Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Get An Annual Flu Shot?
Get one every year like clockwork! 21 28.38%
Hit or Miss! Sometimes I do. Sometimes not. 6 8.11%
Usually I do, but not always 1 1.35%
Don't get one because I think they may be harmful! 33 44.59%
Don't get one because I hate shot! (This would be my husband!) 3 4.05%
Other, please post 8 10.81%
WHO wants to know???!!! 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 05:40 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,204 times

Advertisements

I just got my first flu shot last week....good grief now I am sorry I got that. I almost never am sick. I volunteered on a life squad and taught school so I was around enough sick people I built up resistance I think. My husband talked me into it this year, since I am almost 60 and he is 66, but I may not get another one. I had no idea it had egg in it which I am allergic to...yikes. I didn't get a reaction but I sure won't be getting one again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 06:13 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
I got my first one today too. I'm not prone to getting sick, but since I help care for an elderly relative and work in an office filled with people who have children, I figured I'd get one. Wasn't a big deal. Didn't hurt, so what?

Old 11-01-2008, 09:34 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,858 times
Driftwoodpoint, if I'm not mistaken, I think some vaccines are cultured on the embryo of an egg.

As far as adding egg to the mix, that was just part of the spoof in that video .. I think.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:47 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
Hubby and I always get the shot. Have for years . No ill effects, and no bad cases of flu since we started getting them.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:44 PM

317 posts, read 1,751,136 times
My kids get one every year because of their asthma. My hubby and I will get one this year also because I am starting work as a nursing Aid and don't want to give it to patients or carry it home to hubby.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:46 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,399 times
NO flu shots for us!!!

Old 11-01-2008, 08:32 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I got my first one today too. I'm not prone to getting sick, but since I help care for an elderly relative and work in an office filled with people who have children, I figured I'd get one. Wasn't a big deal. Didn't hurt, so what?
I don't know if it was the vaccine, but sometime during the night I realized that I had a splitting headache but couldn't wake up enough to drink some water. It might have been that I fell asleep with the heat turned up.

So my headache went on till after lunch when I finally took an ibuprofen. Yack. I was fine soon after.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:36 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
About two decades ago, when our youngsters were late preschool/early elementary age, a particularly virulent strain of influenza went through our family. My spouse caught it first, and was off work for over a week. About the time he was starting to recover some, I caught it and was flat on my back for even longer than he had been. Then as I was finally starting to regain my strength, our daughter caught it, and my spouse and I had to take turns taking time off work to stay with her. She started recovering, and we thought we were in the clear, and then our son started his bout, which of course meant more days off for both parents with the sick child.

One way and another, my spouse and I each lost close to three weeks of work during that episode, at a time and in a region where paid sick leave was by no means universal. No such thing back then as FMLA. It cost us a bundle and a half to get through that.

Ever since then, the entire family has gotten the flu shot every year. The only exception was in the year when they had such a huge shortage of the vaccine, and even that year, my spouse got it, as he is officially categorized in one of the "at-risk" population groups. I recognize that when they are developing the vaccine, they don't know for absolute certain which strains to protect against, but they get it pretty close in most years. And even in the years, like last year, when they don't get it perfect, there is still some benefit from the vaccine.

There was a very interesting study done a few years back. It used to be that doctors never recommended that young children get the flu shot, and they'd focus primarily on the elderly population. However, in spite of assiduous efforts to vaccinate every person over the age of 60, the US still had an unacceptably high rate of flu deaths among the elderly.

Then a researcher looked at Japan's approach to the flu. In Japan, the big push is to vaccinate the youngsters, and they try to get all the kids under the age of 5. And the funny thing was that the death rate from influenza among Japan's elderly population was much, much lower than the United States' was.

The conclusion was that the primary vector for spreading influenza is children. If you can minimize the spread among the kids, the rest of the population benefits as much as the kids do themselves.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:05 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I don't know why and nobody has ever been able to explain why, but when I get the shot I'm sick for weeks at a time. When I don't get the shot I'm fine, and IF I do get sick, I'm only down for a couple of days. For me it's a simple math problem..... sick for weeks or for a couple of days.
Me, too! And everyone thinks you are crazy if you say that. I don't get the shot because of how sick I became within 24 hours the last time I did.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:15 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,719 times
I am required to get one as a health care provider, but am exempted because I am allergic to Thimerisol (the mercury-based preservative in flu-shots). In Alaska, anyway, the shots still use the mercury preservative. My only other option was live virus sniffed up my nose- NO thanks. I know that the main purpose in Health Care people is to protect patients, but I have to draw the line with mercury containing vaccines- not willing to take on the allergic reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness