Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,747 times

Advertisements

Most of the culture of the Five Civilized Tribes, Creek, Chickasaw, Cherokee, Seminole and Choctaw has been lost; however, the language of some of the tribes is being taught again.

Typically, most indians eat a lot of starchy foods i.e., beans, sofki, breads, potatoes, fry-bread ect., hence the trouble with diabetes is high among them. Indians use their tribal medicine made from roots, natural running water and other "secret" ingredients. If someone doesn't believe in the medicine, it simply won't work for them.They believe in "little people", stihkinni, and shapeshifting. They believe a person must be buried with all their body parts. They hold three day wakes and someone is with the recently passed-on at all times. And, last but not least, they are very tribal as in they all live near each other and if a white person is with them, they make fun of them and stick with their color.

Thats about all I can think of for the Indians in Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I lived with Cherokee in NE OK and had a different experience. I agree with Sky walker in that poverty is away of life. The BIA is a mess. I've seen identical houses both government built and Indian owned. House A had carpet and indoor pumbing and central heat. . House B had a 50 Gallong oil drum in the corner for heat, linoleum and non running water. The reason House A was nicer was because the lady was widowed and her kids paid for everything. It is a national shame. I lved 25 years in Cherokee Territory and learned more than I am willing to put in print.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The reason I posed the question the way i did, is because I've learned more about Indians in those two conversations of several hours, than I've learned in all the books I've ever read combined.

Sure, I've known people who say "I'm part Indian" (my brother in law, for example), but they've never lived on a reservation, or even visited one. Most assimilated Indians just don't really know much more about Indian history and culture than the rest of us do.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:30 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Agreeing with noetsi.

There were quite a few cultures and historical eras that to consider them all the same would leave out much.

Most NA history seems to be focused on just one aspect, war between Indians and Europeans.

There was quite much from roads they built, the way they used dogs, then horses to transport cargo, the many migrations, the civilized tribes who had agriculture, their food, textiles, daily life, etc...

A problem I have with the history that comes from NAs themselves is that it either appears highly romanticized or mysterious with poetic speech. That is not history but then again we all have our own national mythologies.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quite a bit. I knew people who were part of the siege in Wounded Knee in 1973 (American Indian Movement) and I was there about a month after it ended to see them.

Currently reading "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne. Which is about Quanah Parker, his white mother, and the Comanches.

A few years ago we were up in Four Corners and got to talking with a guy (Navajo) who was about to take a group of German tourists out for their "John Wayne BBQ". (His words Lol.) Found out we had mutual friends. All of the tourists were amazed to see a white woman talking English with this man. Still makes me smile when I think of it. (BTW there are people who live on the rez up there who live without electricity and an easy source of water or enough food.)

Old 09-07-2010, 02:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Most Americans know very little about the ways Native Americans lived in the past. The only thing they know less about is how their own ancestors lived.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Most Americans know very little about the ways Native Americans lived in the past. The only thing they know less about is how their own ancestors lived.
Well, Why don't you enlighten us? My ancestors were Indian on my fathers side, in fact my gggrandfather was hung in the Arapahoe Nation in early 1900 for horse theiving. I did a lot of reading on the Indians of the southwest in colonial times and learned a bit there. I would like to know what a hometown guy has to say.

Many of my husbands paternal ancestors were born in New Mexico and are in the Isleta book of Births and Marriages as well as Pauline Chavez travesty of a genealogical study.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
There were hundreds of tribes and their culture varied signficantly even within the same region.
AFAIR, there were more than 500 American Indian Nations within the current contiguous 48 states, and more than 300 different languages. To ask about a single American Indian culture is like asking about a single European culture.

Actually, on further thought, the number of American Indian cultures is approximately double the number of European cultures of which I'm aware. Not that I'm a cultural anthropologist or anything.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Old 09-08-2010, 03:51 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Isleta is just a few miles from me. You should come visit on feast days to see first hand something about living Native American culture!

Old 09-08-2010, 04:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
Most of the culture of the Five Civilized Tribes, Creek, Chickasaw, Cherokee, Seminole and Choctaw has been lost;
With all due respect, where this this come from? I know that heroic efforts have been made to preserve and document the culture and languages of the "Five Civilized Tribes", including their several variants. In fact, and speaking only for the Choctaw, even today there remain enclaves of culture, in or near the original home lands, that are still very much alive.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes (Mississippi Choctaw)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History