U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do You Get An Annual Flu Shot?
Get one every year like clockwork! 21 29.17%
Hit or Miss! Sometimes I do. Sometimes not. 6 8.33%
Usually I do, but not always 1 1.39%
Don't get one because I think they may be harmful! 31 43.06%
Don't get one because I hate shot! (This would be my husband!) 3 4.17%
Other, please post 8 11.11%
WHO wants to know???!!! 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 AM
 
7,079 posts, read 33,727,881 times
Reputation: 4005

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I just got my first flu shot last week....good grief now I am sorry I got that. I almost never am sick. I volunteered on a life squad and taught school so I was around enough sick people I built up resistance I think. My husband talked me into it this year, since I am almost 60 and he is 66, but I may not get another one. I had no idea it had egg in it which I am allergic to...yikes. I didn't get a reaction but I sure won't be getting one again.
It's standard practice to have patients sign a document stating that they realize that the vaccine is derived from egg...and that if you're allergic you shouldn't have the vaccine. Did you not get such a document to read and sign?


Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Driftwoodpoint, if I'm not mistaken, I think some vaccines are cultured on the embryo of an egg.

As far as adding egg to the mix, that was just part of the spoof in that video .. I think.
Yes, the egg is used to grow the virus. The virus is then KILLED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
I am required to get one as a health care provider, but am exempted because I am allergic to Thimerisol (the mercury-based preservative in flu-shots). In Alaska, anyway, the shots still use the mercury preservative. My only other option was live virus sniffed up my nose- NO thanks. I know that the main purpose in Health Care people is to protect patients, but I have to draw the line with mercury containing vaccines- not willing to take on the allergic reaction.
The virus in FluMist is attenuated. It does not cause influenza. FluMist does not expose patients to virus capable of causing illness. The virus still has the surface antigens to which the body makes the infection fighting antibodies, but it does NOT cause any illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2008, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
4,751 posts, read 12,042,562 times
Reputation: 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
The virus still has the surface antigens to which the body makes the infection fighting antibodies, but it does NOT cause any illness.
It may not DIRECTLY cause illness, but after I became so ill after getting the vaccine, I called the clinic and they said that the vaccine temporarily lessened my body's ability to fight off whatever illness I might have been on the verge of getting. If I hadn't gotten the vaccine, I might have been able to fight it off.

Since that was the SECOND time that happened to me within several years, I've been reluctant to get the vaccine again. I haven't caught the flu in the years I've skipped the vaccine. I just try extra hard to get enough sleep, manage stress, wash my hands frequently, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2008, 06:26 AM
 
833 posts, read 4,369,988 times
Reputation: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Me, too! And everyone thinks you are crazy if you say that. I don't get the shot because of how sick I became within 24 hours the last time I did.
Me, too! I received a flu shot last Monday and by Monday night I had cold symptoms. Runny nose, stuffy head, coughing, achy. It's been a week since my shot and my symptoms are worse. The only reason I wanted to get it was because I had pneumonia three years ago and was sick for about three months. It was awful. I think I've gotten the flu shot 2-3 times in my life. I do it hit or miss. Next year I doubt I'll get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2008, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Orlando
8,181 posts, read 16,155,849 times
Reputation: 49730
I've gotten one for years and have never had a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2008, 08:59 AM
 
3,868 posts, read 7,420,264 times
Reputation: 3274
It's all a big scam by big Pharma. Do not under any circumstances get a flu shot! If you eat reasonably healthy you will not get the flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2008, 09:10 AM
 
4,618 posts, read 10,497,588 times
Reputation: 10291
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
It's all a big scam by big Pharma. Do not under any circumstances get a flu shot! If you eat reasonably healthy you will not get the flu.
Get out the tin foil hats while you are at it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 AM
 
4,618 posts, read 10,497,588 times
Reputation: 10291
Here's a timely article from Parent's via CNN since most of what gets posted in this forum on vaccines falls under the umbrella of "fiction"

Vaccines: Separating fact from fiction - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2008, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Texas
8,668 posts, read 19,914,691 times
Reputation: 21277
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Here's a timely article from Parent's via CNN since most of what gets posted in this forum on vaccines falls under the umbrella of "fiction"

Vaccines: Separating fact from fiction - CNN.com
Thanks for posting the link. It's a good article and does address most of the vaccine concerns. I 'm not totally convinced, but he does make a good case. Good info provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2008, 09:34 AM
 
2,838 posts, read 8,843,441 times
Reputation: 2857
The article was well-written, and it does not show parents being concerned about "fiction." There are valid concerns brought up in the article itself. Dr. Sears says in the article that he is concerned about the lack of studies on the effects of aluminum in babies. I would not classify that fear as worrying about something fictional. The doctor at the children's hospital also concedes that most children recover from chicken pox just fine. Of course parents whose kids have bad reactions to chicken pox hoped it wouldn't happen to them... just as the parents of children whose kids have bad reactions to the vaccine hoped it wouldn't happen to them. People who forego the flu vaccine hope that they will not die of the flu. People who HAVE the flu vaccine hope that they don't have a bad reaction to the vaccine. All we can do is make an informed decision without bullying and scare tactics from either "side" of the issue. For someone who is allergic to eggs to not be informed that there are valid concerns about the vaccine being cultured on eggs is obviously NOT able to make an informed decision. These types of errors, mistakes, and omissions are not acceptable, IMO, but they also are fairly common. Everyone needs to research these issues on their own BEFORE rolling up their sleeve and accepting the doctor's assurance that "oh yeah, it's safe, it will only pinch for a second."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2008, 09:49 AM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,115 posts, read 10,031,894 times
Reputation: 4133
Never have gotten a flu shot and never had the flu. However I did have co-workers who got the flu - shot and the flu, so has my husband. Making sure my immune system is in top shape is a much better insurance against the flu.
__________________
The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. ~Henry David Thoreau


forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top