Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:57 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
On the Tyra Banks show a while back they talked about skin bleaching. Common among the black women in the black community. There are actual skin creams you can buy to bleach your skin. I asked a friend at work about it and she said that their is something among blacks called coloring. That light skinned black people are better then a dark skinned black people.
To me this is interesting. I would love for a black female to comment about this.
i watched this and it made me cry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 12:05 AM

202 posts, read 1,075,419 times
Quote:
Actually, I work with several black women and today we talked about this. All of them said this is pretty common. But it depends on where you live I guess?
not common in my area

Old 09-24-2008, 07:40 AM

952 posts, read 3,706,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
i watched this and it made me cry

I'm sorry. t was really messed up when you hear this women bleach their kids. One was only 4 I believe

Old 09-28-2008, 05:17 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,333 times
redwine,

Its so sad, I mean for people not to see how beautiful they are, and then try to do something drastic to change themselves.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:44 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Bleaching creams have been on the Market for along time and most black women who used or still use it do so to even out the "tone" of their skin, People with dark skin can have areas of their face that are different shades and skin tone cream can fix this.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:52 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
I know I have heard of it, but it is so sad when you think about it.... a negation of oneself.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-27-2009, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,774 times
Redwine that's what is known as "Self hatred" when i darker african american feels like they should be lighter skinned w/ straight long hair to be beautiful or more attractive. I like it's crazy i actually thought about bleaching my skin a couple of times

Old 06-27-2009, 01:13 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,725,818 times
Quote:
On the Tyra Banks show a while back they talked about skin bleaching. Common among the black women in the black community. There are actual skin creams you can buy to bleach your skin. I asked a friend at work about it and she said that their is something among blacks called coloring. That light skinned black people are better then a dark skinned black people.
To me this is interesting. I would love for a black female to comment about this.
this prejudice is an old one and it's prevalent (as a result of white racists and their fear and loathing of dark skin) in the black community as well.
and it (the negative attitudes toward darker skin) effects black women more than black men ... at least in this country.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:20 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Yes, but not your explanation.

Vitiligo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've never seen anyone with Vitiligo who had even coloration like Michael Jackson.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:21 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
It seems years ago I had heard of White Mormon adoptive parents of Native- American children using bleaching creams and keeping the kids out of the sun to make them "more attractive". An anthropologist might be able to answer the question as to why many cultures with degrees of brown skin find it necessary to be lighter. I would guess the fewer fairer skinned individuals, resulting from recessive melanin restrictive genes , might seem to be "special" by virtue of being fewer and different. There has always been the idea of the rareness of a thing indicating it's value; white deer, white horse. It's truly an arbitrary deduction resulting from coincidental natural selection traits. Too bad our modern day intellect hasn't gotten beyond our ancient superstitions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness