Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:13 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well.

I don't go to conventional medical doctors, but I did once. I had an appointment with a regular medical doctor many, many years ago for an annual ladies examination with a female doctor. I was in the examination room in the obligatory examining gown when the physician's assistant came in and informed me that we would have to reschedule the appointment because the doctors daughter had gone into premature labor. The doctor had left her office full of patients so that she could "be at her daughter's side".

From that moment on, I never had anything to do with female doctors. Fortunately for me, for the last 30 years or so, I have not gone to a conventional doctor, but even in my own health arena, when I go to chiropractors, naturopaths, holistic doctors, etc., I will only choose men because women practitioners in these fields sometimes have pregnant daughters too.

20yrsinBranson
What a ridiculous response to a rare situation....

Heaven forbid "you" be inconvenienced by a situation MOST patients would be incredibly understanding and supportive of, personally I would prefer to see a physician that would leave to care for their own family member in a time of crisis, shows the likelihood for a grounded empathetic human being...someone MORE likely to be empathetic with their patients....

What happens if the "male" surgeon gets caught in the OR doing emergency surgery and has to cancel the afternoon clinic, happens ALL the time...

I guess "male" chiropractors, naturopaths, "holistic doctors", witch doctors, voodoo practitioners never get sick or have family emergencies...maybe they can just "see" into the future and cancel appointments by telepathy if needed..

Hope its worked out well for you, after all during those "emergency" sessions with a "naturopath" you could DIE if it were a woman leaving to care for her pregnant daughter before selling you your herbs or laying hands on you, flashing crystals or whatever other nonsense they do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 12:06 PM

43 posts, read 36,470 times
I would only accept treatment from a male doctor. Never needed anything until now though.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:13 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times
Female... Especially if it's gynaecological issues.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:18 PM

63 posts, read 164,275 times
Male doctor all the way. Wouldn't trust a female doctor at all.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:53 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What a ridiculous response to a rare situation....

Heaven forbid "you" be inconvenienced by a situation MOST patients would be incredibly understanding and supportive of, personally I would prefer to see a physician that would leave to care for their own family member in a time of crisis, shows the likelihood for a grounded empathetic human being...someone MORE likely to be empathetic with their patients....

What happens if the "male" surgeon gets caught in the OR doing emergency surgery and has to cancel the afternoon clinic, happens ALL the time...

I guess "male" chiropractors, naturopaths, "holistic doctors", witch doctors, voodoo practitioners never get sick or have family emergencies...maybe they can just "see" into the future and cancel appointments by telepathy if needed..

Hope its worked out well for you, after all during those "emergency" sessions with a "naturopath" you could DIE if it were a woman leaving to care for her pregnant daughter before selling you your herbs or laying hands on you, flashing crystals or whatever other nonsense they do....
That is hilarious.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I've had two female doctors, and they were fine, one was excellent, but after years of experience now, my default choice is a male doctor. The society has become noticeably anti male. Plus I've had some not so pleasant experiences with some very nasty women in supposedly professional settings. As a result, I'll default to a man, given the choice.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:03 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasX51 View Post
In theory, yes. In practice, they're are women, they giggle and comment everything with everyone.
My woman doctor is all business. She is by far the best doctor I ever had.

Never once did I feel I was being rushed out of the office and either says "let's talk" or "what can I do for you" when I see her.

As far as "giggle" goes I have a story about my last male doctor that I will not go into.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:47 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times
The only time it matters to me is if it's a gynecologist. Then I prefer a woman, although my last one was a male and he was very good and professional. Put you right at ease. A relative also went to him, so I went on her recommendation. (A recommendation is how most people get started with a gynecologist, I think.)

Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
I'm currently in the midst of dropping my male gyno, who was my OB. I did not like the way he handled things and me when I was getting ready to go into labor. Fortunately, he wasn't there for the birth. I had a team of amazing women instead and it turned out to be a great fit for me and my daughter.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,325 times
I really don't care. If they are competent with a good personality and actually listen to me, I couldn't care less about gender or anything else. My longtime ob/gyn was male -- when we moved, I had to find a new doctor who is female. I like her, but not as much as my old doctor. I've had bad experiences with doctors of both genders, and truly great ones with both genders as well. Non-issue here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness