Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:52 AM

466 posts, read 928,336 times

Advertisements

Soybeans Can Damage Your Health

What are your thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I didn't read the article, but I think too much of anything can be bad. My son was allergic to milk and he drank soy formula for the first year. The doctor switched him to milk after his first birthday because the doctor said being on soy for too long can cause an allergy to soy.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 AM

862 posts, read 3,548,571 times
The processed soy the vast majority of Americans consume is definitely bad news. Asians traditionally consume soy as a condiment with meals AND they consume it properly by fermenting it (tempeh and miso). Fermenting it neutralizes its large amount of phytic acid (which prevents absorption of important minerals) and it's goiter inducing properties. Soy never should be used as a meat replacement. Soy protein and animal protein are NOT identical as far as meeting the body's need for protein. Unfortunately due to the large domestic soybean industry, soy is in an enormously common product in foods and we wonder why we have such a large amount of thyroid problems here. If you want to know the real deal, this book is an education on the topic:

Amazon.com: The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food: Kaayla T. Daniel: Books

Old 04-28-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
The processed soy the vast majority of Americans consume is definitely bad news. Asians traditionally consume soy as a condiment with meals AND they consume it properly by fermenting it (tempeh and miso). Fermenting it neutralizes its large amount of phytic acid (which prevents absorption of important minerals) and it's goiter inducing properties. Soy never should be used as a meat replacement. Soy protein and animal protein are NOT identical as far as meeting the body's need for protein. Unfortunately due to the large domestic soybean industry, soy is in an enormously common product in foods and we wonder why we have such a large amount of thyroid problems here. If you want to know the real deal, this book is an education on the topic:

Amazon.com: The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food: Kaayla T. Daniel: Books

Splendid ! ! !

good post

Old 04-28-2009, 07:37 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
As far as whether it's good or bad etc.. i don't know ..... but i do know that most of us males in the bodybuilding and weight lifting field wont touch that crap as i'm not putting something that's going to possibly ''feminize'' us with it's plant estrogens.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
As far as whether it's good or bad etc.. i don't know ..... but i do know that most of us males in the bodybuilding and weight lifting field wont touch that crap as i'm not putting something that's going to possibly ''feminize'' us with it's plant estrogens.

Boobs are great on women.................... not good on men.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post

Boobs are great on women.................... not good on men.
Been reading about this over the years in some of my bodybuilding magazines and although some of the science is debatable i'll follow the ...NO THANKS on soy advice as a proud muscular and NON Feminized male.

Now bring on Mike Tyson .

Old 04-28-2009, 08:24 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,603 times
There are two sides to the soy story but there is enough evidence out there to suggest soy is not healthy.

Soy, next to pastuerized dairy/gluten is one of the biggest food allergies in the US. They contain all types and anti-nutrients. All nuts/seeds contain anti-nutrients which is why I soak and sprout them.

Mosy soy is GM. Thats a whole other issue.

For fitness buffs soy and all vegetable proteins are inferioir for building muscle since they are not absorbed well. I won't even get into the processing of soy protein.

Food manufacturers love soy, not because its healthy but because its cheap!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:31 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
There are two sides to the soy story but there is enough evidence out there to suggest soy is not healthy.

Soy, next to pastuerized dairy/gluten is one of the biggest food allergies in the US. They contain all types and anti-nutrients. All nuts/seeds contain anti-nutrients which is why I soak and sprout them.

Mosy soy is GM. Thats a whole other issue.

For fitness buffs soy and all vegetable proteins are inferioir for building muscle since they are not absorbed well. I won't even get into the processing of soy protein.

Food manufacturers love soy, not because its healthy but because its cheap!
I cant believe this, I thought I would never see the day.
But finally we can agree with something.
Many, many studies have shown that Soy products has negative effect on men, because it has estrogen. And is funny because in the 90's soy product was the holy grail for vegetarians.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
I cant believe this, I thought I would never see the day.
But finally we can agree with something.
Many, many studies have shown that Soy products has negative effect on men, because it has estrogen. And is funny because in the 90's soy product was the holy grail for vegetarians.
Well hey you cant be wrong all of the time ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness