Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:42 PM

349 posts, read 863,160 times

Advertisements

I recently went to a psychologist for some help. I went to her home- which she works out of. My insurance covers it but I have a $50 copay. The session starts out normally- I tell her almost everything that is an issue in my life, then when time was up, she asked if I was serious about counseling and I said yes, but I didn't know if I could afford $50 a week. She asked me what kind of car me and my husband drive and said that sometimes people come to her with 2009 vehicles and say they can't afford to pay for her services. I guess our 2 cars passed her test. She offered a trade- which was me come to her house for 2 hours every Sunday to pull weeds. I would be there with another client who is also in a trade agreement and I was told that I could not discuss our trade agreement with her and she was very adamant about it. She also said that we went over the time so I owe her more than the $50 (so I think this Sunday was to pay for the overage). I am supposed to watch the clock to make sure we don't go over the time. (her clock is some kind of really small round painting without numbers, located above the door - not that I can't read it, but shouldn't it be clear what time it is?) Is this as crazy as it sounds?

Last edited by bblaine; 07-17-2009 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 09:04 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post
I recently went to a psychologist for some help. I went to her home- which she works out of. My insurance covers it but I have a $50 copay. The session starts out normally- I tell her almost everything that is an issue in my life, then when time was up, she asked if I was serious about counseling and I said yes, but I didn't know if I could afford $50 a week. She asked me what kind of car me and my husband drive and said that sometimes people come to her with 2009 vehicles and say they can't afford to pay for her services. I guess our 2 cars passed her test. She offered a trade- which was me come to her house for 2 hours every Sunday to pull weeds. I would be there with another client who is also in a trade agreement and I was told that I could not discuss our trade agreement with her and she was very adamant about it. She also said that we went over the time so I owe her more than the $50 (so I think this Sunday was to pay for the overage). I am supposed to watch the clock to make sure we don't go over the time. (her clock is some kind of really small round painting without numbers, located above the door - not that I can't read it, but shouldn't it be clear what time it is?) Is this as crazy as it sounds?

Is this for real? I think the weird part started when you went to the psychologist's HOUSE.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:06 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Is this woman a professional? Is it even legal for you to do things for her to make up that difference in price? I have never heard anything like this.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
it's different,for sure.
Kinda nice to go back to the trade and barter system
I would rather do lawn work for my doc than pay the $375.00 per office visit. Now that's nuts

Old 07-17-2009, 11:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
NO, bartering of any kind is absolutely prohibited by the Ethics Code for Psychologists. No wonder she didn't want you talking about it - she could be brought up on charges before the Texas State Board.

Run, not walk, away from her. Anyone that unethical may well be doing unproven therapy. Her focus on money is demeaning to the profession (I am a clinical psychologist).

Old 07-18-2009, 05:02 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
I would call the state board to report this and find someone else ASAP.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:18 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,023,319 times
I would also report this. it is HER job to keep track of time, like any other profession. let us know what you decide to do!

Old 07-18-2009, 07:22 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Regardless of her situation, it doesn't appear that you are getting the help you looked for from her. Time to move on.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:26 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
This is completely unethical and should be reported to your state board of licensing. It is not appropriate for patients to meet, unless in a group therapy session, and even MORE inappropriate for this woman to suggest this bartering 'system.'

Old 07-18-2009, 08:10 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
I recently went to a psychologist for some help. I went to her home- which she works out of. My insurance covers it but I have a $50 copay.
$50 is actually not bad..

Quote:
The session starts out normally- I tell her almost everything that is an issue in my life, then when time was up, she asked if I was serious about counseling and I said yes, but I didn't know if I could afford $50 a week. She asked me what kind of car me and my husband drive and said that sometimes people come to her with 2009 vehicles and say they can't afford to pay for her services. I guess our 2 cars passed her test. She offered a trade- which was me come to her house for 2 hours every Sunday to pull weeds. I would be there with another client who is also in a trade agreement and I was told that I could not discuss our trade agreement with her and she was very adamant about it.
I imagine it was your 1st session?
If she's like this with just listening, forget it.

As far as bartering; I don't really have a problem with it but as others say it's probably against ethics. If I was able to barter like that would I do it, probably as long as I wouldn't get into any legal trouble.

I agree with DreamWeavin, normally sessions are a lot more expensive. What is charged per session is nuts. I bet if you look at your insurance receipt you'll see she charges high prices too.

Quote:
She also said that we went over the time so I owe her more than the $50 (so I think this Sunday was to pay for the overage). I am supposed to watch the clock to make sure we don't go over the time. (her clock is some kind of really small round painting without numbers, located above the door - not that I can't read it, but shouldn't it be clear what time it is?) Is this as crazy as it sounds?
IMO, time should be her job. What I've seen is that 45 minutes is usually the norm for patients not to be backed up in the waiting room. Now, not all are like this; it was mostly the ones dealing with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness