Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 11:32 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,659,306 times

Advertisements

No joke. More suicides occur the month of April than any other month of the year.

That doesn't seem right, I know. Peach and azure tulips begin to open, the cherry blossoms, stunning with their pale pink flowers, perfume the neighborhood. The feeling of rebirth, of new beginnings, of hope is palpable in the air

No April Joke: 20 Things You Should Know About Suicide - Beyond Blue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 11:40 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,208,531 times
..April showers..

Old 05-14-2010, 11:48 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,243,919 times
Or maybe April 15th!

Old 05-14-2010, 05:23 PM

345 posts, read 1,643,566 times
Since the high points for suicide are the spring and fall and these are also the high points for pollen, it may have something to do with histamines/ histadelia.

Just a thought

Diagnose-Me: Condition: Histadelia (Histamine High)

http://www.orthomolecular.org/librar...17n01-p017.pdf

Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,173,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
No joke. More suicides occur the month of April than any other month of the year.

That doesn't seem right, I know. Peach and azure tulips begin to open, the cherry blossoms, stunning with their pale pink flowers, perfume the neighborhood. The feeling of rebirth, of new beginnings, of hope is palpable in the air

No April Joke: 20 Things You Should Know About Suicide - Beyond Blue
1. The peak seasons for suicides are in early spring and early autumn. In the US, suicides for both men and women peak in April and May, while suicides in women alone show a rise in September and October.

I have often hoped that when it is my time to "go" that I die in Spring or Fall. I think it would be such a terrible thing to die in the summer or the winter and never see another spring or fall. I think that is why suicides decide to go in those seasons - because they know it isn't going to get any better. Might as well do it when the weather is nice and the flowers/leaves are beautiful.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-14-2010, 11:54 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,303,438 times
One thing that the article didn't address is that it's O-Kay to ask a person if they are thinking about suicide and then asking them what their plan is.

You can't cause a person to commit suicide by asking them if they are thinking about it and if you are suspicious you should by all means ask.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:22 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,336,814 times
there's plenty missing from that list...
"if a person says they will do it, they won't"..that's such a huge misconception
ask them how they will do it and if they have a plan in place..all that tells you is how serious they may be....is that gonna stop them? nope..once they're 100 % sure of what they'll do and have the plans in place it's just a matter of time, the "trick" is to catch them before they reach that point of no return and then maybe you can get them help..
also, most suicides are spur of the moment and aren't planned at all....
the person may be at wits end and not realize it, then all they need is one small thing to send them over the edge
some say "I would never kill myself over this or that" ..it isn't done because of "this or that" or some minor thing, but a succession of things piling up on a person...
and another thing... keeping a secret is the worst thing, if you know someone who's deseperate, do not keep it from others who may be able to help..
making the suicidal person promise they won't take their own life can help send them over the edge...they are not in a state of mind to be saddled with guilt that can come with making promises they can't keep...maybe it's better to ask them to not leave without saying goodbye...it's very tricky and there's no sure thing, what works for one, doesn't automatically work for another...we're all individuals...
listening/talking is the key...it can bring a lot of relief to the person who sees no way out, to have someone just sit and listen without saying anything...

Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 AM

23,622 posts, read 70,554,955 times
Spring is about when natural vitamin D levels are the lowest in many people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness