Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 03:48 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times

Advertisements

In highschool I'm pretty sure I had 20/20 when tested in the nurse's office. In the past couple of years and way before that I've been in front of the computer a lot. I can still make out words on the television when watching the TV GUide channel, but I tend to stress my eyes and even try turning my head up or down to get a better focus to read the words.

I don't think I need glasses but my brother-in-law definitely has sharper vision than me, he recently had laser surgury for his eyes. Are my eyes dry or something? Any special foods or habits I should change? I've seen this screen that people put over their monitor to protect their eyes, I wonder if they work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 04:17 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
You really need to have your eyes tested regularly. There are a lot of things that can go wrong that have nothing to do with visual acuity. JMHO, speaking as one who's been nearsighted since second grade, has mild glaucoma, cataracts removed from both eyes before my mid-40s, and now has other non-remediable vision problems.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,847,281 times
Sounds like you need glasses to me. You shouldn't have to do anything special to "get a better focus" to read. It should be automatic for you. I go to the eye doctor once a year and believe me--my eyes change every year. If I did not update their prescription it would be dangerous for me to drive and it would be a royal pain to live with that. I can tell when my vision has gotten a little bit worse; it sounds like that's your situation.

Plus, as the previous poster mentioned, your eye doctor will test you for many other issues besides your ability to read a chart. There can be a lot going on with your eyes that you have no clue about right now. It's best for you to go and get checked out. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2009, 04:54 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,171,437 times
Time to go see the eye doctor.
You sound like you are young and can't accept the fact that maybe you need corrective lenses.
My grandaughter is only 8 yrs old and wears glasses.
It all depends on the person, genetic's, etc.
Don't be afraid to take care of yourself and your needs. It wont get better on it's own.
I was 45 yrs old before I needed glasses. Some of my friends were 25 when they needed them.
Take care of your vision.
Don't put off things that give you quaility of life.
You will get used to it and it won't change your friends perceptions of you. You will still be just yourself.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
When you hit mid-40s, the vision really starts to go.

Seeing close up starts to become troublesome. For example, I can't thread a needle anymore.

But a stigmatism doesn't really change over time.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
thanks for the info. i'll have them looked at, or rather.. they will be looked at,. , or furthermore - I will see that they find themselves lookin into a vision professional
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness