Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:23 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I eat diatomachious earth twice a week to get rid of any intestinal parasites or worms.
Unless you know you actually have parasites or worms, why take anything for them?

Common Intestinal Parasites - March 1, 2004 - American Family Physician

Old 01-27-2012, 05:00 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I eat diatomachious earth twice a week to get rid of any intestinal parasites or worms.
There are two kinds of diatomachious earth. Do not take the stuff that they use in swimming pools. I don't have personal experience with this, though, people have said that on another forum.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:19 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
This is the National Institutes of Health article on pinworms. Are you doing all of these things?

Pinworms - PubMed Health

There are newer treatments for pinworms, and worms in general, as some worms become resistant over time to the old medications. Much of the newer stuff, however, is just available for animals and not humans.

There is a site called cure zone which addresses worms and some seem to say that fenbendazole (the animal upgrade to albendazole) cured pinworms and then they came back. A few people say they had a cure with vermox(if you google this drug, it seems as though it is available over the counter)I would still ask your doctor if it's appropriate.

I would advise against taking an animal drug as they have not been tested on humans and since animals have differing metabolisms than humans, the dose per pound of body weight would be different (such as, a human's dose might be only one fifth of a dog's dose - and horses differ from both of these).

Here is the (rather primitive) site:

Thread: My upcoming experiment with chronic toxocara infection at Parasites: Drugs Support Forum (ThreadID: 1279553)

Old 01-29-2012, 09:57 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Has anyone tried Pyrantel Pamoate?

I've heard this works very well...And also that EVERYONE should be treated for parasites/worms regularly because this is a very common cause of bigger health problems in the Unites States.

Antiparasitic Drugs Over the Counter - Human Parasites Symptoms*|*Human Parasites Symptoms

Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Has anyone tried Pyrantel Pamoate?

I've heard this works very well...And also that EVERYONE should be treated for parasites/worms regularly because this is a very common cause of bigger health problems in the Unites States.

Antiparasitic Drugs Over the Counter - Human Parasites Symptoms*|*Human Parasites Symptoms
Do you have a reference for your statement?

There are tests for worms & parasites. You do not need to be treated for a condition you may not even have.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Do you have a reference for your statement?

Yeah, the link I posted.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Quote:
Yeah, the link I posted.
Any reference besides the link to someone selling the product? Like, a reputable medical journal or CDC stats, etc.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Any reference besides the link to someone selling the product? Like, a reputable medical journal or CDC stats, etc.

If you read the article, you'll see it's not an advertisement for the product.

*eta: Ya know what, you can't even buy the recommended product on this page. It's an informative link about worms & parasites in general. She suggests going to a feed store, because the product can safely be used on both animals and humans...Man, you guys...

"Dr. Denice Moffat is a practicing naturopath, medical intuitive, and veterinarian working on the family unit (which includes humans and animals) through her phone consultation practice established in 1995. She has a content-rich website at http://www.NaturalHealthTechniques.com and free internationally distributed monthly newsletter."

Last edited by D217; 01-29-2012 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the link I posted.
I meant a scientific study, not the opinion of a naturopath.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I meant a scientific study, not the opinion of a naturopath.
Here are two scientific studies I found today:

Poor Americans in the United States suffer hidden burden of parasitic and other neglected diseases
"Because these parasitic infections only occur among impoverished people and mostly underrepresented minorities in the U.S.," he says, "I believe that there has been a lack of political will to study the problem. It is easier to allow these diseases of poverty to simply remain neglected."

Worms and parasites afflict the poorest in the U.S. : Parasites in the News : Archived Stories, Articles, Studies, etc. : Parasitology.com
"It's amazing what we tolerate," Hotez said. He noted the United States spends $1 billion a year preparing for outbreaks of diseases that have not occurred, including smallpox, anthrax and avian influenza.
"But these (other) diseases are occurring among voiceless people," he said. "It's an unintended form of racism in a sense. We need to make these disease household words."

-Thank you for motivating me to provide more research on the subject, I am learning alot today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness