize it I got into the habit of taking it once a day. I took it a different times of the day just to see and it was always within range-maybe a high (to me) reading here or there.

I now take it in the morning before coffee simply because that is the easiest time for me to do so. I put the cuff on at the same fit and spot each time and use the same elevation. Is it the proper way? I think so but I figure if I'm consistent it should show with a change in readings.

I was told by the dr that guidelines for BP for the "elderly" (I'm 65) have changed and now they only get concerned if the BP is over 140/90-which seems high to me!

Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
I get those "how did we do?" surveys after the visit.

I have started reporting every time when they do the BP wrong now.

At least someone wanted to do it manually. My favorite is when they put on the automated machine and it practically slices my arm in two with its inflating and never stopping... and then comes back at 170/100.

They have to use them because they no longer have nurses and the people taking vitals don't have any medical training.

Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
What's the point of trying to "cheat" a BP reading? Wouldn't it make more sense to just have an honest conversation with your doc about why you think your reading is high? If your doctor isn't willing to take it at the end or after you've relaxed a bit, you should find a new doc.
How is following protocol "cheating"?

I have told doctors that the BP reading was wrong, due to (1) readings at other offices and (2) readings on my home unit. They're usually too busy to care. Anyway, the office that was the worst problem is no longer my primary care due to moving out of the area. My new doctor is amazing and I'm grateful.

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
How is following protocol "cheating"?

I have told doctors that the BP reading was wrong, due to (1) readings at other offices and (2) readings on my home unit. They're usually too busy to care. Anyway, the office that was the worst problem is no longer my primary care due to moving out of the area. My new doctor is amazing and I'm grateful.
Please tell me where protocol calls for going on a brisk walk an hour before, reading a book/magazine, or imagining a certain scenario in your head? Where are you reading about any of these things when reading about protocol for taking bp?

If a doctor is too busy to care, get a new doctor....which is what I said.

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Please tell me where protocol calls for going on a brisk walk an hour before, reading a book/magazine, or imagining a certain scenario in your head? Where are you reading about any of these things when reading about protocol for taking bp?
That is not mandated protocol. That was a suggestion from someone who's tried it after hearing about it from others.

Current guidelines for the management of hypertension recommend that office brachial blood pressure (BP) should be optimally measured after 5 min of seated rest. However, brachial BP may decrease for up to 10 min of seated rest, after which it reaches a plateau level. May 30, 2013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness