Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:48 AM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
My husband has extensive medical problems. He's on tons of medications multiple times a day. His health just continues to deteriorate.

Don't get me wrong. I don't expect some miracle cure to come along and make him better and have him go back to tackling and wrestling bad guys 4 nights a week and hauling them off to jail. But I would like to change his 'life style' so that the heart attacks and strokes stop and possibly by changing his diet and exercise habits (he has none) get him off at least some of the medication.

I took the first step by banning him from grocery shopping. I know, I'm treating him like a child. But I came home from work last week to find him passed out in the bathroom. He'd barely eaten all day, but what he did eat was doughnuts and potato chips.

He's a big guy to start with - 6'4" and over 200 pounds. But he does no activity or exercise at all anymore. So, he needs something to change before his life style kills him.

So, I was listening to Dr Asa Andrews on the radio on the way home from work the other night. I don't know much about how foods and all react in the body, so I have no clue if he's giving good advice or if he's just a quack. Obviously he's telling people to eat healthy and move, so that's good even if he is a quack. Aside from that, does anyone have an opinion on this guy? If he's giving good advice I'm going to buy his book and get hubby some of the vitamins and such that he recommends. I also have him taking the GSD rescue dog that we have for a walk a couple times a day.

So, Dr Asa Andrews; advice, opinions, critics??
Quacks like the AFLAC duck!

Here on his legal difficulties:

Dr. Asa Andrew sells health and hope at a steep price. Behind the scenes, however, the man’s practice may not match what he preaches. | Cover Story | Nashville Scene

Dr. Asa Andrew, health care guru, TV and radio personality, runs afoul of the Tennessee Department of Health | Features | Nashville Scene

http://www.nashvillescene.com/images...drew-noc_1.pdf

The result of the board action is not yet available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 03:36 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Those are the things I'd been finding on line too. That's why I asked. Glad I'm not the only one that was seeing that.

I think the basic principal - eat healthy and get some exercise - are obviously good ideas. And we're moving that way............slowly. Just didn't know if there was any more truth to his supplements and such. I've heard him telling people with cancer that if they change the way they eat, their cells will be re-born cancer free in 30 or 45 days or something. I'm sure they do reproduce that frequently, but couldn't imagine that's the cure for cancer and no other doctor on the planet had discovered that.
I don't think eating right and exercising is a bad thing, but I also don't believe it will give you one more moment of good health or life. Of course, I'm a good, hard-shelled Southern Baptist who believes our future is in God's hands, not ours, so you may disagree if you like.

To me, any promises of future benefits is based upon us even having a future, which none of us know for sure. All those health guru's, like Andrews, are just selling better odds, that's all. I would no more follow their advice than I would someone who promises to teach me how to get better odds at the slot machine.

However, that doesn't mean I don't avoid prepackaged foods and flat refuse to take preventative medicines of any kind. I'm convinced those things DO poison your body and that's not a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness