Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:48 PM

36,421 posts, read 16,032,420 times

Advertisements

My Dad is 80 and for some reason, seems to be worried about the flu. He and I have both gotten flu shots for the past several years.

He is going to a Knife Show, he is a custom knifemaker, in Kentucky in a couple of weeks. He was asking me about hand sanitizer and what the name was
I said you mean "Purell"? He wants to get some to put on the table at the show.

This man is on no medication, only been in the hospital for a hernia and a prostrate procedure. He is on no medication and can out-work me outside easily.

Will the hand sanitizer help.? There will be hundreds of people touching his knives and shaking his hand and close contact for discussions.

He also seems to be concerned about H1N1 this year and about me getting vaccinated as I work with children and adults with disabilities. I am thinking he will get H1N1 when it becomes available for his age group, I, however am skeptical about this particular vaccine.

Any suggestions? He is not around a lot of people very often and I have never heard him talk about this stuff before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:40 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Yeah, it kills germs.
I use it ... not Purell but something like it that's a bit more gentle.
Of course, you can't use Purell every single time you shake a hand or touch something so the common sense practice is to simply keep your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth while you're out and about ... when you're hands are not clean.
Also, with these hand sanitizers i just use them on the insides of my hands ... it's to have clean hands for when they come into contact with eyes, nose, mouth and there's no need to dry the heck out of the back of your hands which is what that stuff does.
It's pretty harsh.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Yeah, it kills germs.
I use it ... not Purell but something like it that's a bit more gentle.
Of course, you can't use Purell every single time you shake a hand or touch something so the common sense practice is to simply keep your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth while you're out and about ... when you're hands are not clean.
Also, with these hand sanitizers i just use them on the insides of my hands ... it's to have clean hands for when they come into contact with eyes, nose, mouth and there's no need to dry the heck out of the back of your hands which is what that stuff does.
It's pretty harsh.

Thanks, I will give Dad some tips for his trip!!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
In a place where he may be shaking hands, and/or handling knives that others have just handled, what he really needs to be aware of is to not put his hands near his face, such as scratch his nose, rub an eye, etc. The skin on his hand will offer protection, but will also be a carrier to his mouth, nose, or eyes if not washed or hand sanitizer used.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:40 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,507 times
I hope it is, I have been using the heck out of it lately.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I will remind him of the mouth to face thing, will tell my brother too,who is going with him!!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
There are all natural hand sanitizers that are just as effective and don't ANTIbacteria the heck out of your hands.

We use CleanWell. It kills just as well if not better than those chemical alchohol filled commercial jokes.

CleanWell

You can buy it at Target. They are pretty cheap.

The use of antibacterial soaps and sanitizers are just as bad as the overuse of antibiotics. You are killing the GOOD bacteria on your hands made to fight off infection naturally. The use of them is no good. Use regular SOAP and hand sanitizers that are NOT ANTIBACTERIAL.

I like what another poster said. Don't put your hands on your mouth and eyes.

We just had a meeting with the staff and residents and resident's family's at our nursing home about the flu season coming up. 90% of our senior residents will not be getting any flu shot this year. Last year we were at a 70% but this year the we got the families more involved on the free seminars and workshops offered by our doctors.

One of the best pieces of advice our senior doctor recommended was to KEEP YOUR HANDS BELOW YOUR NECK and wash you hands with regular soap and water every chance you get for AT LEAST 20 seconds.

We have handwashing stations throughout the home and one on each floor in the halls.

Remember to use a paper towel when turning off and on the water and use it to open the bathroom door when finished in public restrooms. And ALWAYS wash your hands before you eat.

Simple dimple

Old 09-05-2009, 07:45 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
They need to be at least 60% minimum alcohol concentration to kill HARMFUL bacteria and viruses. We use Cal-Stat Plus.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:52 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
They need to be at least 60% minimum alcohol concentration to kill HARMFUL bacteria and viruses. We use Cal-Stat Plus.

Alcohol is not the only thing that kills harmful bacteria.

CleanWell has NO alcohol and kills MRSA/Staph WITHOUT chemicals or alcohol.

Alcohol dries your skin. It's not too good for kids either.

CleanWell

Old 09-05-2009, 08:01 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
Thanks...I will take my hospital grade stuff and use that. I trust it and have been using it and it works very nicely. And it kills a whole lot more then just MRSA and Staph...

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 09-06-2009 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: Stay on topic and don't get personal. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness