Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:21 AM

6 posts, read 9,636 times

Advertisements

Hi

my wife has the following symptoms:

Dizzyness, pins and needles in arms and hands, excessive bleeding nose (about once a day). Mild headaches

I have no idea what it could be - doctors say its "panic " attacks but medications not helping either

any Ideas/suggestions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 08:06 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,964 times
these symptoms are so non-specific that it is impossible to give any kind of accurate diagnosis over the internet.

dizziness and pins and needles in the arms and hands are consistent with symptoms brought on by anxiety (specifically, hyperventilation), but then they could also be caused by many other things.

i would have thought the nosebleeds are coincidental, unless they are a trigger for the anxiety (i.e. bleeding from the nose triggering thoughts that there is some serious medical problem).

Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Simple question - has her blood pressure been checked regularly - espeically around the nosebleeds?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Simple question - has her blood pressure been checked regularly - espeically around the nosebleeds?
Historically she has had low blood pressure - which make sit a bit more confusing

Old 10-27-2009, 09:41 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Nosebleed - she could simply have a "bleeder" that needs to be cauterized or even tied off or removed. Until then, vaseline on the area may keep it soft enough to avoid cracking and bleeding. Some people need to live in a moist environment to avoid serious nosebleeds. My father was told to move out of New England (dry winters) or risk dying from his regular bleeds. Once he moved to an island in the middle of a river in Florida (no joke) his bleeds stopped entirely.

Headaches and dizzyness, etc. could be hyperventilating, could be other problems - possibly unrelated. Focus on the nosebleeds, get those fixed and go from there.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:17 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
It never hurts to get a second opinion. (From a doctor, not from the internet.)

Old 10-27-2009, 05:50 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
I would get a cancer screening because of the headaches, a check up on her entire cardio health (stress test) and look at how she eats. (does she have an e.d.? Dont have to be thin to have an e.d.)
Not eating right can give you weak veins and electrolyte imbalances (low bp,headaches,tingles and anxiety)

Does he blow her nose a lot/allergies/dry air/picker? Do you think she could be using drugs? (snorting can make your nose bleed)

I would also get a 2nd opinion from a doctor.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:29 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I would get a cancer screening because of the headaches, a check up on her entire cardio health (stress test) and look at how she eats. (does she have an e.d.? Dont have to be thin to have an e.d.)
Not eating right can give you weak veins and electrolyte imbalances (low bp,headaches,tingles and anxiety)

Does he blow her nose a lot/allergies/dry air/picker? Do you think she could be using drugs? (snorting can make your nose bleed)

I would also get a 2nd opinion from a doctor.
Has she had blood work done? That could rule out or identify something and should have been done right away. If the doctor hasn't done a thorough physical and is just saying "panic attacks", you should go to a different doctor.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:00 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,964 times
the management for mild headaches = cancer screen? seriously?

lets just assume for one second that the doctors who have seen her thus far are correct, and she is suffering from anxiety. you think embarking on a full screen for a mythical malignancy might just make her anxiety a tiny bit worse?

Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 AM

- Eating disorder - no (my wife enjoys her food but not to the overeating extent)
- no drugs (cant afford them)
- second opinion - done that but with the same results - "its panic attacks" - but the meds just dont seem to be helping

but will go for a complete "physical" this weekend (its bloody expensive and medical aid doesnt cover it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness