Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:18 PM

9 posts, read 29,967 times

Advertisements

I work in prevention and am trying to come up with a slogan that addresses HIV stigma. HIV stigma is caused by lack of information about HIV, belief that others are responsible for HIV and some culturally held beliefs. An example that has been overused is AIDS has no face?

Any ideas for short slogan are appreciated! thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I am so not creative, but good luck! So many people think HIV can only affect minorities, and working class people.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:36 PM

Very true Christina. Thanks for looking

Old 10-06-2009, 08:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
avoiding exposure to contagious disease is not discrimination.
although educating the public as to what can cause exposure is highly desirable.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
I have been thinking about this since your original post. And the timing is apropos since I am reading And the Band Played On.

Did you see the recent article about the CCR5 stem cell transplant that caused long-term suppression of HIV viral load? Here is the abstract NEJM -- Long-Term Control of HIV by CCR5 Delta32/Delta32 Stem-Cell Transplantation

I think part of the problem these days (besides the still on-going thinking that only certain people can have it) is there are a lot of people out there that think the drugs are so good that HIV is not that big of a deal. It still kills. Now that is short and kind of catchy but probably not what you are looking for.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 AM

but that is the idea. Complacency is no longer thinking HIV is serious. With drugs, there are many complications which makes it hard for an individual to have a normal life.

Stigma is caused by fear of the disease, not knowing how it is transmitted, or how it is to live with it, thinking the disease is a disease that only bad people get (babies get it, they are not bad) thinking its the person but not the disease that can give you HIV, its what you do that puts you at risk/ The fear and the judgemental attidues keeps us from talking about it which leads to higher stats.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:55 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
The equal-opportunity disease?

HIV: no one is immune. ? (which is true enough for your purposes because no one really knows if they have the gene mutation that prevents it and it is such an infinitesimally small percentage anyway who do).

Old 10-09-2009, 06:48 PM

very original equal opportunity disease, not sure how it will be perceived but the idea is unique..I intend to test the slogans with community members.. no one is immune..thats also the idea..but maybe using a simpler wording..

its what you do that can hurt you! no one is immune!

I wanted a catchy type slogan, not easy maybe one that rhymes...

thank you for your thoughts this helps

Old 10-09-2009, 06:53 PM

HIV is transmitted through sharing of bodily fluids, blood, semen and vaginal secretions through sex and shared needs, mother to her child. You cannot get HIV from sitting next to someone, eating food with them, swimming with them, from a toilet seat..That needs to be made clear. It is the lack of knowledge about how HIV is transmitted that causes fear that in turn causes stigma of people living with HIV

Old 10-09-2009, 09:13 PM

264 posts, read 819,607 times
HIV doesn't care who you are (along with pictures of people you don't normally think of having it..like babies, celebs, etc)

that's all I got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness