Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:42 PM

161 posts, read 418,087 times

Advertisements

and if you do-
what do you do about not wantin to go crazy with it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 03:47 AM

76 posts, read 265,263 times
are you under any sort of physician care now? many patients suffer from FMS but find there are either not enough answers out there or too many(all pointing in different directions!). I have seen many different treatment modalities yield great results, but the treatments themselves were all very different. There was a study done at....a university in Washington state that showed the effects of high oxidation and high NO,possibly causing high perioxinitrates. There may be many causes for this, but it is sometimes a place to start. Food allergies (undiagnosed usually, such as IgG reactions) may also play a role.
talk to your doctor or healthcare provider about some of the causes, and see what lifestyle modifications they suggest as well as what treatment they suggest.
other than that, a more general answer would be... eat plenty of fruit and veggies, get enough rest, learn to destress, reduce processed foods, sugar, and I would even reduce meats to a more moderate level.
i hope that helps.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:32 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesheba View Post
and if you do-
what do you do about not wantin to go crazy with it???
too late lost my battle with the fibro a long time ago.
doctors aren't much help with fibro, since they rarely knows what causes it in the first place. Do your research. Everyone cause or reason and even reaction to any treatment differs greatly.
Start with WebMD and go on from their. My fibro is complicated with strange form of anemia and an wonderful undiagnosed infection and a herniated disc in my lower back.
I would try to stick to a more natural diet. Push organic if and when you can remind yourself; Its just pain it won't kill me. and push through it.
Note when weather effects you and keep tabs on the weather. Right now it is cold and rainy here and I am in mizzery. But I am happy that it has rained so the pain isn't to bad. I just rest a lot, use heat pads to stay warm and read books or nap. If it gets really bad a nice hot bath works wonders for me.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,987 times
I am recently diagnosed with FMS however my PCP thinks after looking at my records of the last 11 years I may have had it much longer. I have heard that there are varying degrees and some people work with FMS. I have not been able to work due to the unpredictability and severity of the pain (I call them the SCREAMIN MEAMIES) along with the lack of sleep (can we say exahusted?) among other symptoms. I am now begining the disability dance and would love any advice anyone that has walked a mile in these cruel shoes can give. Anyone that thinks this is not a real thing is crazy and should feel blessed that they do not have it. I am very grateful because I feel it can always be worse. I use heating pads, soaking in hot baths, whirlpool tubs, massage thereapy and pain meds (sparingly). It is not life threatening as my PCP said but it is (and I have come to see) life altering. I went from working out 6 days per week and always on the go - my kids had to jog to keep up with me. Known as tigger for all my bouncy energy - to now walking like a little old lady (or Tim Conway when he is the old man), staying warm all the time, getting out of breath just walking down my hall. My life is so different from what it used to be....what I call my past life. Luckily I am blessed with very understanding family and friends which makes all the difference. Now if I can just figure out how to pay my bills and not take 2 yrs to get my dissability. Any suggestions?

Old 04-21-2009, 04:23 PM

466 posts, read 928,336 times
I believe that the cause of FMS is directly caused by Aspartame and Monosodium Glutimate.

Doctors love this. It keeps them in business

Old 04-24-2009, 05:22 PM

49 posts, read 420,238 times
what is fibromialga and what are the symptoms??

Old 04-24-2009, 05:32 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,668 times
I have it. I take Cymbalta 30mg once a day, which prevents morning stiffness for me. It also helps with the severity of pain, and the concentration problems I used to have. I also switched to a mostly organic diet, and avoid MSG and artificial sweeteners...any food additives for that matter. The sweeteners always make my pain worse and give me headaches...other additives make me dizzy. I stay away from corn syrup as well. I drink coffee once or twice a day, and surprisingly the caffeine is a real help. Eating regularly, healthfully, and balanced does more than you could imagine.

It's a pain, and I was out of work for almost a year, but I manage. I think the biggest rut you'll get into is self-pity and "why me." It's hard not to, with most people thinking you're nuts.

Massages help a great deal as well. My husband got trained so that he could give me them when I need, but most insurances cover it as well. A heating pad is your best friend.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:23 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,200 times
Here is the link to a thread that may have answers for you.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...romyalgia.html

Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I've had fibromyalgia for about a year. It took them that long to diagnosis it because they thought the symptoms were from my RA. Apparently those with RA have a tendency for fibromyalgia.

I had extreme pain in feet, hands and back, horrible brain fog and fatigue.

I take a low dose of cymbalta and a muscle relaxant.

It was like getting my whole life back.

Problem is the cymbalta cause SUCH dry mouth and throat that I cough continuously.

I was wondering if any one had experience with lyrica or savella? And what they experienced in side-effects?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,787,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've had fibromyalgia for about a year. It took them that long to diagnosis it because they thought the symptoms were from my RA. Apparently those with RA have a tendency for fibromyalgia.

I had extreme pain in feet, hands and back, horrible brain fog and fatigue.

I take a low dose of cymbalta and a muscle relaxant.

It was like getting my whole life back.

Problem is the cymbalta cause SUCH dry mouth and throat that I cough continuously.

I was wondering if any one had experience with lyrica or savella? And what they experienced in side-effects?

my dad has it and was diagnosed about 12 years ago. He took Lyrica for about 3 years but his insurance via Medicare wanted to stop paying for the Lyrica so he had to change to Gabapentin.
The Lyrica worked very well-at first. Gave him bouts of euphoria;which I think was due to his pain level being lowered. He did gain a LOT of weight. Since stopping the Lyrica he has lost over 40 pounds (if that gives you an idea how much weight it can cause one to gain) Lyrica seems to be quite expensive and I,for one, don't believe meds ever have to cost that much.
He's now taking Flexeril in addition to the Gabapentin.
He's been advised to swim laps at least a couple times a week.
Sorry, not sure exactly what else as he lives in a different state.
I could ask him any specific questions you might have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness