Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times

Advertisements

My BIL has a stomach ulcer. He has not gone to the doctors and has had it for a few weeks now. Can it get worse? Can somebody whose had experience with this tell me about it? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 02:29 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
My BIL has a stomach ulcer. He has not gone to the doctors and has had it for a few weeks now. Can it get worse? Can somebody whose had experience with this tell me about it? Thanks
If he hasn't gone to the doctor how does he know he has an ulcer? He really should go to a doctor for a diagnosis, but here's some infor for you to use to get him to go.

Ulcers can be caused by several things but around 85%-90% of ulcers are caused by a bacteria (H-Pylori) which require a long period of anitbiotics to treat. If left untreated not only can the ulcer itself become life threatening (internal bleeding, sepsis) but studies show that the majority of stomach cancers can be linked back to the presence of H-Pylori.

Now if he doesn't have the bacteria, he can still have an ulcer caused by other forms of gastritis from overproduction of acid or from medications that wear away at the stomach lining (such as NSAIDS) and would still require treatment to heal the stomach lining. If the lining of the stomach is not healed again you open yourself up to internal bleeding or infection once again.

So make him go to the doctor.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the advice Irishmom. We're pretty sure it's an ulcer because he has all the symptoms that we've read about. Severe pain in his abdomen and he gets tons of acid reflux. I'm a little worried about him because it's actually been more like one or two months he's gone.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:30 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Thanks for the advice Irishmom. We're pretty sure it's an ulcer because he has all the symptoms that we've read about. Severe pain in his abdomen and he gets tons of acid reflux. I'm a little worried about him because it's actually been more like one or two months he's gone.
Although I'm sure the symptoms he is having can be attributed to an ulcer they can also be attributed to other things as well. I strongly urge you or whoever is in the position to force him to go to the doctor!! In the meantime he may get some relief from Prilosec...it's over the counter. But it won't cure him if he produces too much acid or has H-pylori or other medical cause that goes undiagnosed, it will however treat NSAID symptoms assuming he stops using them as well. So a proper diagnosis is really necessary for long term health.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:04 PM

Thanks, unfortunately me and my husband don't seem to have a whole lotta say when it comes to his decisions (well me none) I know my husband is trying but he is a grown man. I just hope something really bad hasn't happened already. Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-06-2007, 02:34 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
And if the pain is severe and is in the lower right abdomen, it could be the appendix. tell him to see a doctor and get checked out.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:30 AM

That's true. I myself had appendicitis and it's definatley not that. You can't go a whole month or so without doing anything with that.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:02 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,904 times
He really does need to see a doctor-these symptoms could also be related to gallbladder problems, or a hiatal hernia or any combination of gastro-intestinal disorders. Without correct testing and diagnosis, there is no way of knowing. Is he doctor-phobic, or are finances a problem, or does he just like to complain and get sympathy? Tell him you are worried about him, but getting tired of all the complaints when it seems he won't do anything about it.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Thanks fireball. He's actually been in kinda denial I think that somethin is really wrong. That's part of it but it's also financial problems. But you can't put a price on your health! I mean when I had my app. out we didn't have insurance but it's something that needs to be done. Take care of your health first and then worry about finances later. My husband did talk to him last night about it and he knows he has to go and I think he will. He better!

Old 05-06-2007, 08:20 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
As everyone else said, the stubborn BIL is just asking for trouble by avoiding a simple doctor visit. I've been to quite a few funerals in the past few years of men in my age bracket (50s). Seems like most of those funerals could have been avoided if the guys would have quit trying to be in denial of a pain or health problem that doesn't go away after a few days on its own. Why so many grown men are afraid of a simple doctor visit is beyond me.
First rule with ulcers is to immediately cut out coffee, carbonated sodas, real spicy foods and acidic foods like tomato sauces. Cut out junk food too. Eat food that is fairly healthy and fairly easy to digest. Lots of fruit and veggies, whole grains, fish. But get BIL to the doc real soon. It might require an endoscopy to determine what's going on inside that is causing the pain. They put patient under light anasthesia and put a tube down the throat to look into the stomach for ulcer problems. It's just like taking a short nap, nothing to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness