Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times

Advertisements

I had a nose bleed long ago, and the MD told me, plain and simple, "well, there could always be a tumor behind your nose."

And recently I got a bill for lab work (but my recent dermatologist appointment had no lab work done...)

So, what is the most outlandish thing you have ever heard/gone through?
I am not asking for medical errors stories, just plain simple absurd ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
An idiot suggested surgery on my toes because I had some fungus between two of them!

There was another case, just as good, but I don't feel like sharing that. Just take my word for it - it was of equal value!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:57 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
I haven't really heard anything too outlandish except once on an hmo policy I had I was referred to a dermatologist who was about 80-something years old who took about a nickel size slice out of my thigh for a biopsy. I self diagnosed it was chiggers (which went away) because there was no way I was going back there for the results.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:59 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I had a nose bleed long ago, and the MD told me, plain and simple, "well, there could always be a tumor behind your nose."

And recently I got a bill for lab work (but my recent dermatologist appointment had no lab work done...)

So, what is the most outlandish thing you have ever heard/gone through?
I am not asking for medical errors stories, just plain simple absurd ones.

My doctor once told me I was pregnant... come to find out he was joking. My life flashed before my eyes and I swore at him.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:45 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
"I think you should gain weight so you can qualify for bariatric surgery"
Honest - I was asking for genuine help / support for weight loss but I was about 20lbs under the morbid obesity cutoff.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:33 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
At the age of 45, I'd have a real heavy period that lasted for a whole month. I knew it was Perimenopause so I went to the doctor to mainly see how we could just stop that period.

He wanted to do all kinds of expensive tests and stuff before doing anything and I refused saying it was Perimenopause and I just wanted to stop that period. He said I was way to young to be at that stage in my life, despite the fact that I had been having hot flashed for several years by then and kept insisting I have those tests and we argued back and forth until he asked me "WHO IS THE DOCTOR HERE!?".. I told him he was suppose to be but I am the one whio LIVES in this body and I know what is going on and if he won't listen to me then we had nothing further to discuss and told him he could leave.. I got dressed and have never seen him again.

Left there and went to one of those walk in doctors and we discussed why I was there and the previous doctors attitude and we stopped that period. THAT folks, was indeed my very last period, I haven't had one since!

Another one is when I went to see a new doctor because I was tired of my pill pushing old one. This guy, walked in the room with several free packs of Lexapro, handed them to me and told me I needed to start taking those. He had never met me or not even spoken to me before. When I asked what they were for he just said "JUST TAKE THEM!".. Needless to say, I walked out and have not been back to see him either.

and another one... I had went to one of the best eye doctors in our area. They did the eye exam and I got the new Rx, had it filled there and got my new glasses, only to discover they were not any good for my eyes. I went to another doctor right away, asked him to check those glasses and my eyes and see if they were right for me. He came back laughing and asked who in the world gave me those, that they were so wrong that it was hard to believe! I asked for the RX I needed, got new glasses there and they WORKED perfect for me..

Back to the first place and had the glasses checked to make sure they were made as prescribed for me, they were. So I asked to see the doctor to discuss this. His nurse told me he was THE BEST in our area and there was NO way he made a mistake when he examined my eyes.. I politely told here, "well, that was the answer to the problem of what went wrong, HE did not examine my eyes, some assistant did and he just came in the room and handed me the Rx and that was all he did... Now is when it gets good!... They go get him and he comes out accusing me of doing all kinds of stuff and trying to scam THEM! I reminded him that these eyeballs I had in my head at that time were the same one that his assistant had examined, I did NOT switch eye balls on them, I PROMISE! I just wanted them to make it right and I'd be on my way. In a huff, he told her to give me a refund and looked at me and said "I am going to terminate our relationship, you will not be welcome here anymore!".. I laughed so hard as I went out the door saying "Like I would ever come back here and waste my money!"

Last edited by Laura707; 05-20-2010 at 12:48 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 01:00 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
A doctor suggested that a calcium deficiency could be solved by eating Tums. This is soooo bad because antacids are designed to NOT be absorbed but to neutralize acids. If you need calcium you need a supplement designed for absorption.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:07 PM

15 posts, read 54,256 times
I had a gyno tell me that I had a tumor in my uterus the size of a lemon. Sent me for all kinds of tests.

Turned out it was my uterus!!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:17 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
Also, let me add something that is not exactly an outlandish story, but I simply, for the life of me, cannot understand.

Why is it that most nurses/assistants make it so difficult for patients to contact the doctor directly?!

If I have a question for the doctor it is about my health and very important to me, and I want to have it directly answered by someone who spent many years in med school and hopefully is qualified enough to answer that.

I usually get exams results by an assistant who will roughly call me and say "you have x, you don't have y".
I do not want someone to read my exam other than the MD.
I do not trust someone to read/interpret my exam other than the MD.
I do not want to discuss my health issues with a third party, so that:
1.will have to retell all to MD when his royal highness enters the room;
2.will have to hope and pray everybody is perfect and the assistant/nurse explains to MD 100% accurately all I told him/her so that there is a lower chance of a mistake;

Either way, it is a lose/lose situation.

You need a dentist you see a dentist, not a dental hygienist. All my respect to nurses/hygienists/assistants of any kind, I am just trying to understand why I pay heavily for one service and get another one.
Honestly I could not care less if the doctor is really busy or overworked. I have enough problems to handle and every one is paid to do a certain job that will satisfy the customer.

I used to go to a doctor who would have long appointments and only the doctor would discuss things with patients. Saw him till I moved somewhere else and referred him to a million friends.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:29 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
A doctor suggested that a calcium deficiency could be solved by eating Tums. This is soooo bad because antacids are designed to NOT be absorbed but to neutralize acids. If you need calcium you need a supplement designed for absorption.
Ummm....

TUMS IS a safe and effective source of calcium supplementation....

The doctor that suggested you take it is a supplement was correct, the information you have about TUMS ONLY neutralizing acids it what is incorrect.

Calcium carbonate in TUMS is not as readily absorbed as calcium citrate....but it IS absorbed and it is a much cheaper source of calcium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness