Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 09:46 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I started a thread about being overweight and unhealthy and quite a debate got started. One big point that many were making was that it is difficult for many who are on a strict budget to find healthy food options. Some pointed out that in poorer areas, inexpensive, quality food is more limited in the grocery stores.

Another point made was that not everyone is Julia Child in the kitchen and need some help.

If you make a dish that you are fond of, please share with us. If you can give an approx. idea of the cost or calories also, that would be great.

Remember the keywords......Inexpensive and Healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 11:11 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Talking Consider this..........

HEALTHY food is not expensive ! and if it is...... well, even if it is....... aren't you worth it?

Expensive food is: soda pop, cookies, cake, donuts, deli-meats, deli preparations, frozen dinners, red meat, bottled juice, candy, anything processed in a box, etc. Junk-food, fast food is expensive!! Junk food is expensive in dollars and in the cost of your medical care from the results of bad choices.

If you want to save money and live frugally healthy....... consider saving your money on other non-essential items (not on fresh food). Save money by not buying alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, starbucks coffee, eating out at fast-food restaurants, designer clothing, large screen TVs, etc.

What I'm trying to say is to spend your $$$ on fresh, healthy, high-quality food, fresh fruit & veggies, fresh fish, etc. and save your $$$ on the non-life-sustaining frivilous items.

My cooking tips is this..... K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) ! Fresh salads, poached fish, poached chicken breast, baked sweet potato, steamed fresh veggies. FRESH FOOD tastes yummy ... you don't need to mask its flavor with anything other than a dash of s & p. I'm a very lazy cook but I eat well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness