Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:51 PM

307 posts, read 1,223,287 times

Advertisements

I had my blood work done and couldn't get a copy of the results because he wanted to see me. I refused to see him until I see my result. I asked them to mail me the copy of result. They refused UNLESS I see the doctor. Mod cut: lanugage What should I do?

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-07-2009 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Call the state med assoc and complain.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:36 PM

307 posts, read 1,223,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Call the state med assoc and complain.
what's the nbr?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,416,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii View Post
I had my blood work done and couldn't get a copy of the results because he wanted to see me. I refused to see him until I see my result. I asked them to mail me the copy of result. They refused UNLESS I see the doctor. WTF? What should I do?
To just mail a patient lab results without an explanation of the the results would be substandard medical care. I don't blame your doctor. He/She is acting in your best interest. You should go see your doctor for an explanation of your results.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii View Post
what's the nbr?
No clue. Google it.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
They are not going to mail it anyway because of the privacy laws. I had a doctor that would make me come in for my results and I could not afford to keep doing that and it also pi**ed me off. What I did was went to the hospital lab and had my work done, when the results were ready I went in and signed a couple of papers and they gave me a copy at the hospital.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
What you want the doctor to do is deliver poor medical care. I worked in a public hospital where most of my patients didn't pay and I, too, would insist that they come in for all their test results so that I could explain what they meant, EVEN IF THEY WERE NORMAL. Sorry, but I agree with the doctor.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:47 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,579,727 times
My doctor's nurse always calls me the next day with my results and instructions from the doctor if they are needed. Every doctor I see does that.

Then the next time I go in, I ask for a copy of my results and they gladly give it to me. The next doctor I see, I take that folder for them to copy and they are SO happy I do that.

I even have my LifeLine screening in there that I had done. One doctor said it was a waste of money and another was very impressed that I had it done. I also have the results of my company physical in there with all those labs.

I suggest everyone get a copy of everything to keep for yourself and take to every doctor you see. (saves them a lot of time)

See Health Screening | Life Line Screening

Old 08-07-2009, 12:21 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,039,482 times
In conjunction with an annual health fair, a regional hospital offers blood testing at reduced rates (metabolic panel, PSA, lipid profile). The results are mailed a few days later and the data includes normal ranges. Some county health districts offer blood testing, and some areas have private labs. Walmart even sells a $9 A1c (blood sugar) test kit for mail-in processing. Can't really blame doctors for wanting to generate office consultation fees however.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,416,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
In conjunction with an annual health fair, a regional hospital offers blood testing at reduced rates (metabolic panel, PSA, lipid profile). The results are mailed a few days later and the data includes normal ranges. Some county health districts offer blood testing, and some areas have private labs. Walmart even sells a $9 A1c (blood sugar) test kit for mail-in processing. Can't really blame doctors for wanting to generate office consultation fees however.
Bringing patients in for lab results is not about generating money. It is about the responsibility of a doctor to make sure the patient understands all the results and the recommendations. As far as doctors having employees call patients with lab results, that may be fine if all is normal and the doctor has no recommendations. If there are abnormals and the doctor has specific recommendations, that should never come from an employee who is not a clinician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness