Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:26 PM

315 posts, read 776,504 times

Advertisements

I see lots of questions on the forum asking if anyone has had the Swine flu yet and how bad was it.

Well, I just had it and it was not the normal run of the mill flu, at least not for me. I feel this flu is potentially very dangerous and might just be a trial run for what is to come. It was deceiving and demanding in a strange way.

The thing notable for me, was how it wavered in the beginning before slamming into me like a freight train. I was tested later on in the process, and confirmed to have caught the swine flu.

1. The very first symptom I noticed was fatigue. The night before I knew something was up, I was very tired, but no fever or other symptom. I could feel that overly tired "Something might be coming" feeling.

2. I woke up sneezing and with a stuffy nose a light sore throat. No big deal. This lasted for 2 1/2 days and did not increase nor decrease in severity.

3. On the 4th day, mid day I got diarrhea. Bad diarrhea and it came out of nowhere. It came on so hard and fast, I missed the bathroom on my drive home. Gross, but fact. I knew something was up by now.

4. The 4th night the whole package came. Fever, chills, night sweats, more diarrhea, my lungs and nose stuffed up instantly. I mean in a matter of hours I went from clear to feeling like someone poured concrete down my sinus and into my lungs.

5. 5th day, I went to local clinic, weak, shaken, fever chills trouble breathing and was given a quick test, confirmed swine flu. I was given tamiflu.

6. 6th day was the worst, I was guzzling down flu medicine, decongestant and more. I felt like I was loosing the battle. The diarrea was weakening me and my lungs were tight and I was weezing. This night I broke into a burning fever and was so sick, I could not even muster up enough energy to go to the ER. I knew I should go, but was literally burning so bad, I felt like just dying and ending it. I actually did have some thoughts of death.

7. 7th day my fever broke and I began to feel better and figured the worst was over and it was.

8. Now still lingers a sore throat and sniffles. I am able to eat and drink.

This is not the normal flu. I fear if these keeps in circulation it will become more sever. Avoid this virus at all costs. I can see how anyone who is weak, or has other health issues could very easily die from this. It's horrible! I'm still sick, but getting better each day.

From my reading, due to my body having fought it and won, I should be immune to it. But if I had to do over, I would wear a surgical mask each time I went out of the home. I could careless what others would think. I did all the precautions and have absolutely no idea how or where I picked it up.

I fear this virus is going to continue to spread and circle the globe and worsen as it does. Something did not feel right about it to me. Just a sense I got, for whatever that is worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 08:49 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
That sounds horrible OP. I take a decongestant daily just for sinus problems; I'm interested to know if you normally suffer sinus/allergy symptoms. It maybe time for me to stock up on Mucinex if its that bad cause I don't want to get caught without it.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:55 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
good grief!! Sounds ghastly!! Hope you feel better soon!!!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times
this sounds like what we refer to as the 'ole timy flu' from years ago. DH and I had it at same time and it lasted as long as this, symptoms were about the same and fevers were very high.

I am glad to see you are finally over your bout with this ugly stuff. If I may, what age are you and what part of the US do you live in?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:25 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,843,475 times
my sons (and mine) was not as bad as the OP's. Son (12) was helping me all day sunday. He started complaining he was tired. Crawled into a recliner chair around 4pm and promptly fell asleep. Exhausted, right? when I went to wake him for dinner, he was burning up with fever. then the congestion kicked in the next day. Went to the docs on Tues, fever was 101, got Tamiflu. Fever stopped late Wed/early Thurs. No Diareah. congestion, but not horrible. I kept him out of school all week because a) we didn't want a relapse and b) felt he may still be contagious with the congestion.

We are in Virginia.

Oh, yes I had symptoms too, but I tested negative. I think it was just too early for them. I am about a day behind him. He tested positive.

shelly

Old 10-23-2009, 10:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
My daughter and her friends at college all had it. For her it came on about a week after what she thought was just a cold. There were a few days of feeling like she was getting better then BAM! It all came back PLUS a fever, achiness, tightness in her chest and a cough that lingered for over a week. No diarrhea that I know of.

This was NOT the sickest she has ever been, and it all went away without prescription meds, but I was worried for her.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My daughter and her friends at college all had it. For her it came on about a week after what she thought was just a cold. There were a few days of feeling like she was getting better then BAM! It all came back PLUS a fever, achiness, tightness in her chest and a cough that lingered for over a week. No diarrhea that I know of.

This was NOT the sickest she has ever been, and it all went away without prescription meds, but I was worried for her.
most people i've been around did not have the extreme symptoms and in fact wouldn't have thought they had the swine flu until they were told they did.
My concern anytime I get congestion is the chest congestion and OP said he felt as though he had cement in his lungs
I don't like the sound of that at all.

Glad most don't feel as bad as all that.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:34 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
sounds bad and IT IS. That's why the goverment has put such a strong emphasis on it. Now imagine if you had a history of asthma, bronchitis, emphysema or any other ailment. Imagine if you were pregnant, a child with a immune system not at 100% capacity. Just imagine. That's why it's so important to get this vaccine. There are so many IGNORANT and uneducated people out there waiting to be a statistic. They will die. And this is Gods way of controlling our population. Such a shame that many things can be prevented in life, but we are too egocentric to admit and seek help thinking we know better than the experts. Well, these people are in a sad sad predicament. I pity them. There is a person on the Miami Board that totally refuses on vaccinating her kids. Of course, there was no way I could get through her stubbornness. I hope her kids are ok and do not come down with it.

Protect yourselves !!! Flu season is going to peak soon and there will be many H1N1 deaths. Mark my words.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:01 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
With the new news on the availability of the H1N1 vaccine there are going to be many cases where it cannot be prevented and that is going to include high-risk individuals too.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I guess my son would have been considered high risk. He's had asthma since he was very young, and takes Singulair and Advair daily. He came down with H1N1 after leaving for college. Fortunately, or perhaps because he was taking the asthma meds already, he recovered without any major issues. He was given Tamiflu after being sick for almost a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness