Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:01 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,632 times

Advertisements

As I read around and think about life in general these days - I am awed by the immense amount of negative energy flowing everywhere.

Can't, won't, never, always. It is so depressing. And with this depression comes more and more commercials for meds to combat depression - flollowed by ads showing you how you should look, what life you should live, what THINGS will make you happy.

Anyone ever thought of just being POSITIVE? Ther are never enough THINGS to takeaway depression when it comes from within.

Believing in yourself and your abilities and believing in what you are doing is the key to any successful life. But how can we be positve when we are constantly told 'we will never make it', 'that will never work', they will never change that' , 'You can't fight city hall'?

I have been to the very bottom of the barrel. I have lost a home, a vehicle, two jobs, filed Bankruptcy...but I awake every morning - now - with nothing on my mind to worry about. Why? Because I will not allow it.

I have taken the approach that life is too short to be weighed down with negative energy. If there is something that needs or has to be done - I begin with the attitude that is is going to be done, it will happen, and though things may try to trip me up - I will succeed.

I read through the boards - not just this site, but others, and am overwhelmed with the hate and negative energy which can be generated by a simple question. Why respond with negative, degrading comments. Why always look at the down side. Why even assume the downside exists?

Case in point - this past Saturday, my son had a Drill Meet for JROTC. One of the squads was getting ready to go on the floor, and two of the girls kept saying "if we fall off the stair case....if we drop the rifle..."

I stopped them and told them a little story - when you tell a child with a glass of milk "be careful, don't spill that glass of milk - the only thing he hears is "SPILL THE GLASS OF MILK". Therefore, within a few seconds of telling him NOT to - the milk is on the floor. This is usually followed by "See, I told you you were going to spill that glass of milk if you weren't careful!"

Poor kid. But - not his fault. The brain didn't hear the 'don't' part - it only heard 'spill the glass of milk'. It is all in the wording.

So, I told the girls, and made them repeat this "the stair case will work and nothing will hit the floor.'' They thought I was nuts, but I had them laughing and repeating it several times.

Guess what? The staircase worked and nothing hit the floor.

When you attack things in life from a positive point of view - things just work. Yes - there are obstacles along the way to test you - but the constant positive reinforcement will eventually make the situation work. It's programming of the brain, that's all.

I have talked about my mil before. She is the one of the most negative people I know and because of this, bad things keep happening. She has already programmed her brain to expect the negative, and therefore has sealed her fate. I no longer allow this negative energy to enter my positive circle.
Each day is new, good things are going to happen - and when my 'good' collides with someone elses 'bad' - it's a bump in the road - not the end of the world.

It took me 40 years to get to this point. I can look back at so many things and see how my thinking changed the outcome of a thousand situations. You can think yourself in and out of anything.

Like practicing freethrows in Basketball - the brain doesn't know the difference between the actual physical activity and imagining it in the mind. This is a proven fact. In a test group - one side practiced for many hours a day. The other group spent a few hours a day imagining the ball going through the hoop everytime. The result - both groups were successful - with the 'imagine' side actually a little better because the brain doesn't know the difference, and they never made a bad shot.

So - tomorrow when you get up - there will be green lights on the way to work, your coffee will stay in the cup, the line at the grocery will be fast, and chores will get done. People will try and take the positive from you - allow only positive. Turn the bad to good no matter the situation.

Take away the negative - and the world is a better place for us all.

Positve energy flows all around us - grab it and hang on!

KimmieyKY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 07:09 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
And I've found that surrounding yourself with "positive" people and places...it makes it alot better.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:57 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
I don't have control over the what happens in my life, but I do have control over how I decide to handle things that happen. And I will always choose the positive side everytime.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:14 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
And I've found that surrounding yourself with "positive" people and places...it makes it alot better.
I 100% agree with this. I found it's better to have less people in your life but are positive then have lots of negative people around. I had a thread not to long ago on here about "dropping a friend" and that's what I had to do after 20 years of friendship. She was always complaining and negative, I thought I would be really upset at some point about it. I'm not, I feel a huge weight has been lifted.

Kimmieyky - thanks for starting this thread. With positive thinking you always come out a winner!

ILNC - Exactly right! Bad things are always going to happen in life but it's how you handle it is what counts.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:47 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
great post Kimmieky
and great follow ups everyone

somone once asked why I was so cheery in the mornings
I told them
"you wake up, you stand up, you don't fall down hey its going to be a good day"

Old 02-14-2007, 01:41 PM

613 posts, read 798,390 times
Great Thread Kimmie....I agree with you 110%!
I hope you are doing fantastic and I am still praying for you!

Old 02-14-2007, 02:12 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
I completely agree - mood is 100% contagious. I really dislike being around negative people for too long, because it brings me down. I am by nature somewhat cynical, but I work hard at staying positive and cheerful not only because it feels good, but also I want to give off a good "vibe," so to speak.

Case in point: a coworker came into work late last week; she had to call a state office that morning for personal reasons, and whoever she spoke to, was very rude to her. Therefore my coworker, who is normally cheerful, was in a bad mood. She then picked up the phone, called up someone (work related) and was rude to that person. So the rude person at the state passed on their bad mood to my coworker, who probably passed it on to whoever was unfortunate enough to get her first phone call of the day. Very sad!

Old 02-14-2007, 03:17 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,532,742 times
Kimmieyky: What were those JROtC kids doing on a staircase w/the rifles? Just curious. my sion is on the drill team at the university here, and every year til this one, something interfered with their being able to attend the Nationals. So, what happens? They ended up cancelling them. Talk about heartbroken. [by the way, did your son's school attend a drill competition in toledo recently-dec?]

Old 02-14-2007, 05:46 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,845 times
Default Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
"you wake up, you stand up, you don't fall down hey its going to be a good day"
By the time you are my age you are just happy not to fall down.

Now I've got to say that life is often what you make it. Keep on smiling.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:53 PM

10 posts, read 32,106 times
So the rude person at the state passed on their bad mood to my coworker, who probably passed it on to whoever was unfortunate enough to get her first phone call of the day. Very sad!

As in your Case in point >>> I find most state employees are rude nasty and make a point to be ignorant to the public. I think they are trained to be that way or its the fact that they as state workers think they are so much better then common folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness